'Hardcore' Character/Playstyle

Winstonian

Grandmaster
Summary:
I've noticed a few members on here complaining about a lack of things to do or accomplish, and I've also observed a sort of 'end game' rut: people hit max levels and just grind the end game content. (Which is a normal progression for a MMO, and there isn't anything wrong with.) I thought of an alternative for both veteran players who want something else to strive for and for new players that gravitate towards a more 'Siege Perilous' style of play.

I'm not saying that this would be easy, and I definitely don't have all of the answers, but I don't doubt for a second that the minds that work on this shard would be able to make it happen.

Concept:
- While creating a character, the player can choose to make the character 'hardcore'. (Only one character per account.) The character has slow skill gain and very specific limitations.

Details:
- The character starts with all skills at 0 and with no gear or items.
- Skill gain is slowed GREATLY across the board, and all skills require movement (walking or riding) between gains.
- Skills cannot be gained when used against another player.
- Skills cannot be lowered. Once skill is gained, it's at that level permanently.
- Each 'hardcore' character is hued differently than other characters, and can be attacked anywhere, at any time, by other 'hardcore' characters. (A 'hardcore' character that becomes a murderer adopts the traditional 'red' hue.)
- If a 'hardcore' character dies in town, his body will be lootable by all players.
- If a 'hardcore' character dies in a dungeon, his body is dismembered, and all gear/loot is lost permanently.
- 'Hardcore' characters cannot consume skill scrolls.
- Automated scripts wouldn't work.
- Resources would be more difficult to come by. ('Hardcore' characters couldn't trade with regular characters, and vendor prices would be increased.)

Crafting:
- Items crafted by 'hardcore' crafters consume 5x the resources, but affix a 'Hardcore' label. These items do slightly increased damage/have slightly increased defense (compared to a GM weapon/armor), and are only wearable by other 'hardcore' characters.

Content:
- Three "small" dungeons would be added over time. Only 'hardcore' players can enter these dungeons.
- Mid-range (60ish): a 'hardcore' player with 60ish skills could have reasonable success within this dungeon.
- High end (80ish): a 'hardcore' player with 80ish skills could have reasonable success within this dungeon.
- Max level (GMish): a 'hardcore' player with GM skills could have reasonable success within this dungeon.

Drops:
- Instead of the traditional 'a magic kryss'-type items, magical items dropped have specific names. Relatively rare.
- Drops in the max level dungeon could have a unique look/hue.

Closing:
The above is an extremely rough sketch. I feel that quite a few players would gravitate towards this style of play during their down time, and would make for one hell of a challenge.

(All of the above can be tweaked or modified. Just ideas.)

PekatronIII

Grandmaster
pryatki.png
Who your dealer ?

Winstonian

Grandmaster
It definitely wouldn't be for everyone. If you're one that only PvPs and duels behind dragons, you wouldn't consider this. If you hate gaining, and eat scrolls to GM skills, you wouldn't consider this. If you need scripts to help you out in PvP, you'd hate this.

I think some would think of a play style similar to this, and how outstanding that server was.