Attn: Shane & Staff - Bring back Ship Ransom System, please?

Bring back ransom system for ship vs. ship PvP

• No, I'm all about that tram life.

• Yes, because I like to -earn- my keep.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shortbus

Grandmaster
Only problem is my bank box and houses dont have enough room for all the ships that would be in my possession. Lockdowns and bank storage would have to increase 10x minimum and people would be so sick of it and not be at sea. If be like the Godfather of the sea...people would come to me for assistance and have to make me offers i couldnt refuse.

Could be interesting, but as Jax says everyone would have a dono boat and then you are back to square one.

Leave it as is imho...fights are fun when had, can hop right back in for more fun immediately after a rezz/restock (just like field pvp)...the only downside is the red pirates statting other red pirates. Should be a pirate code that you do not stat each other...Ive never statted another pirate and will only stat if they stat me first. I live by the code...too bad they all dont.

darthdeus

Journeyman
You can't have people spending millions on a boat for it to be captured

This sounds a lot like meta pets to me.

That is why I suggested Shane add a donation item blessed ship to the donation vendor. This way, players that are about that tram life can float around and pretend to be a big sea dog without risking losing their ship.

That wouldnt' really help in the long term imho ... but having a ship-ball (much like pet ball) that has limited charges and allows you to rescue your boat ...

Phineas

Master
To lose a Galleon before, would cost roughly 250k.. on the old system of "sink, repair, and collect".. I remember having a power outage while I was at sea, when I was able to get back on, I had lost my Tokuno. Now with the new system.. the Galleons costs close to 3 mil if you were to buy the materials needed to make one. So to lose a galleon now over something, like a power outage, would be devastating. This will not draw more folks to the Sea, people would fear ever going out onto the water. And if they did, it would never be on a Galleon.. The risks now are losing your possessions like any PVP situation. It may not be too risky for the guys that just sail the seas looking to take a surprise cheap shot on an unsuspecting fisherman.. But to the fisherman, that is actually trying to make a coin, he's going be out all of his gear including MiBs, Gold, Gear, etc. which can be quite risky. And even for the pirate, to be competitive, you have to have a level 10 boat with upgrades.. so you now risk 30-40k in upgrades alone. That's a lot more risk than that sack of pots you'll score from jumping noobs in Shame, right?

I haven't seen HAR on the water in almost a year. And with all due respect Captain Bloodbeard, I have never seen you in battle or even heard of you being in a battle. So to call yourself the "undisputed" champions of the Seas or whatever, is pretty humorous. And I'm sure it brought a smile to the faces of all that actually do sail.

Return to the Seas to salvage the HAR reputation, don't return to steal millions off people who are not as good at warfare as you. I vote NO on this idea.. The Galleon now is way too hard to collect materials to build, and costs way too much gold to buy.. I believe this ransom concept will deter new folks from sea adventures, rather than promote it. Interesting idea though Captain..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruno D

Adept
Phineas, didn't we recruit you on the sea b/c u were getting murdered by pirates? wtf r u tombat?

But, you guys are right. I don't play anymore because of this plague of tramminess that is like a bad fart smell that won't extinguish it's foul odor that seems to be engulfing the server in its fumes.

I'd love to get 3 million for every galleon that I sink. I guess I can't blame you for being poor. Or scared.

Bringing back ship ransom is a great idea.

The drop rates of materials could be increased if needed but if I was a noob I'd love to sink your ship for 3m.

If I lost it then it wouldn't be the end of the world because I could go out and sink another one with a small...

If I was a veteran I might have a reason to fight back and actually have a reason to partake in in the fight and have a chance at making 3m.

If that isn't reason to get people on the water then I don't know what is.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
Phineas, didn't we recruit you on the sea b/c u were getting murdered by pirates? wtf r u tombat?

But, you guys are right. I don't play anymore because of this plague of tramminess that is like a bad fart smell that won't extinguish it's foul odor that seems to be engulfing the server in its fumes.

I'd love to get 3 million for every galleon that I sink. I guess I can't blame you for being poor. Or scared.

Bringing back ship ransom is a great idea.

The drop rates of materials could be increased if needed but if I was a noob I'd love to sink your ship for 3m.

If I lost it then it wouldn't be the end of the world because I could go out and sink another one with a small...

If I was a veteran I might have a reason to fight back and actually have a reason to partake in in the fight and have a chance at making 3m.

If that isn't reason to get people on the water then I don't know what is.

