Get rid of Explotion potions

Sipus Maximus

Journeyman
I like pvp and I suck at it. I would enjoy trying more however it just seems like that's all pvp is - automation and explosion potions. It is odd to have a sword/magic game not rely on swords/magic to pvp with. Must be fun to some but not to me. I have tried to enjoy the game but if I go anywhere it is the same thing over and over - usually followed by someone rez killing you, killing the healers, and taking your sextant all while taunting you. Snooze. Is this really how everyone wants to play?

@Sipus Maximus

Explode pots are a necessity in modern UO.

A mage or dexer (with a vanq +) who are average to good literally cannot kill each other 1v1 without them or a huge fuck up.

PVP isn't only about explode pots, there are far bigger deterrents, such as player mentality (i.e gank only, run entire map, instant stat loss 2-10v1's + general faggotry) and advanced clients allowing players that are borderline handicapped with targeting/automated drops/macros.

Explode pots are really fun once you get the hang of them, and adds in some diverse play. It's the target closest/run the entire map fights that is ruining modern group pvp and template diversity.

The Gandin

Grandmaster
I like pvp and I suck at it. I would enjoy trying more however it just seems like that's all pvp is - automation and explosion potions. It is odd to have a sword/magic game not rely on swords/magic to pvp with. Must be fun to some but not to me. I have tried to enjoy the game but if I go anywhere it is the same thing over and over - usually followed by someone rez killing you, killing the healers, and taking your sextant all while taunting you. Snooze. Is this really how everyone wants to play?

Explo pots are apart of the game. I know it's tough to die to them a lot but it comes with the territory and being a Felucca server, you gotta always watch yourself. It can be frustrating but there's ways to defend from these things.

Derwolf

Grandmaster

Wut kind of sic fuk would steal another mans sextant

Sipus Maximus

Journeyman
It's been frustrating for sure. I will research to see if I can adapt. Gm sword anatomy tactics magic resist and all I do is die to someone throwing potions that alway hit. Seems like 2 of those and I'm done yet I miss when I get close. Arrrgggh!

Young Star

Grandmaster
Hqng in there. It is tough for most at first. Even the best have died a lot in the beginning. If you dont give up you will get better.

Wut kind of sic fuk would steal another mans sextant
The question really is though, who carries a sextant?

Honestly the answer to why you think exp pots suck is get good. The end.

If you do a search, you will see tons of new players complaining about it, then they get used to them and end up loving how the mechanics work. Also, most likely, you are dying because you are being killed by better pvpers. Pots usually don't turn a fight unless its close to begin with.

Sipus Maximus

Journeyman
The question really is though, who carries a sextant?

The reason is some tmap spot I recall into have some monsters that I might have to take care of 1st and move away from spot - just easier to use sextant instead of recalling back home then back

Understood on potions :(

girana

Grandmaster
@girana what do you think about this? We care about your opinion

i think explo pots should to splash to guildmates/blues and do -5 dmg

but its not gone happen
pvp on UOF is balanced around the needs of 10-15 players and not the needs of the majority
thats the problem you get with just one Staff playing and doing most balacing around his favorite playstyle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
@eppy
Here's my suggestion:

If you hit a player with a purple pot then that player should have all of their purple pots blow up. If you were carrying a bag containing 30 molotov cocktails and got hit by a molotov cocktail then it would result in fireworks.

If you fail to throw a purple pot and it explodes on you then the same thing should happen. There should be area damage based on the number of purples you are carrying. This would make for some HILARIOUS kamikaze attacks. I think its fair to say that if you carry 200 purple pots and blow up then it should nuke 1-2 screens worth of players.

PS: whoever took my sextant and bag of night sight pots, may I have them back? pls, k thx!

Bromista

Grandmaster
No way, that's too much like the exploit $ was using to kill dungeon bosses in one hit. Can't let explo pots blow up other explo pots or people are going to be major fgts about it.

Just trash barrel purple pots problem solved.

Inb4 PvPer tears to say that I'M FUCKING JOKING, but purple pots should be heavily heavily nerfed and if you disagree with that you're probably ********.

Also alchy bonus across the board not just purple pots.

Mount fatigue was a swing and a miss, if handled properly would compliment a nerf to explo pots quite nicely.

Random bonus/unrelated comment: wands are dumb and could be scrapped without much backlash I feel like.

