How to steal regs without snooping?

Gunn

Neophyte
I made a macro to steal a specific reg as well as a macro to specifically steal bandages.

The macro is as follows:
Use skill steal
Wait for target
Target by type (whatever item type-in this cas a specific reg or bandage)

Now sometimes this works and I grab a stack of 90 or so bandages just by hitting the macro while standing next to someone. Sometimes it doesn't...
Does anyone know why and could anyone give me some helpful advice on how to make this happen consistantly?

I know this doesn't have much to do with how well people hide their regs in pouches wether they are trapped or not because I have previously used the macro and gotten through a trapped pouch and 2 levels of non trapped pouches to steal something with it.

EDIT: Oh and if anyone has any knowledge of making razor/UO not target my own regs/bandages when I hit the macro I would greatly appreciate it. <- By the way... I know it isn't trying to steal my own when it fails it just gives me no message after i hit the macro when im standing next to someone else.

One more thing. Does anyone know how to make a macro for my guy to snoop all their bags without snooping/exploding my own pouches? thanks.

I find all auto macros like this useless as it takes the fun out of the game. I find it amazing that any good pvper couldnt pvp back in the day due to being babied by these programs, this includes the infamous cheatengine. Might I suggest doing it the old fashioned way as it does make the satisfactory level increase dramatically. All my thieving is done without any macros/programs.

Greed

Master
I made a macro to steal a specific reg as well as a macro to specifically steal bandages.

The macro is as follows:
Use skill steal
Wait for target

Now sometimes this works and I grab a stack of 90 or so bandages just by hitting the macro while standing next to someone. Sometimes it doesn't...
Does anyone know why and could anyone give me some helpful advice on how to make this happen consistantly?

I know this doesn't have much to do with how well people hide their regs in pouches wether they are trapped or not because I have previously used the macro and gotten through a trapped pouch and 2 levels of non trapped pouches to steal something with it.

EDIT: Oh and if anyone has any knowledge of making razor/UO not target my own regs/bandages when I hit the macro I would greatly appreciate it. <- By the way... I know it isn't trying to steal my own when it fails it just gives me no message after i hit the macro when im standing next to someone else.

One more thing. Does anyone know how to make a macro for my guy to snoop all their bags without snooping/exploding my own pouches? thanks.

I was under the impression if you steal from someone without snooping them it just randomly picks out something from their backpack. Is that wrong?

Gunn

Neophyte
I find all auto macros like this useless as it takes the fun out of the game. I find it amazing that any good pvper couldnt pvp back in the day due to being babied by these programs, this includes the infamous cheatengine. Might I suggest doing it the old fashioned way as it does make the satisfactory level increase dramatically. All my thieving is done without any macros/programs.

Maybe I'll give that a try. Last time I played without a macro program was on OSI as a warrior. I remember being at at leaste a slight disadvantage in PVP. I didn't play a thief so I have no idea what'd be like, all I remember is having to stop to rebandage yourself was time consuming compared to just hitting the bandage button like some others could.

Gunn

Neophyte
I was under the impression if you steal from someone without snooping them it just randomly picks out something from their backpack. Is that wrong?

If theres a macro that tells it what to steal when your near someone, you automatically go for that item. Problem is sometimes I get a "You catch yourself red-handed, sometimes no message at all, sometimes "You can't steal that", sometimes it grabbes exactly what I told it to do.

I think if you click steal then target a player or his backpack in paper doll then it will steal a random item. However, as an example, if you target a waepon in their hands, then disarm and steal last target you can scoop it right from their pack if you do it before they RE-Arm or run away.

Maybe I'll give that a try. Last time I played without a macro program was on OSI as a warrior. I remember being at at leaste a slight disadvantage in PVP. I didn't play a thief so I have no idea what'd be like, all I remember is having to stop to rebandage yourself was time consuming compared to just hitting the bandage button like some others could.
Dont get me wrong, you can set a bandage self button in UO. I use last target is the closest I get to using a macro. I am talking about the people that need a script to do anything, yall know who you are.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Yeah like the explo pots lol I like when people completely automate their playing, especially PvP. Already said in another thread I miss the old days

Dellan

Grandmaster
Of course it screws up. It will randomly target any reg type you chose ON WHOLE SCREEN, meaning in your pack, in packs of people around, and even those which are locked down or lie on ground. Last target for the win, mate.

drinn

Grandmaster

Yeah it doesn't need much effort stealing, or snooping without macros. But macros are important today, since this is oldschool game.

