PvP Warrior Love: Platemail

EMPstrike

Neophyte
The Dead Horse stuff, skip to the idea and save some reading ^^

Mages have grea Meditatable armor that rivals metal armor now, as well as reactive armor, Protection, and Reflect. They are defensive/offensive powerhouses now who can attack at range. (and can simultaneously use stun-punch)

Platemail(and dragon Mail) was never popular because it only protected against melee/archery and slowed down a warriors swing speed.

Warriors require much less upkeep and are easier to play (they dont require ammo nor mana), but have no range (cant kite) and now hit once for fair-decent damage only occasionally. Magery is required to have the same protection agaisnt magery that a mage has.

typical defenses of one who has the Magery skill:
Resist (Agaisnt magery)
Barbed leather armor (Against Melee)
Spell Reflection/Reactive armor (agaisnt magery/Melee)
Arch Protection (agaisnt melee)
The ability to heal/cure Instantly without takign up an extra skill slot. (All damage)
Additional healing/cure at the cost of 100 skill points.
Range (against melee)
Potions.

Warrior Defenses, without magery:
Resist (against magery)
Armor with high armor rating (Agaisnt melee)
Healing at the cost of 100 skill points. (all damage [but delayed])

The Idea

My idea is for platemail/dragon mail.

It would give warriors a bit more utility to counter Magic damage if platemail/Dragon mail were able to further resist soem damage from spells in some way.

Toss it around or shoot it down and thanks fer readin :)

Sapperman

Grandmaster
I like the idea. Historically, warriors have always been disadvantaged in UO. Would give some good reason for crafters to make that type of armor as well. I think that dragon mail especially should get a magic defense bonus. Maybe give the armor (plate could be included as well) a 5% chance to completely nullify a spell (any spell) and another 25% chance to reduce the effectiveness of a spell by 50%. Would even the playing field between mage and dexer. Currently any mage can fight a dexer with 400 points (magery, eval, med, wrestling) This would force more uoforever mage templates, tank mage etc. Those numbers may be a bit overpowered but it would make things interesting.

Darktrix

Expert
correct me if im wrong but there are different colours of dragon armour right? What if red dragon armour added a chance to resist fire spells, green poison spells, blue electric/energy based?

But then this could cause havoc in PvM balancing i suppose. Just an idea! perhaps only applied in PvP?

or add in magic reflect shields with charges lol! same huge balancing issue though!

Geriatric

Expert
sounds like what they did when they introduced age of shadows
if we are going to go down that route may as well add everything else in too necromancy focus chivalry

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
I completely agree. I don't know why dexxers are so popular, they are completely broken in UO. Not only do they fall apart in PvP, they cannot take more than 1-2 minor mobs at the same time. Having a delay for bandages AND for potions cripples them. And having Magery help protect against certain spells basically gives a bonus magic resistance to mages only.

I am not suggesting any existing skill/factor be changed, but maybe adding something like this could at least help bridge the gap. I wouldn't touch platemail, but dragon mail has vast room for improvement. For one, I never see it. Nobody uses it. In medieval/fantasy lore, dragon mail is supposed to be the stuff of legend. Here it is basically vendor trash. I like the idea of colored mail giving different resistances per color. Not only would that help this PROBLEM drastically, but it takes it a step further and adds more customization.

Babethoven

Grandmaster
if anything.........the slayer armor that was implemented should have the % chance to reduce whatever type of damage that piece is crafted with pending on the attribute imbued using the ledgendary hammer..... i wouldnt see a downfall if platemail reduced energy bolt/explosion damage by 2-5 points of damage IF the armor itself was made from a legendary hammer/slayer armor

Sapperman

Grandmaster
It wouldn't work for only legendary hammer/slayer armor. All that would do is push it more towards AoS based playstyle, meaning the folks who play the most have the biggest advantage. It would have to be generally usable by all players. Dragon scale armor would be perfect. its rather difficult to make and scales are a pain to gather but any smith can make at least most of the pieces.