A different angle to balancing Parrying/Alchemy?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Current UO:F PvPers:
magicians.png
(Expl pots! Expl pots! Expl pots!)

Almost everyone throws expl pots. It's an accepted item used during PvP now, and not only to "stop people from running": it's used throughout fights - not just the beginning - as another means of damaging the opponent. They don't splash properly, don't require the alchemy skill to deal damage, and heat-seek... and it doesn't appear that it's an item that's going anywhere anytime soon. So be it.

Expl pots currently don't have a counter... a way to lessen or negate their damage. Why not tweak that? Instead of adjusting expl pot mechanics, why not tweak an often-neglected skill that could use a boost: parrying. Like those spartan guys did:

300460.jpg

(This could be YOU!)
Suggestion: make it so someone with GM parrying can parry an expl pot, just as they can parry attacks. Have a "You parry the attackers potion!" message appear (or not). This would give a significant value to parrying, a skill that's oft-neglected in the field today. And, with how common expl pots are by mages, parrying could actually see utility against both mages and dexers.

tl;dr - make it so parrying can parry expl pots.

Kairus

Adept
+1 parry should do more idd, but UOF pvpers will just say:

"you dare come to our city steps and insult explo pots, you threaten my people with parryable explo pots."

and you will be like " this is blasphemy! this is madness!"

and they will be like "this is UOF!"

Winstonian

Grandmaster
+1 parry should do more idd, but UOF pvpers will just say:

"you dare come to our city steps and insult explo pots, you threaten my people with parryable explo pots."

and you will be like " this is blasphemy! this is madness!"

and they will be like "this is UOF!"
Hand clap. Well done.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Current UO:F PvPers:
magicians.png
(Expl pots! Expl pots! Expl pots!)

Almost everyone throws expl pots. It's an accepted item used during PvP now, and not only to "stop people from running": it's used throughout fights - not just the beginning - as another means of damaging the opponent. They don't splash properly, don't require the alchemy skill to deal damage, and heat-seek... and it doesn't appear that it's an item that's going anywhere anytime soon. So be it.

Expl pots currently don't have a counter... a way to lessen or negate their damage. Why not tweak that? Instead of adjusting expl pot mechanics, why not tweak an often-neglected skill that could use a boost: parrying. Like those spartan guys did:

300460.jpg

(This could be YOU!)
Suggestion: make it so someone with GM parrying can parry an expl pot, just as they can parry attacks. Have a "You parry the attackers potion!" message appear (or not). This would give a significant value to parrying, a skill that's oft-neglected in the field today. And, with how common expl pots are by mages, parrying could actually see utility against both mages and dexers.

tl;dr - make it so parrying can parry expl pots.

Spell channeling kite shields.

Young Star

Grandmaster
I like it. Parry really could use some attention to broaden it's usefulness. I know most wouldn't like it if parry was deflecting spells but this seems reasonable.

Amalgam

Journeyman
What is Parry skill if it can't have a chance to fend off all or some of the damage from an explosion pot?

Wouldn't expect much chance from a buckler... but one of those heater shields? Would reckon so.

Sephid

Master
I was about to make a thread suggesting this very thing pretty much. Only i was thinking GM parry + Shield = __% Explosion potion damage reduction but to add to that the op's idea for a chance to parry the potion completely with just parry i like as well.

So lets resurrect this thread!

drasked

Grandmaster
Dexers and other templates with healing are already very hard to pot down.

Why boost dexers even more?