If gold is the whole driving force then do mibs. The fuck are you even talking about?

Ship pvp is the driving force. Right now there isn't any because there's no reason to defend your ship.

Have you ever been a sea lately? If so must be when we are not on because your tone would change rather quickly. Wait...I thought you no longer played here anymore?

But, you guys are right. I don't play anymore

You wouldn't survive 1 day on the sea against the Trinsic Navy and RedRum. You would be crying that you couldn't get any of your ships back and our fleet would increase in size.

You lose. You get nothing. Good day sir.

Good-day-sir.png

Bruno D

Adept
The problem is that is if you win you don't get anything either.

Ship fights were fun when there was there was risk and reward involved.

Now it has everything to do with preying upon the weak/AFK who leave loot on board.

There's never been much fun in that but I'm glad you guys are enjoying yourselves.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
Ship pvp is the driving force. Right now there isn't any because there's no reason to defend your ship.

Then why does the gold part even matter? If ship pvp is what you're after and several members of Trin have said in this thread they are active at sea, then what are you going on about? You have what you want. Your driving force is gold, otherwise this thread wouldn't even exist. Just go fight if that's what you want.

Bruno D

Adept
Then why does the gold part even matter? If ship pvp is what you're after and several members of Trin have said in this thread they are active at sea, then what are you going on about? You have what you want. Your driving force is gold, otherwise this thread wouldn't even exist. Just go fight if that's what you want.

At least if you sink a ship and have a chance to take it, it gives you temporary ownership of that territory while your enemy scrambles to get a new ship on the water.

If you don't want to lose your ship then fight for it!

Just like a murderer has to fight to keep his head.

Just like a victim has to fight to keep his loot.

How would you like it if every time you killed a murderer, their head automatically went to their bank box so they could run right back into the fight on the same character? Or if you were a murderer and you killed someone, they got to keep their best item? It's the same concept.

It this rate we might as well make the ocean a safe zone so everyone can farm mibs and WP's all day with nothing to worry about because that's what is happening.

There is little to no risk in farming the materials to make the ships other then the time spent gathering them because you can't lose your ship. For those of you complaining that they are too expensive are looking at like a trammy and not looking at from the perspective that it goes both ways.

Sure you might lose it, that is the risk you take for farming millions on the waters.

Then again, if someone came at you on a galleon and you sunk it then you'd get to keep it because you earned the right to take it and now you've earned the right to stay at that WP for a while.

This is an old game and some of us have been playing for 15+ years so doing mibs, whirlpools and ship vs. ship pvp isn't exciting unless there is something to be lost or gained.

If PvM is fun for you then that is awesome, just use a small if you can't use a ship designed for pvp. You don't need a galleon to make millions farming mibs.

If that sort of gameplay was fun for me I would go play WoW or GW2 or one of the many other MMOS where there isn't any risk in getting slaughtered.

P.S.

If Trin was awesome at naval combat then why would they be trying to de-rail a thread that threatens their tram lifestyle?

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
They aren't going to change it so the point is mute. There is a ton of other things they're working on before revamping the boat system again.
I can almost guarantee it will remain this way for quite some time so either you deal, play, try to have some fun - which our guys have been doing - or don't play. Not trying to be mean or anything just saying this argument is really for no reason. Take it to the sea!

Bruno D

Adept
No revamping is required just add the ransom system back in, simple.

If you don't want to lose your 3m galleon then recall out like you normally would and get your boat delivered to you. Just know that you will have to pay for that luxury.

You all know that anyone sailing around in a galleon can afford a measly ransom to keep making mils.

If they can't then they probably should lose 1 at least once because this is still UO, afterall.

That is why we play UO. For the chance to score big at a champ spawn, at an IDOC or at sea, etc. For those that don't like to play for keeps, just pay the ransom... just like a murderer paying a ransom to avoid stat loss.

This is a win - win for everyone and it's a much needed addition.

The server has gone from fully lootable ships > ransom system > to blessed ships that return to your bank box rendering all the new naval combat additions pointless.

Leaving no risk and no reward left for pirates or pirate hunters.

I just wanted to add that because it seems like the only people complaining about this suggestion don't seem to understand what exactly a "ransom system" is.

Out of all the responses against the ransom system, they all say one thing, "I don't want a ransom system because Bloodbeard suggested it and I don't like that guy because I take this game very personally."

In a year from now when everybody has blessed galleons, there will be no demand and your 3m ship won't be worth much anyways.

