Fix weight on Blank Scrolls/Leather/Bottles

Lady Macbeth

Grandmaster
Eppy once mentioned it on discord that the GMs want to make sure it's harder to craft slayer books. There's no change in the blank scroll weight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyntr

Master
Hides already get a reduction once its cut, I don't for see it changing, same with scrolls and bottles. The only thing that bottles really play a role in in regards to weight are crafting empty kegs but its a slow process and easy to craft. So you never really need a ton of bottles on you. However blank scrolls on the other hand need to stay heavy.

What I would like to see change is the ability to use commodity deeds on crafted scrolls. Anything over 1.5k requires two trips or direct delivery to the storage point. Even tho they are not a true commodity, people buy them like they are.

clutchxo

Grandmaster
Eppy once mentioned it on discord that the GMs want to make sure it's harder to craft slayer books. There's no change in the blank scroll weight...

ah, so instead of introducing a mechanic that make's it harder, like quest line, offering of other materials, no...we have to limit the amount of scrolls a person can carry, make them waste more time recalling to/from resource container. Intentionally wasting more time spent doing tedious things no one wants to do.

clutchxo

Grandmaster
I'm on your side. Please don't shoot the messenger...

I always complain I rarely have time to play this game and people always respond, If I don't have the time I shouldn't be playing the game. But those "people" have on idea what it's like to be a grown up with 2 kids to feed, a stupid cat and house chores.

Lady Macbeth

Grandmaster
I don't have kids but I've seen my friends who have two kids... I hear you. If playing this game can relax you then I hope I will see you sometimes in game even if it means I'll see you on your PK :)

Hang in there!

Wyntr

Master
It is the most efficient way to control the speed at which slayer spellbooks enter the market.
If they reduce blank scroll weight to that of ingots, the crafter could hold 2k blanks and their beetle could hold over 14k scrolls. You wouldn't have to move a muscle, just wait for your macro to finish. To go thru that many scrolls would only take a couple hours.

clutchxo

Grandmaster
It is the most efficient way to control the speed at which slayer spellbooks enter the market.
If they reduce blank scroll weight to that of ingots, the crafter could hold 2k blanks and their beetle could hold over 14k scrolls. You wouldn't have to move a muscle, just wait for your macro to finish. To go thru that many scrolls would only take a couple hours.
That's a problem? It just makes the slayer spellbooks less or a rarity? Aka more meta mages. Sounds like it may help populate the class rather hide it in the shadows.

clutchxo

Grandmaster
That's a problem? It just makes the slayer spellbooks less or a rarity? Aka more meta mages. Sounds like it may help populate the class rather hide it in the shadows.

halv

Grandmaster

Do have some experience with crafting slayer spellbooks? The chance to get one felt like ten times compared to Slayer Katana.
A Katane needs 8 ingots, i can carry 16K ingots with a beetle and another 3K in my backpack, right?

You need to recall many times back to Bank or house to get more scrolls. My Scribe is a nox mage, not using a beetle, because she needs to summon Demons and stuff.
So I pick up 300 scrolls, jump to the crafting area, start macro, 3.5 minutes later I need to recall back to bank. No slayerbook. I do this the whole night and got one slayer. I can't play another char like the same time my crafter is doing Slayers (I normally put him on macro and tab to him sometimes).

Slayer spellbooks will be used up very quickly. Or you will loose them to PKs or PvE-Mobs (they loot them alot).

A slayer Katana can be repaired. A spellbook just burned thru the pages.

I've got a Legendary Scribe since they have PSs for them. I never have all the slayer to go to the dungeon by myself. I'm still hoping for Exorzism. I almost craft every day some spellbooks, no Exorzism since months. In the almost same time I craft lots of Exozism with my BS.

The next issue are all this empty spellbooks you throw away. You can't smelt them like the BS is doing with nonSlayer Weps. You can't even use them, you need to make 64 scrolls to fill them up. I can't even craft more then four full normal spellbooks without going to bank.

No, compared to all this other crafting skills, Inscription is the worst because of the weight of scrolls. My personal opinion. But I don't make the rulez.

Wyntr

Master
You do have a point there, Silver, Repond and Ogre thrashing are the rarest ones to craft. They are also the most popular ones I sell. If scrolls were lightened those books could become easier to craft as well. However the shear volume of the less desirable books like scorpion slayer or vacuum would be to much to handle, your best option would be to trash several different type of books. OR drop prices on books. BUT if you flood the market with cheap books eventually you will sell less and ruin the market.

@halv I have consumed at least 1mil blank scrolls since the addition of slayer spellbooks, strictly on slayer spellbooks. Also all the books tossed does suck but its not time effective to stash them nor craft out the 64 scrolls unless you know that they can be sold. But even then a stock of 20 books is more than enough compared to the 1000's of books i have tossed. If I am investing my time into slayer books then I might as well just focus and just toss the books.

Another thing is it is one of the few items we craft with that can be purchased in mass quantities from npc vendors but cannot be harvested.

halv

Grandmaster
Hi Wyntr,

good post, i understand what you are saying, but...

Another thing is it is one of the few items we craft with that can be purchased in mass quantities from npc vendors but cannot be harvested.

... i put some thoughts in this sentence. I really don't know how that can be an argument against the weight reduction.

My crafter don't need gold since he is all legendary (no tailer). He is harvesting wood, ore, stones and sand etc. etc. without putting 1gp into materials or tools. He is crafting his tools by himself to harvest all the resources. It's nice to carry 3K of ingots back to bank or house without a beetle or lama.

My scribe needs to buy the scrolls. That's double work time, because you need to get the gold first. 10k after 10K of gold is going to the npc-scribes without getting any slayer. If you tossed that much books you throw away 100K up to millions in scrolls, if i did the math right. One scroll will cost you 4gp. You need 14(16) scrolls to craft the book. One spellbook will cost you around 56gp. If you toss 1K of spellbooks into the trash can like you said, it's 56K in gold pieces.

You said you consumed almost 1mil blank scrolls. For me it sounds like "I gave 4mil gp" to the scribes of Sosaria. 4mil is the half of a double strike relic i like to buy. :)
I seriously hope you got 5mil for selling slayer spellbooks. On the other side, the spellbook business is wasting gold. If you use them for yourself is a little different, because you got loot and XP.

Scribe business is definitly one of the most expensive on UOF. For that much gold i pay for scrolls, me and others only ask for a small benefit... the reduction of the weight of blank scrolls.

Wyntr

Master
Yes, but I haven't purchased all my scrolls at 5 each probably 500k at 4gp. Some times it does feel like you break even but in reality it is definitely profitable. I wonder if factions provide any price reductions on scrolls.

clutchxo

Grandmaster
Yes, but I haven't purchased all my scrolls at 5 each probably 500k at 4gp. Some times it does feel like you break even but in reality it is definitely profitable. I wonder if factions provide any price reductions on scrolls.
I haven't found any Discounts on scrolls or potions going thru faction vendors themselves, might be a bonus for holding the sigil of a certain town.

Woodsman

Expert
Bump*

giphy.gif

eppy

Grandmaster
If I lower the weight, I will raise the number of scrolls required. I did this on purpose. Blank scrolls are a great gold sink.