Crafting menue empty - language problems

darktyle

Expert
Heya,

so I have been playing UOF for some days.

The languages have been mixed English/German all the time: Vendors selling items with german names, spellbooks had english spells, skill gain notification were english, stuff like "opening door..." english and so on. Pretty annoying. Also the moongate selection menu didn't show any text (aswell as the report-murderer window).

I have tried setting it in uo.cfg, which didn't do anything at all. After some time I found out that the installer seems to query WIndows' Region and Language settings. So I uninstalled UO completly, set all languages and keyboard layouts to english or US and reinstalled.
Finally it worked! Everything on my client is english now.
Yay. But wait...
All crafting menus are empty, which makes crafting totally impossible. I see all the buttons, but NO button has any text next to it.

Thanks in advance!

darktyle

Expert
Well, if anyone is interested, I fixed it:

You need to have an english keyboard language, even if your keyboard layout is not en_US or en_GB. It's ok to use another layout as long as you keep an english one in the list of available ones. The moment you remove the english one UO just starts bugging and not displaying popup texts, etc.

GarrettThief

Neophyte
Aaah great I have the same problem and will test your fix!

EDIT:

Works for me as well!
And you have to take british english, US english does not work

EDIT2:

Stopped working...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did exactzly all that.

It did'nt helped. All the Popups, moongate-descriptions. crafting-descriptions are still gone.

On top a filled commodity - deed just sais "a filled commodity deed" in its popup. Not whats inside. I heared it should be different?

Installed the client from the website.

Sir Angus

Novice
Frist you have to add that line i your uo.cfg file: UserLanguageCodeString=ENU

If I remember correctly, I had several uo.cfg files on my computer and added it in all of them (just do a search in Windows and add it in all the files if you have several).

Then I had to change the font used in game, I'm at work right now and can't screenshot my settings but go in the options on your paperdoll and try out different fonts, for some reason that did it for me.
I think I had to close/open the client everytime I picked a new font and eventually it worked.

I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.

halv

Grandmaster
Frist you have to add that line i your uo.cfg file: UserLanguageCodeString=ENU

Not only there. This doesn't work. You need to do much more.
First you need to edit all uo.cfg files. Each account and each char got his own uo.cfg.
for ex. X:\Users\USER\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\User Data
Is the second place you need to go to change uo.cfg.
Not only put UserLanguageCodeString=ENU into the file, sometimes you need to turn off translation server too. Delete all lines with transerv or translation in it. I just solved the problem on my new computer just by doing this two days ago.

The change of the keyboard is working in moment you install UOF. If UO is already installed, it doesn't always work. I've got the issue everytime i install UO:F. And it's always working by just fixing uo.cfg in uo path and User Data path.