Anyhoozle, just a suggestion for the staff to make the game cooler again, hopefully they won't take it personal.

Bruno D

Adept
Only problem is my bank box and houses dont have enough room for all the ships that would be in my possession. Lockdowns and bank storage would have to increase 10x minimum and people would be so sick of it and not be at sea. If be like the Godfather of the sea...people would come to me for assistance and have to make me offers i couldnt refuse.

Could be interesting, but as Jax says everyone would have a dono boat and then you are back to square one.

Leave it as is imho...fights are fun when had, can hop right back in for more fun immediately after a rezz/restock (just like field pvp)...the only downside is the red pirates statting other red pirates. Should be a pirate code that you do not stat each other...Ive never statted another pirate and will only stat if they stat me first. I live by the code...too bad they all dont.

If you are having storage issues with three houses then you need a life or are playing it wrong. We had no problem storing 100's of ships, especially since you can keep them on the water, or in your backpack and not use any lock downs at all...

Bruno D

Adept
This sounds a lot like meta pets to me.

That wouldnt' really help in the long term imho ... but having a ship-ball (much like pet ball) that has limited charges and allows you to rescue your boat ...

Yes, I agree that a ship ball would be a better solution then a "dono ship" for sure.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
Out of all the responses against the ransom system, they all say one thing, "I don't want a ransom system because Bloodbeard suggested it and I don't like that guy because I take this game very personally."
But honestly, I don't know if it would bring more people out. May bring more pirate types but the general population would be too afraid to lose their boats that cost a decent amount of money, especially galleons. You can't have people spending millions on a boat for it to be captured. No one would take one out. Maybe it a ransom system was put back in place it might work. The idea is to have more battles, not collect 100 boats.
And, yes, I know you already proposed some dono blessing thing. Well, then if that happens and most people do that, then aren't you back to square one? Doesn't really make sense. Either have it be unblessed and have risk, or leave it the way it is.
To lose a Galleon before, would cost roughly 250k.. on the old system of "sink, repair, and collect".. I remember having a power outage while I was at sea, when I was able to get back on, I had lost my Tokuno. Now with the new system.. the Galleons costs close to 3 mil if you were to buy the materials needed to make one. So to lose a galleon now over something, like a power outage, would be devastating. This will not draw more folks to the Sea, people would fear ever going out onto the water. And if they did, it would never be on a Galleon.. The risks now are losing your possessions like any PVP situation. It may not be too risky for the guys that just sail the seas looking to take a surprise cheap shot on an unsuspecting fisherman.. But to the fisherman, that is actually trying to make a coin, he's going be out all of his gear including MiBs, Gold, Gear, etc. which can be quite risky. And even for the pirate, to be competitive, you have to have a level 10 boat with upgrades.. so you now risk 30-40k in upgrades alone. That's a lot more risk than that sack of pots you'll score from jumping noobs in Shame, right?
They aren't going to change it so the point is mute. There is a ton of other things they're working on before revamping the boat system again.
I can almost guarantee it will remain this way for quite some time so either you deal, play, try to have some fun - which our guys have been doing - or don't play. Not trying to be mean or anything just saying this argument is really for no reason. Take it to the sea!

I know this is a lot to read, but these were all the responses I saw that are points against yours that have nothing to do with liking you or not. I think you need to get over yourself.

Bruno D

Adept
I know this is a lot to read, but these were all the responses I saw that are points against yours that have nothing to do with liking you or not. I think you need to get over yourself.

Deadpool, the only point that is valid in your response is the fact that people could lose their boats.

So again, let me explain what a ransom system is.

When your ship sinks, you pay a ransom and you don't lose it.

The risk of losing your ship is extremely slim but it still leaves just enough chance to make it worth sinking and at least you get something out of it if you are the one who sunk it.

The dono ship thing was just a last resort suggestion and someone mentioned a ship ball, similar to a pet ball which would be a better solution.

However it would bring $ to the staff and that is what they are interested in so if that's what it takes to get a ransom system then hell yes, I'll take it.

Do you even pirate, bro?

Jax Monroe

Master
Would there be a ransom cap at least? Because who would pay if the opposing side were to jack the price up super high knowing the other side can't pay? And should this ransom be for just galleons or all ships?

I still think the dono thing or even a pet ball isn't the best answer only because then, like I said previously, you're back to square one because all people would just get that so they'd never worry about their ships being lost.