No Christmas Mobs

clutchxo

Grandmaster
Halloween mobs were a terrible idea, no good loot. Rarely dropped shit, and when they did it was trash. It's not worth the time to kill them, and the amount of spawns that allowed 3-4 holiday mobs to spawn made those area's impossible to kill and collect lootz. Not to mention holiday+paragon was fucking insane and didn't net anything.

I know I wrote this in about 4 minutes, and the follow through is miserable, but I'm at work and a co-worker mentioned to me that the Xmas mob's were coming. This is my initial post to get the word out there, I will polish this baby up in a few hours when I get home from work with some supportive reasoning. Or idea's to make it better, but for now. Please, PLEASE PLEASE! Do not put holiday mobs in this Xmas unless your going to ACTUALLY make it worthwhile.

(11/17/2016)
Quick update, I didn't really want to update this post after everyone voiced their concerns below, because..well honestly, I would be typing in the same message. Thank you all for your input and please, keep the suggestions coming. Currently it's pretty boring and I know the Admins are working pretty hard on Kingdoms (I hope!) and I seen a pretty cool image of the new dungeon they are releasing. Again, thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halloween mobs were a terrible idea, no good loot. Rarely dropped shit, and when they did it was trash. It's not worth the time to kill them, and the amount of spawns that allowed 3-4 holiday mobs to spawn made those area's impossible to kill and collect lootz. Not to mention holiday+paragon was fucking insane and didn't net anything.

I know I wrote this in about 4 minutes, and the follow through is miserable, but I'm at work and a co-worker mentioned to me that the Xmas mob's were coming. This is my initial post to get the word out there, I will polish this baby up in a few hours when I get home from work with some supportive reasoning. Or idea's to make it better, but for now. Please, PLEASE PLEASE! Do not put holiday mobs in this Xmas unless your going to ACTUALLY make it worthwhile.

I found them to be a real buzzkill. I started playing UOF the last week of September and they really bummed me out running into them right from the get go. I was able to kill a handful of ettins and liches but they were all really a pain in the ass and I wouldn't say it was a fun thing for a new player. I got a couple of Halloween dyes but mostly getting rid of the monster felt like a chore stopping me from what I really wanted to do.

Maybe make select high level creatures to spawn for the advanced player set who is interested in getting unique rare items. Leave the Halloween paragon air elemental and rotting corpse out of Despise II and Deceit I.

lollo

Grandmaster
Holiday mobs are fine. Just give them paragon loot at least. Spending 10 min killing a holiday balron only to have it drop 1400 gold is painful

Bromista

Grandmaster
Nothing like spending an hour to finally kill that holiday Guardian of Doom that cost your meta pets 20k XP in just a couple minutes/deaths...only to get jack shit in XP back from the thing and regular loot/no special drops.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

Why the hell not keep holiday mobs, just dont make them any stronger than the base mob?

That way they still have the potential of dropping their GARBAGE holiday loot, but they don't destroy your motivation to clear out a spawn.

Implementing such a change would ENCOURAGE players to kill the holiday mobs over the regular mobs rather than completely AVOIDING them.

What is the reasoning behind making the holiday spawns stronger than normal? So that the (500g worth) holiday skin paint doesn't destroy the economy? /rollseyes

Honest to God, i can't tell you how many times the following scenario has occurred:
I log in with intentions of farming for an extended period. Ran my route 2-3 times (10-15 minutes) until each location was loaded with too many holiday spawns to deal with ->>> logged off for the day.

Holiday mobs are fine. Just give them paragon loot at least. Spending 10 min killing a holiday balron only to have it drop 1400 gold is painful

Situations like this are a perfect example:

Why would you even waste your time? Spend 1-2K gold worth of regs to kill the "holiday hardened" mob when you're only gain from the baseline loot is a (rare) chance at a piece of shit paint bucket worth 500g.

It really is a boner kill.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
wasnt the xmas mobs one of the ones to actually have decent drops thou?

Green/red hats, green/red statues?

