Event Suggestion: Add PVP zone to PVE events

Do you support adding a PVP zone to a small portion of PVE events with increased drops

• Total voters

halygon

Grandmaster
I think in theory the idea is good. Currently at these types of events, the PKs roam town hoping for someone to bite or stay out of bounds looking for prey. We have tried (vesper event) having a time that the guards get dropped per part of the storyline, but it brought on mass confusion.

I don't like the idea of a small area being designated - I think this would cause too much "one guild owns this land" and be too easy to defend. I would rather see something that is consistent in every event so that anyone going in would know that X area is open to all without guards (Like west brit normal invasion, but east brit is guardless). I am on the fence about having players turn grey when entering an area as again.. the confusion thing for newer players.

All of that said, I don't think this is a way to make pvpers less bored during an invasion event. Those that want to farm will still farm in low risk area and there will be too many mobs in the pvp area to make it more than a dying ground. Having that much spawn AND PKs brings the risk much too high.

A stronger idea might be to have a bonus given to those freely attackable all the time such as Chaos/Order/Factions/Reds and let them have a bonus for farming in the invasion area (like @parsnip said). This makes it an opt-in sort of thing - we are trying to have fun here not give a concentrated location for PK guilds to hunt.

Tac0bell

Grandmaster
It is so dumb, blue meta dexers racking up milz for hours on end with virtually no risk except the steam script thieves running around to get their crystals.

With this idea in place, I'm afraid it would be the exact same thing except whoever has the most ppl online would do it in that "PvP" area... But at least there would be some fucking fights at the event sometimes...

Maybe it could work but the rewards shouldn't be THAT much higher

parsnip

Grandmaster
It favors large groups? The nice thing about UOF now is there are many medium to large sized groups who would enjoy battling it out for control of this area.

Are there? Perhaps things have changed since I played last. I suspect however that $/POWER will come out tops and just add a few more coins to their mountains of gold.

If you feel like you wouldnt be able to compete in this area, make some friends who feel the same way and get in there and get your rewards!

No thanks, I'm not particularly motivated by more PvM drops.

Baby Blue

Master
In my opinion blues should defend their event against reds. Risk vs. reward... that's how it should be.

It's pretty fucking sad if just one red guild can destroy you all. I guess it's easier to pvm in gz than fight against them.

girana

Grandmaster
In my opinion blues should defend their event against reds. Risk vs. reward... that's how it should be.

It's pretty fucking sad if just one red guild can destroy you all. I guess it's easier to pvm in gz than fight against them.

in my opinion pvpers should defend their events against reds. risk vs reward allow pets in pits !

Baby Blue

Master
^ I don't care about pits. Maybe they should do pet vs. pet tournaments for tamers.

I'm pretty sure that you could stat red chars in event areas? I'd say being a red isn't risk free, not even close. There's more blues than reds online any given time. I play a blue but I have hard time understanding why pve events happens in gz. Sounds so boring to me.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Are there? Perhaps things have changed since I played last. I suspect however that $/POWER will come out tops and just add a few more coins to their mountains of gold.

Im sure EQMS, OGS, MAGA, QoQ, TRIN etc would be willing to prove you wrong

No thanks, I'm not particularly motivated by more PvM drops.

Then you would be able to stay in the non PVP area and enjoy the event as usual.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I play a blue but I have hard time understanding why pve events happens in gz -- Sounds so boring to me.

It is boring to many people which is why my idea is great... it doesnt infringe upon those who want to do this type of boring PVE and gives those of us who find it boring something to do.

Baby Blue

Master
Maybe will be a good idea, but first i want to see solved the zerg problem.
Tell us more about it please.

Let's say there's an event. 50 blues killing neon purple ettins with slayer weapons and meta pets. Suddenly they'll see 10 murderers looking for blood. Would you say that those murderers are zerging em?

StegcO

Grandmaster
Tell us more about it please.

Let's say there's an event. 50 blues killing neon purple ettins with slayer weapons and meta pets. Suddenly they'll see 10 murderers looking for blood. Would you say that those murderers are zerging em?

If they are EQMS they will zerg for sure, and they are 20/30 not 10 :)

If you solve the zerg problem you no need pvp zone in event ecc, you will have good fight/battle everywhere

cups

Grandmaster
If the staff ever did do this, they could make it easier on themselves and just make it so the invasion happens in a guard protected town but an equal invasion(with the higher loot chance) invades buc's den. Then you already got the flagging system figured out and people know what they're getting into.

Baby Blue

Master
If they are EQMS they will zerg for sure, and they are 20/30 not 10 :)

If you solve the zerg problem you no need pvp zone in event ecc, you will have good fight/battle everywhere
Alright. Being honest, I've never seen 20-30 eqms. I rarely see 10+

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
If the staff ever did do this, they could make it easier on themselves and just make it so the invasion happens in a guard protected town but an equal invasion(with the higher loot chance) invades buc's den. Then you already got the flagging system figured out and people know what they're getting into.

Great idea!

Lord_Puffy

Grandmaster
With the last invasion event being upon us, we once again return to the idea of adding a PVP zone to the event. It would work as follows:

1. A small portion of the town(say 100x100 area) would flag you grey when entering. A gump woud pop up warning you that you are about to enter the PVP area of the invasion event and you will be flagged grey(not criminal, like bucs den) upon entering this area.

2. This PVP zoned off area would have 2-3x the drop rate of the normal area. With the increased risk of being gray and attackable by anyone in this area, you get an increased drop rate. Risk vs. Reward is the very foundation of UO.

3. The entire other portion of the invasion city will remain as is, full guard zone protected. If you dont want to have risk PVP for the sake of getting increased drops, you can simply farm in the majority of the invasion city under guard protection as usual.

We brought this up in discord and @Swayze said he liked the idea and would be down for implementing it as long as there was some traction behind it.

If youre against this idea, please post in this thread why -- so far the only argument has been "EQMS will just dominate this zone and get all the rewards themselves". If thats your answer, thats fine, and you are entitled to your opinion.... just be honest.

Many people who arent pure PVErs find these multiple day events of guard zone farming to kill the server outside of the event, this would give these groups(OGS, POWER/$, EQMS, trin, QoQ, etc) a reason to group and play together at the event to fight for control over the increased spawn area.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS NONETHELESS!

People are going to say this strictly applys to helping us because we would try to secure said area and farm at 2-3x the rate.

If it were same drop rates that reasoning wouldnt apply ^^

Malkraven

Grandmaster
* other

The bad thing about the events are they are only in the GZ if u pull spawn outside of GZ it jumps back. if you gonna do occlo invasion for instance make it the entire occlo isle and not limited to the gz. you could easily spread the spawn out so people need to travel outside the GZ for " more " mobs

i dont see the need to give higher loot chances tbh.

fisty

Apprentice
voted yes, can't really see the harm in doing this occasionally. more into the no guards idea tbh. if people are made aware of the stipulation of farming at the event, it's up to them if they wanna risk it or not. and to be honest, i never really see solo blues anyway - just tagless members of other large guilds. if the rewards make up for the risk, i could see something like this being a lot of fun.

edit: just read cups' post, feeling that heavy.