An idea for statloss re-vamp

If this wasnt UO, then the 48 hours might be ok. But this is UO, so 50% of your deaths will come from bullshit, eg: lag, client crash, incurable poison from mobs, or the inevitable 50+ dmg clown punch from a drunk dragon. Then the next 40% will come from getting swarmed and chased down by stunpunch exp pot pvpers and their lovable scripts, and finally 10% will be legitimate "good fights." Not to mention any butter brained bystander can run up with his script and instantly take your head and then wait 9.5 hours before turning it in, depending on a time that is tailored for your optimal grief.

So with a 48 hour stat loss, and really only a small fraction of a chance of having a fun fight, there isn't much incentive. I'd say 24 hours max is more realistic.

If this wasnt UO, then the 48 hours might be ok. But this is UO, so 50% of your deaths will come from bullshit, eg: lag, client crash, incurable poison from mobs, or the inevitable 50+ dmg clown punch from a drunk dragon. Then the next 40% will come from getting swarmed and chased down by stunpunch exp pot pvpers and their lovable scripts, and finally 10% will be legitimate "good fights." Not to mention any butter brained bystander can run up with his script and instantly take your head and then wait 9.5 hours before turning it in, depending on a time that is tailored for your optimal grief.

So with a 48 hour stat loss, and really only a small fraction of a chance of having a fun fight, there isn't much incentive. I'd say 24 hours max is more realistic.

haha this made me laugh because of the truth in it . But i dont think 24 hours will change. I say up the max price you can sell heads back for. This will keep people from turning them in if they can get something for it that isnt a cheap 25k. I mean people can offer w/e they want, but max is 25k? That is a joke, i would turn in the head for the grief of it vs selling it for 25k.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
thats part of the problem

the fact that most players would rather insta stat than allow for a buyback is partially the problem, mixed with wetbreasts logic about this being UO and people will die for silly reasons like lag. But also I posted because I believe this shard needs more feild hotspots and less bard killing. And because I think theres too much temptation to keep forcing the pks to log off, it will i think bite UOF in the ass eventually

The idea is subject to alteration or criticism of course, but at least I would ask people to post more on topic and constructively.
If you think 25k is a joke, dont be afraid to post a different number.

I put 25k for feild and 50k for dungeon simply because it matches the current rates, so there shouldn't be any real issue. For some reds this price would be paid more than once in a day, it could be paid once per hour really, if the player died that often. that can amount to some pretty expensive days for some players, but at least they would have the option for the softer stat if they couldn't afford it, and not be insta statted as a greif tool by players with chest puff issues

Super Trammie

Apprentice
I'm not sure if its the reds I'm killing, or pride, or whatever else, but I have only ever had one head bought back from me at 25k.

Normally I don't even get a response, and if I do it is along the lines of "lol fuk u noob" with a 1gp counter offer with the hopes of me clicking the wrong button.

Upping the max offer won't change much, if anything. I'd gladly sell heads back for 5k, if people would actually take the time to negotiate. People just don't care. Either because they're embarrassed they died, don't have the gold, are too proud to pay, or have 7 other reds to log onto.

Statloss is fine the way it is.

halygon

Grandmaster
I'm not sure if its the reds I'm killing, or pride, or whatever else, but I have only ever had one head bought back from me at 25k.

Normally I don't even get a response, and if I do it is along the lines of "lol fuk u noob" with a 1gp counter offer with the hopes of me clicking the wrong button.

Upping the max offer won't change much, if anything. I'd gladly sell heads back for 5k, if people would actually take the time to negotiate. People just don't care. Either because they're embarrassed they died, don't have the gold, are too proud to pay, or have 7 other reds to log onto.

Statloss is fine the way it is.
Yeah, I hate dealing with people, so I just collect heads and display them on my house. Unfortunately I lost some good PK heads with this server crash. :-/

A'zah

Apprentice
I personally think there should be some sort of mechanic involved where the red player receives some sort of reward for killing a blue player who has a track record of killing red players or turning in bounties. Even something small like providing a get out of jail free card so to speak, where the blue players head could be used to shorten or end statloss on a red character. I just feel that in the war of reds vs blues the reds have a lot more to risk than the blues, now keep in mind I am talking about anti-pk blues, that regularly battle with reds, not dungeon crawling blues who only run or get pked by reds and do not often put up much of a fight.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
hmm, i like it

maybe murderers automatically could become chaos, and players can turn in bounties to become order?

edit* maybe turning in one single head would make you order, for X time until you could opt out of being order?? thus making the person orange to all reds

could be nice :D

would only really work if it was ip or at least account bound tho

then reds could turn in order heads for credit towards their next bounty

Last edited by a moderator:

Snickle

Grandmaster
to keep somone not playing UOF for 48 hrs seems counter productive to me. ( i dont often play my reds either)

I have 3 pks.
If (and it never happens) all three happen to go into stat loss and all for the length of 48 hours (it loops everytime, by the time one is down to 12 horus or so, thats when my second would get statted, or my third) I just go to tmaps, champs, dungeon crawls on my macer/provoker. I don't stop playing UOF for 2 days. Not nearly that. Mostly because I have 2 other reds I can log onto or because I just PVM. But then again I enjoy PVM just as much as I enjoy pvp/pking.

If you're really that big into PVP and PKing then you should try having more then one red. Definitely worth the character slot.
I have 8 characters (3 red/mages, t-hunter, provo/macer, 2 crafters and provo/archer) and I can't think of another one I'd need (maybe tamer, but I never enjoyed tamers. At all)

The current stat loss system is perfect except for the fact that YOU LOSE HALF YOUR KILLS! :(
But that's another topic for another thread: http://uoforum.com/threads/losing-1-2-kills-in-stat-loss.37965/

wreckognize

Grandmaster
1) The system forcing you to need more than one char is lame, imho. I'm sure theres a few people who play UO that at least see my point here. You shouldn't need several chars to compete casually.

2) Even though logically with the current system anyone who pk's should have more than one red, not everyone does (newer players especially that arent quite hooked enough yet) this is UO, not the most user friendly game amirite?? macroing is a pain in the ass for new players.

3) Making anyone log off is bad.

There's gotta be a better alternative. The current system was a quick fix for when there was no system and problems ensued. I agree that it has done well to prevent this server from dying from too many pks, but I think that there's room for improvement that could benefit the shard even more.