Or, implement a similar system to the MotM.

Holiday mobs could have a chance at spawning in SPECIFIC areas. These areas could even be chosen based on relation to the holiday. Halloween mobs could be undeads, christmas could be Ice related mobs. etc...

That way people have the option to CHOOSE to subject themselves to the headache of holiday spawn should they actual want their precious holiday loots. Yeah, it'll still mess up some peoples farming routes, but atleast the possibility exists to adjust your route to completely avoid the holiday spawns should you CHOOSE to do so.

I'd be willing to bet that you'd quickly find that these designated holiday areas would be dead zones for the duration of the holiday spawn.

Alternatively, leave everything as it is and give the holiday mobs a chance to drop an holiday themed aesthetic relic. Chistmas relic would blast candy canes out of your ass, the haloween would of course be candy corns. St pattys day relic could spawn a (1 hp) drunk leprechaun that would bounce around talk shit about EQMS.

Just kidding about that last paragraph, unless you gon' do it!

lollo

Grandmaster
wasnt the xmas mobs one of the ones to actually have decent drops thou?

Green/red hats, green/red statues?

That was xmas 2014.

xmas 2015 had shit loot, skin dyes and colored chests.

I'm not kidding, pretty sure i killed 200 of these 2016 halloween mobs and i got 5-6 skin dyes and 3 chests lol

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
why not just have them drop tokens...sort of like the xmas tokens u can turn in for high end prizes (flayed mask, meta dye, etc).

and maybe paragon loot...?

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Tbh easter was one of the best.
So here is my suggestion.
Drop candy canes (or something similar) and have the harder the mob the more candy canes dropped ie. 1 for every 500 hp. Then you put out a reward take ahead of event showing rewards for top candy canes turned in.
So you have first second third 4-10, 10-20, 30-50 rewards or however you want to split it.

By having rewards determined by place you can't really mess up drop rates because at the end of the event only the number if each reward that you wanted to hand out is exactly what will be handed out. The value of the reward will determine how actively people seek out seasonal mobs and what they are willing to pay for candy canes. This creates a valuable drop on all seasonal mobs without actually adding any extra items. (Except for rewards at end). You can still keep the rare chance at a statue and dyes etc.

Would be a nice addition if it was possible to track kills or damage done and have a separate reward for that so that those actually hunting get a reward as well if the rich are buying the candy canes.

*I agree this method gives the rich an unfair advantage. However, this will also put a lot of coin in the pockets of those selling the candy canes and if all seasonal events are handled this way eventually the sellers become the rich and the rich will have spent their gold.

FAMARA

Grandmaster
Drop candy canes (or something similar) and have the harder the mob the more candy canes dropped ie. 1 for every 500 hp. Then you put out a reward take ahead of event showing rewards for top candy canes turned in.
So you have first second third 4-10, 10-20, 30-50 rewards or however you want to split it.

By having rewards determined by place you can't really mess up drop rates because at the end of the event only the number if each reward that you wanted to hand out is exactly what will be handed out. The value of the reward will determine how actively people seek out seasonal mobs and what they are willing to pay for candy canes. This creates a valuable drop on all seasonal mobs without actually adding any extra items. (Except for rewards at end). You can still keep the rare chance at a statue and dyes etc.

Would be a nice addition if it was possible to track kills or damage done and have a separate reward for that so that those actually hunting get a reward as well if the rich are buying the candy canes.

*I agree this method gives the rich an unfair advantage. However, this will also put a lot of coin in the pockets of those selling the candy canes and if all seasonal events are handled this way eventually the sellers become the rich and the rich will have spent their gold.

perfect ^

I like these ideas, but i think (it may just be a matter of personal opinion) that the major flaw with the holiday mob system is that you're FORCED to encounter these (unreasonably tougher) mobs since they spawn EVERYWHERE.

The shitty loot is just a supporting fact that there's nearly no incentive to currently kill them when you do UNDOUBTEDLY encounter them...

Fixing the loot doesn't alleviate the underlying problem - again just in my opinion...