Make Character Slots Cheaper Please

shenron

Journeyman
Hi there,

Maybe it's just me because I'm not as wealthy as some of the top players of this shard, but I find 1 million g/p way too much gold for a character slot. I'm tired of having to disassemble other made characters to try new builds. My suggestion would be to please make this cheaper so that it isn't such a blow to the average player's bank account to want to try to make new builds.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
1m is fairly reasonable. Especially since you can have 9 chars before you need to earn this amount. A bad farmer can net 50k an hour making a new char 20 hours of game play.

Ps. Its not meant to be something super easy to obtain. I've been here over 3 years and just bought 2 slots and am still 5 slots from max.

shenron

Journeyman
1m is fairly reasonable. Especially since you can have 9 chars before you need to earn this amount. A bad farmer can net 50k an hour making a new char 20 hours of game play.

Ps. Its not meant to be something super easy to obtain. I've been here over 3 years and just bought 2 slots and am still 5 slots from max.

I see, I'm not trying to troll, but why not make it easy to obtain? Isn't it more fun to have access to a wider variety of different characters? Is there a particular reason why it shouldn't be easy? That's the same way they had it, back in the good days, so it isn't like it's going against the natural nature of the game we all love.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
I see, I'm not trying to troll, but why not make it easy to obtain? Isn't it more fun to have access to a wider variety of different characters? Is there a particular reason why it shouldn't be easy? That's the same way they had it, back in the good days, so it isn't like it's going against the natural nature of the game we all love.
Back in the day you got 5 chars and likely one account. Now you get 9 total to start. Also there is not enough gold sinks as it is. Good gold sinks help keep a server alive. This is one of the few actual gold sinks that exist.

shenron

Journeyman
Back in the day you got 5 chars and likely one account. Now you get 9 total to start. Also there is not enough gold sinks as it is. Good gold sinks help keep a server alive. This is one of the few actual gold sinks that exist.

Yeah, I understand the needing of a "gold sink", kinda like in Diablo 2 that had that problem, but does it have to be character slots? Don't people sink their gold in having the best ageless real estate, or the best looking color sandals, relics, or the best stats on a pet. I feel it adds more variety to the game for everyone to have access to more characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Yeah, I understand the needing of a "gold sink", kinda like in Diablo 2 that had that problem, but does it have to be character slots? Don't people sink their gold in having the best ageless real estate, or the best looking color sandals, relics, or the best stats on a pet. I feel it adds more variety to the game for everyone to have access to more characters.
Problem is this things really aren't gold sinks. They don't remove gold from the server. They just transfer it to someone else. Even things like the 500k white cloth isn't a real gold sink. It removes gold but because the cloth can be sold it is really just a currency converter. There could be and should be other gold sinks but currently char slot is one of the few and is needed.

shenron

Journeyman
Problem is this things really aren't gold sinks. They don't remove gold from the server. They just transfer it to someone else. Even things like the 500k white cloth isn't a real gold sink. It removes gold but because the cloth can be sold it is really just a currency converter. There could be and should be other gold sinks but currently char slot is one of the few and is needed.

I understand 100% what you're trying to say. I agree with the need of it. I just feel that there could be better ways to satisfy this need, without targeting character slots. Maybe instead of a character slot, you can respec your character back to 0 stats, at the cost of 1 mill, and they give you a special hue for your character or a title. The need for the gold sink, is targeted for the top 1% of the shard who have too much gold and already have all the end game content. To be honest, for players like these. 1 M is nothing. This hurts more than does good for the rest of the players in my opinion.

I think maybe giving them rare special one of a kind pieces of armor with a special hue, or blessed clothing is a good way for these players to sink their gold. Or even, charge for extra house slots, and i'm sure for these super rich players, that's more lucrative than character slots.
This is just my opinion, and i respect yours.

Messremb

Grandmaster
I understand 100% what you're trying to say. I agree with the need of it. I just feel that there could be better ways to satisfy this need, without targeting character slots. Maybe instead of a character slot, you can respec your character back to 0 stats, at the cost of 1 mill, and they give you a special hue for your character or a title. The need for the gold sink, is targeted for the top 1% of the shard who have too much gold and already have all the end game content. To be honest, for players like these. 1 M is nothing. This hurts more than does good for the rest of the players in my opinion.

I think maybe giving them rare special one of a kind pieces of armor with a special hue, or blessed clothing is a good way for these players to sink their gold. Or even, charge for extra house slots, and i'm sure for these super rich players, that's more lucrative than character slots.
This is just my opinion, and i respect yours.
First off I just want to point out that the things you suggest as "gold sinks" fall in to the same category the fallen mentioned. They are currency converters not gold sinks. Unless the item recieved has no value to anyone else, or it can't be traded it won't act as a gold sink.

On the topic of charter slots. If you have 9 maxed out chars and can't afford 1 million gold you have done something wrong. And if you want you can delete or reskill any charter at any time. So your argument of "try new things" is moot.

The price on char slots is very reasonable. I have bought 7 myself, most back when I was significantly less rich.

Also let me provide you with a argument against making them cheaper.

Pks use additional chars to avoid the punishments of stat loss, if the slots were too cheap every pk would have 21 chars and never have to fear stat loss.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

You guys are dumb, a gold sink is a gold sink... currency converter? bah

Buy 1 PW cloth = 500k gold gone from UOF

1 PW Cloth -> Won't sell for 500k and is worthless to anyone who doesn't want it.

500k gold -> can be used all over the place and will always be worth 500k gold

shenron

Journeyman
First off I just want to point out that the things you suggest as "gold sinks" fall in to the same category the fallen mentioned. They are currency converters not gold sinks. Unless the item recieved has no value to anyone else, or it can't be traded it won't act as a gold sink.

