Making Gold - Tamer vs Bard?

iceman2kx

Novice
Tamers are bards. It's the ultimate pvm template. Instead of relying on a weapon skill or magery you have a bad ass dragon that does it for you. They can kill pretty much anything effortlessly. Non tamer bards are good, just not as effective. I can pretty much kill anything on my archer/bard. So it just all boils down to you, if you are willing to grind out a tamer. It's just personal choice man, but you can pretty much farm anything either way.

Nihilism

Grandmaster
iceman2kx said:
Tamers are bards. It's the ultimate pvm template. Instead of relying on a weapon skill or magery you have a bad ass dragon that does it for you. They can kill pretty much anything effortlessly. Non tamer bards are good, just not as effective. I can pretty much kill anything on my archer/bard. So it just all boils down to you, if you are willing to grind out a tamer. It's just personal choice man, but you can pretty much farm anything either way.

This.

The only real added benefit of my tamer (that I made second) to my old provoarcher is when you recall in and there's only one mob.

Which is outweighed by the fact that you can actually be MOUNTED on your archer...

Personal choice. Both make obscene income.

Jager

Grandmaster
now is it best to go archer/voke? im in middle of making a thunter with magery/voke and was gonna use him for random PvM aswell as t-hunting. is that gonna work for me or should i have that melee skill instead?

Jager said:
now is it best to go archer/voke? im in middle of making a thunter with magery/voke and was gonna use him for random PvM aswell as t-hunting. is that gonna work for me or should i have that melee skill instead?

In my opinion, yes, Provoke + Archer is more versatile than Provoke + Melee, if only for the situations where you'll be facing a single mob (which is inevitable since one mob will always die before the other, not to mention if you run into a solo mob altogether), without any fodder to Provoke onto it, in which case Archery will allow you to kite and shoot, avoiding most damage (except against caster mobs, obviously), as opposed to melee, which has you taking physical hits all the time. Provoke + Mage also works great, for similar reasons, but with even more versatility.

@OP

While a Tamer template can certainly make more money, easier than Bard. It also requires TONS more time and effort to GM. I'd suggest getting started with a Provoker, and working on your Tamer on the side, but that's up to you, obviously.

I have one of each Archer and Mage Bards and both get the job done very well... Running Archery/Anatomy/Tactics/Healing/Music/Provo/Resist (although most will suggest picking Magery or Hiding over Resist, which I generally agree with) on my Archer and Magery/Meditation/Eval/Resist/Wrestling/Music/Provo on my Mage.

Messremb

Grandmaster
People who run Archer bards feel like they make lots of money, until they get a Provo tamer and find out how easy it is. I bank 8-10k every 5-10 min depending on how many people are our farming my spawns. I get a taming SS every other day at least right now and lots of other SSs, not to mention random rares and best of all statues.

Archer bards are great for making the money to make a tamer, but once you have a Provo tamer you wont go back to making money with your bard.

Also, I would add that a tamer with pets, no mater the build, is usually enough to take down solo PKs. Most PKs don't even attack me. they just run right by.

Jager

Grandmaster
and what kinda man hours does it take to build a tamer worthy of farming? probably should be GM+?

The Grixxitt

Apprentice
Jager said:
and what kinda man hours does it take to build a tamer worthy of farming? probably should be GM+?

If you go Tamer/Bard it will take about a week of casual play to get taming to 75+ or so to bond young dragons and provo to 80+ in order to do dragons\titans. It will take much longer to GM taming/provoke, however if you're actually using the skills and collecting money/taming scrolls it will go much quicker.

Earn while you learn...

Messremb

Grandmaster
The Grixxitt said:
Jager said:

If you go Tamer/Bard it will take about a week of casual play to get taming to 75+ or so to bond young dragons and provo to 80+ in order to do dragons\titans. It will take much longer to GM taming/provoke, however if you're actually using the skills and collecting money/taming scrolls it will go much quicker.

Earn while you learn...

this^^^

although you can and should GM provo. it really only takes maybe 8 hours. mostly unattended.

Jager

Grandmaster
yea i was thinking of working voke up first.. i just dont know if i have the time or patience to tame.. seems like it takes some dedication

Lexington

Grandmaster
Jager said:
yea i was thinking of working voke up first.. i just dont know if i have the time or patience to tame.. seems like it takes some dedication

Took me 6 months.. but I worked it very part time....

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
Quick Question - i was simply workign a mage tamer:

Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Fishing/LockPick/Meditation

I was originally going to make it a treasure hunter. Does it make more sense to drop Fishing (i'm 105) and LP and replace with music/provo? I've got a Provo archer (love 'em).

Fisher78

tamer makes more cash an faster then provo archer.

tamer bard unfortunately is a Pks wet dream.

tamer against reds well if u pick archery with taming ur a force to be rekoned with.if u plan to do archer tamer make sure u have all the drags u need before making this. u can have drag with WW. or 2 WW and u can have mount. build for this one is

Animal Lore
Taming
Vet
Anatomy
Archery
Tactics
Healing

Ledz Epplin

Master
I have tried all bard templates and prefer my bard/mage/stealther. I looooooves it. There's no where I can't get to and the only thing that kills me is the occasional pk if I'm not quick enough on the recall.