Purple pots are a part of a larger problem really. And yes I would rather staff take the time to balance several things to create a better PvP experience than to leave things the way they are because it "works"

At this point I just don't understand why people would play this game for any reason besides PvM/pixel collecting, I mean honestly. I play other games to get my PvP on anymore because rofl. It's fine if you "enjoy" the PvP here, but you need to also consider that there are tons of people that play those terrible phone games and Facebook games and "enjoy" those too.

Or am I just bitter because I don't automate my pots and actually miss from time to time? Which none of you motherfuckers ever seem to do.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I can agree to that.

If they had a 10-12 second cooldown maybe.

Oh hey can we talk about bandage timers too while we're at it?

girana

Grandmaster
I can agree to that.

If they had a 10-12 second cooldown maybe.

Oh hey can we talk about bandage timers too while we're at it?

you need to understand PvP need to balanced around 10-15 ppl that cant kill each other 1on1 w/o that stupid burst of explo pots, lighting wands and firehorns.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
pots are necessary. Splash dmg is a very good idea that has been put forward a ton of times but opens up a whole new grief but tbh i think thats good too.

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
No way, that's too much like the exploit $ was using to kill dungeon bosses in one hit. Can't let explo pots blow up other explo pots or people are going to be major fgts about it.

Just trash barrel purple pots problem solved.

Inb4 PvPer tears to say that I'M FUCKING JOKING, but purple pots should be heavily heavily nerfed and if you disagree with that you're probably ********.

Also alchy bonus across the board not just purple pots.

Mount fatigue was a swing and a miss, if handled properly would compliment a nerf to explo pots quite nicely.

Random bonus/unrelated comment: wands are dumb and could be scrapped without much backlash I feel like.

Purple pots are a part of a larger problem really. And yes I would rather staff take the time to balance several things to create a better PvP experience than to leave things the way they are because it "works"

At this point I just don't understand why people would play this game for any reason besides PvM/pixel collecting, I mean honestly. I play other games to get my PvP on anymore because rofl. It's fine if you "enjoy" the PvP here, but you need to also consider that there are tons of people that play those terrible phone games and Facebook games and "enjoy" those too.

Or am I just bitter because I don't automate my pots and actually miss from time to time? Which none of you motherfuckers ever seem to do.

My post was a joke but that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy seeing it implemented.

I like purple pots because they provide the extra damage needed to prevent 1v1 fights from never ending. It also adds a much needed trade off to balance PvP in regards to skill slots. Characters with healing can survive purple pots while on the run while other characters can't. That's an important balance. Another thing I like about purple pots is that it adds a level of complexity to PvP. As far as automated purple pots, I believe that only razor can do that? Sallos can't for sure.

You mention that you like PvP in other games but you play UO for PvM? I view it as the opposite. UO PvM is candy crush but probably less challenging. It really is just pixel collecting for pixel collecting sake. The best pixel collectors on the shard usually grow bored and leave. The PvP community are the players that reliably stick around. I think UO PvP is one thing that make the game desirable after all these years because it isn't just button mashing. There's a lot of timing involved. I'm not disregarding your opinion though just pointing out that some of us look at it differently.

Players continue to mention the need for creating a new combat system. I'm not sure what that means precisely as few people actually elaborate on the details of such a system. Many of us were hoping that the "Kingdoms Expansion" would provide new exciting avenues for PvP. I guess we're still waiting. However, I will offer one suggestion in regards to new combat systems. I believe the goal should be to implement a system that attracts players that don't do a lot of PvP currently. The system should also refrain from dumbing down the mechanics that make UO PvP dynamic and challenging. One of the problems with faction fighting that a lot of players note is that dying is a pain in the ass because you have to wait on faction stat loss, get res'd, restock.

My solution to new combat systems would be to use the militia idea in a way that creates more instance based PvP settings (ie like CTF, King of the HIll settings). These auto-res players and get them fresh stock. More players would participate in these scenarios if properly incentivized because its fun and the annoyance of dying is reduced. But really there are a multitude of options that could entice players to participate. They just need to ensure that players feel rewarded for their time/effort and dying isn't a huge pain in the ass.

Sipus Maximus

Journeyman
Touchy topic :)
I guess my experience is from 16+ years ago but I remember fatigue from running and not being able to use potions in rapid succession. I am willing to adapt and learn as uo is still cool but obviously have nostalgia for what I remember. Stop with the sextant hating :)

drasked

Grandmaster

Most pvpers play manually (sallos) and use every possible tool to give them an advantage, that includes explo pots.

Trying to get game mechanics altered from a position of ignorance or nostalgia is not the way to go.