Make Magic Resist mean something!

Torus Moore

Expert
I propose a new mechanic, when a player reaches GM resist, that player now has a chance of reflecting any offensive spells cast on them.

Doesnt have to be a huge percentage, but it as resist stands now, its barely worth the skill points. Proposal is simple and only obtainable when player reaches GM resist.

With defensive wrestling and spells hitting all the time without risk of a miss (like melee attacks have) this will slightly even the ground. Makes for better balance.

lollo

Grandmaster
I propose a new mechanic, when a player reaches GM resist, that player now has a chance of reflecting any offensive spells cast on them.

Doesnt have to be a huge percentage, but it as resist stands now, its barely worth the skill points. Proposal is simple and only obtainable when player reaches GM resist.

With defensive wrestling and spells hitting all the time without risk of a miss (like melee attacks have) this will slightly even the ground. Makes for better balance.

Wow. Just wow. Please hire this guy as the new pvp manager.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Resist is fine. I find myself resisting spells a lot more here than I remember on other shards. The problem lies with a lot of other issues: UOF is far more "arcadey" and years upon years of 3PPs/macros/custom clients with voice chat means magery is even more powerful, particularly in groups. Not to mention cast times are slightly faster here, which changes a lot of dynamics across the board.

Melee needs to have some kind of means to hit more accurately. Most PvP videos I watch and dexxers I've fought use Alchemy as their damage dealer and their war hammer as a support skill, there for when they may eventually connect. That's ass backwards. Whiffing 11 out of 13 times in a single fight shouldn't be a thing; there needs to be some tactical, hands-on means for a player to correct for that. Stamina, mana, even health - something to make it less coin flipping and more tactical.

Either way, there's no issue with resisting spells. It does what it's supposed to do.

girana

Grandmaster
Not to mention cast times are slightly faster here,

spelldmg is also pretty hide.

PvP on uof is balanced around for the small group of elite players with that high dmg, fast cast, firehorns, wands, moded clients, etc that is pretty bad for new/returning players and the main reason why most of them just quit or join eqms.

Torus Moore

Expert
Take away resist then tell me if it is not worth the 100 skill points.

Im not saying its not worth it, said it's barely worth it. It does something, but as a melee players sole defense against magery it's very weak.

If magery spells missed at the rate melee does (or missed at all) that would balance the field as well. Right now pvp is based around auto target and synch, almost always going to the side with numbers not the side with skill. I'm just proposing ways to help make the game more fun for everyone.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
spelldmg is also pretty hide.

PvP on uof is balanced around for the small group of elite players with that high dmg, fast cast, firehorns, wands, moded clients, etc that is pretty bad for new/returning players and the main reason why most of them just quit or join eqms.

I agree that PVP should be made easier and more accessible for the new player.... its why EQMS exists, we overcome our lack of individual skill by grouping up.

The fact that staff added wands and firehorns but not bolas for faction PVP is pretty stupid.

Torus Moore

Expert
Bad player detected

First off, never said I was good at this game! ;) Secondly, I'm looking out for people who don't wanna play the same carbon copy template and barely do anything except tap one hot key for targeting.

Variety is way more fun, but with variation comes difficulty in balance. This is just a few suggestions to help the balance.

halygon

Grandmaster
Im not saying its not worth it, said it's barely worth it. It does something, but as a melee players sole defense against magery it's very weak.

If magery spells missed at the rate melee does (or missed at all) that would balance the field as well. Right now pvp is based around auto target and synch, almost always going to the side with numbers not the side with skill. I'm just proposing ways to help make the game more fun for everyone.
Resist is definetely worth the points. It reduces all direct damage spells by quite a bit and also gives the chance to resist for a nice little 50% reduction.

Because it does not ward against many to one pvp scenarios does not mean it is a bad skill.

I am not sure that it is the only defense against magery. You have your own magery to heal, running and bandaids does wonders, blocking LoS, having friends get your heals, Magic reflection, magic reflection with inscription, wands.

You cannot really compare a melee hit chance vs a spell that always hits as they are oranges to apples. Melee hits literally take no resources, stamina, or mana. You get "free" damage. The down side is that you do not hit 100% of the time. On the other hand, spells hit 100% of the time but can be resisted, use reagents, and also use mana.

One thing we look at when we see suggestions that could/does affect PvP is how will it work at the ends of the spectrum. So.. how does it affect noobs and also how does it affect veterans. I think if we implement your suggestion that I would be concerned about making it too easy to survive against all odds. We have had that before and it does not make for good PvP or balance.

girana

Grandmaster
One thing we look at when we see suggestions that could/does affect PvP is how will it work at the ends of the spectrum. So.. how does it affect noobs and also how does it affect veterans. I think if we implement your suggestion that I would be concerned about making it too easy to survive against all odds. We have had that before and it does not make for good PvP or balance.

Even when i think this suggestion is not good but how the pvp balance was before (a bit more easy to survive) was way more friendly for n00bs and bad players. How its now new players only got 2 choise quit or join eqms. Imom the fights are so much faster compare how it used to be n00bs cant even understand why they died.

halygon

Grandmaster
Even when i think this suggestion is not good but how the pvp balance was before (a bit more easy to survive) was way more friendly for n00bs and bad players. How its now new players only got 2 choise quit or join eqms. Imom the fights are so much faster compare how it used to be n00bs cant even understand why they died.
The pvp balance before was pretty bad - which is why at that point we had little to no PvP going on. Currently we have the most pvp in the history of UOF.

I do not think the spell./damage mechanics are what are causing the issues you see. Instead it is an inherent flaw with the outdated mechanics of factions and order/chaos. The culture of UOF is different than on other shards - we have a huge PVM/Pixel interest that is involved with all aspects of day to day playing. PvP is a means to an end for more rewards for these folk.

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
Sorry off topic here. But wands have had a really big effect from what I have seen. Can you use them on the run (GH wands) and if so doesn't that negate why explosion pots got the love?