Custom House Blank Lot Costs 85k?

Daex

Neophyte
Hi, I left UO before custom housing came in. So I'm trying to build a sweet new pad and with a completely blank lot.. my costs are already at 85k? Is this how it is meant to be? Massive money sink without any changes? Or is this a bug?

halygon

Grandmaster
Not a bug. Housing here on UO:F is prohibitly expensive. I noticed the same thing when I first started here.

Daex

Neophyte
Damn. So if I 'enable' changes, will it cost me another 85k again on top of any other changes I make? Or put another way, what is the extra cost every time I commit a design?

halygon

Grandmaster
The builder calculates the total for you when you commit the design. It will tell you the previous value, change value and the amount you owe.

Yoar

Adept
The extra cost is 10k. You'll get a full refund on the complete design when you clear the plot. So actually, you're only paying 20k to customize a house once and clearing it some time later.

duffman071

Apprentice
Like others said, it's not as bad as it seems. Try to hit "commit" and you will be presented with the ACTUAL cost. The key here is that you want to minimize the number of incremental changes to your house. Try to design as much as possible all at once because each incremental change you do is another 10k fee in addition to your changes.

Lord_VS

Apprentice
No the initial cost of housing is as bad as it seems It doesn't take long to make 100k once you have your first char however.

Another thing worth noting, you also have to have 1200 skills between your chars before you are able to place/transfer a house.