Gunn, what about targetting that reagent bag?

halygon

Grandmaster
Trapped pouches, boxes, etc effectively hide items from the steal skill. You must snoop those types of containers to steal out of them.

And your main problem is you are using razor.

Dellan

Grandmaster
^ True. AUO might be able to do some crazy mofo macro for that, but meh.. I'd rather GM taming here than program that thing.

halygon

Grandmaster
^ True. AUO might be able to do some crazy mofo macro for that, but meh.. I'd rather GM taming here than program that thing.
My point isn't that AUO can do crazy things, it's that razor does not give enough control over its target by type option to use it correctly with stealing.

Umabel

Novice

The macro is as follows:
Use skill steal
Wait for target

Gunn, your macro doesn't work consistently because 'by itemtype' in Razor will search your own backpack first, so you're basically targeting your own regs (IIRC). I'm not even sure if Razor can be scripted to search only your target's backpack, but if it can, it should be able to work consistently.

Note that you -can't- steal any item until it has been snooped first. If you somehow manage to try, nothing will happen. The only reason it seems to work without the snoop is because you already opened your target's pack before and the client will "remember" the item up to a certain point.

Sadly, I don't think there is much that can be done here with a Razor script. Making a snoop/steal macro with UOSteam the way you describe it is very possible (although time consuming to make) and there are already similar macros in the UOSteam website to get started with.

halygon

Grandmaster
Making a snoop/steal macro with UOSteam the way you describe it is very possible (although time consuming to make) and there are already similar macros in the UOSteam website to get started with.

You are right about the snooping but wrong about UOS. The macro can be made simple and easy or complex and time consuming. Anyways you look at it, it will take less time then what he has put into his razor issue. Here is a sample uosteam macro from the top if my head:

If inrange 'last' 2
Findlayer 'last' 1
Setalias 'enemypack' 'found'
Useobject 'enemypack'
Endif
If @findtype <regGraphicTypeHere> 'enemypack'
Useskill 'Stealing'
Waitfortarget 4000
Target! 'found'
Endif

I may be wrong on the layer cause I'm not at a PC, but you get the idea.

As one of the few true pvp thieves on this server, I greatly recommend against these types of macros. Yes, I have created them, but even in their perfect form (which mine are perfect), they are slower than doing things by hand.

Why? Because despite what Halygon provided you in the post above, this would only steal regs from within the target individuals top layer bag (Not to mention that the macro he provided wouldn't actually work anyway ). There is a lot of complex work involved in creating a macro that will search an entire users person for a specific reg and then steal it . The system cannot possibly do it faster than you can -- not to mention the fact that once you start the macro, you cannot change course of action. -- Maybe the person is beginning to move, maybe you see something else to take, etc, etc, etc.

If you want to play a thief to its fullest potential, you have to get good at doing it all by hand. If you would like to see how fast I can do things by hand, let me know and I will show you.

And no, I won't share the macros with you, so don't ask.

:)

Umabel

Novice
You are right about the snooping but wrong about UOS. The macro can be made simple and easy or complex and time consuming. Anyways you look at it, it will take less time then what he has put into his razor issue. Here is a sample uosteam macro from the top if my head:

If inrange 'last' 2
Findlayer 'last' 1
Setalias 'enemypack' 'found'
Useobject 'enemypack'
Endif
If @findtype <regGraphicTypeHere> 'enemypack'
Useskill 'Stealing'
Waitfortarget 4000
Target! 'found'
Endif

I may be wrong on the layer cause I'm not at a PC, but you get the idea.

Pretty much (the layer # is 21 and the range is only 1 tile). It is very simple but I was having in mind the one that snoops -everything-...that is a very tough beast to tackle even with UOSteam (Hawt's macro is limited to backpack and next two levels) and flat out impossible with Razor.

halygon

Grandmaster
Pretty much (the layer # is 21 and the range is only 1 tile). It is very simple but I was having in mind the one that snoops -everything-...that is a very tough beast to tackle even with UOSteam (Hawt's macro is limited to backpack and next two levels) and flat out impossible with Razor.
Oh yeah, layer 21.. Like I said, I am typing this from my iPhone not a computer.

I made my own snooping loop that goes till no more bags can be found of type backpack, bag, or pouch(I've only tested it to 7 levels deep though). Maybe when I am done playing a thief I'll post it on the forums for other thieves to take advantage of. Hell if that happens ill post my entire suite of thief macros for UOSteam. ...so no time soon.

That said, as I've posted on other UOSteam forums, I'll help anyone write uosteam macros, I just won't do it all for you.

Umabel: Are you U M A ? If so, how's your pugs? Mine is snoring happily at my feet.