On the topic of charter slots. If you have 9 maxed out chars and can't afford 1 million gold you have done something wrong. And if you want you can delete or reskill any charter at any time. So your argument of "try new things" is moot.

The price on char slots is very reasonable. I have bought 7 myself, most back when I was significantly less rich.

Also let me provide you with a argument against making them cheaper.

Pks use additional chars to avoid the punishments of stat loss, if the slots were too cheap every pk would have 21 chars and never have to fear stat loss.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hey, thank you for your opinion. In my personal view, I don't really see it as making it "moot", because I don't want to disassemble characters that I've worked to establish.

And I think your statement that if I have 9 full characters and can't afford a mill, in my opinion, isn't accurate at all. I don't think the amount of characters you have doesn't have a relate correlation to the amount of gold you earn.

And what's wrong with people not having to fear stat loss as much? Doesn't that bring more activity to the server in form of pvp?

I think gold sink in the form of adding additional house slots for accounts is a better option.

Thank you for your insight though

Messremb

Grandmaster
Hey, thank you for your opinion. In my personal view, I don't really see it as making it "moot", because I don't want to disassemble characters that you've worked to establish.

And I think your statement that if I have 9 full characters and can't afford a mill, in my opinion, isn't accurate at all. I don't think the amount of characters you have doesn't have a relate correlation to the amount of gold you earn.

And what's wrong with people not having to fear stat loss as much? Doesn't that bring more activity to the server in form of pvp?

I think gold sink in the form of adding additional house slots for accounts is a better option.

Thank you for your insight though
it is moot because there is a potential solution that simply requires a change in your thinking not the game mechanics.

with 9 characters you can try out almost every possible build. and with minor changes taking only a few hours i think you can get them all. there are only 2 reasons people need more than 9 characters. 1. to have enough PKs to never have to worry about stat loss. 2. to have duplicate builds on multiple accounts (I.E. i have a heal mage on all 3 of my accounts).

using additional char slots to test out builds makes no sense. you are training up most the same skills, only changing 1 or 2, you might as well simply alter one build. in the end with there being no limit on how many times you can change a char your argument that the char slot token limits your ability to test new builds becomes a moot argument.

to my statement on 9 chars. you will note that i said "if you have 9 maxed out chars and cant afford 1 million gold you have done something wrong"

i think you will find if you actually max out 9 different types of characters you have a plethora of ways to make gold, and can easily make 1 mil.

as far as PVP being good for the server you are right, but there are many forums of PVP that have 0 consequences. PKing is good for the server only so long as it has = risk to its reward. if there is imbalance, then PKing becomes detrimental to the shard, either because PVMers leave or PKs leave.

also i dont know if you are new to UO or just dont realize how awful of an idea giving people additional house slots is. the housing market here is already hurting from players holding houses they dont use. giving them the option to hold more would make it worse and would make it impossible for new players to get decent size plots.

Messremb

Grandmaster
You guys are dumb, a gold sink is a gold sink... currency converter? bah

Buy 1 PW cloth = 500k gold gone from UOF

1 PW Cloth -> Won't sell for 500k and is worthless to anyone who doesn't want it.

500k gold -> can be used all over the place and will always be worth 500k gold
let me show you what i mean with a simple example.

i have 22 million gold

i buy a PW robe (cost 8 mil gold that by your logic is now removed from the economy)

now i have 14 mil and a PW robe

later i see a castle for sale for 20 milion.

if your argument was correct there is no way i could buy this castle as i exchanged my 8 million for a robe, but as we both know that is not true. i have 2 options. offer the robe as part of the trade, or sell the robe (most likely at a loss but not significantly enough compared to the cost) and then buy the castle.

now i admit a small amount of the gold spent was actually sunk. but the majority has simply changed from one form of value to another. meaning most of the gold that was supposed to be gone is really just badly invested into a PW robe.

a true gold sink removes all the value from the economy while maintaning value only to the individual who sunk the gold.(i.e. buying a char slot has value only to the person who bought it.)

i hope that clears it up and helps you understand why PW cloth is not a true gold sink.

let me show you what i mean with a simple example.

i have 22 million gold

i buy a PW robe (cost 8 mil gold that by your logic is now removed from the economy)

now i have 14 mil and a PW robe

later i see a castle for sale for 20 milion.

if your argument was correct there is no way i could buy this castle as i exchanged my 8 million for a robe, but as we both know that is not true. i have 2 options. offer the robe as part of the trade, or sell the robe (most likely at a loss but not significantly enough compared to the cost) and then buy the castle.

now i admit a small amount of the gold spent was actually sunk. but the majority has simply changed from one form of value to another. meaning most of the gold that was supposed to be gone is really just badly invested into a PW robe.

a true gold sink removes all the value from the economy while maintaning value only to the individual who sunk the gold.(i.e. buying a char slot has value only to the person who bought it.)

i hope that clears it up and helps you understand why PW cloth is not a true gold sink.
In the small chance that someone would take a PW robe in trade or at a discounted rate, your scenario is true.. outside of that for 95% of the transactions that occur, it is 100% gold sink.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Is gold removed? Yes.
Does it remove value of some sort from the economy? A little.
Is it a gold sink? Sure.
Is it a good way of truly sinking value out of the economy to slow the rate at which established players reach wealth that becomes unattainable to new players? Absolutely not.

Tldr:
gold sink=yes
good gold sink = no.

Is gold removed? Yes.
Does it remove value of some sort from the economy? A little.
Is it a gold sink? Sure.
Is it a good way of truly sinking value out of the economy to slow the rate at which established players reach wealth that becomes unattainable to new players? Absolutely not.

Tldr:
gold sink=yes
good gold sink = no.
Tldr: Just stop.