Respeccing skills

Squib

Neophyte
I am looking for advice regarding changing a couple skills. I ask this here because of the nature of the skills. Currently, my template is as follows in real values:

Alchemy 47.6
Anatomy 100
Eval Int 100
Meditation 100
Magery 100
Resist Spells 100
Wrestling 100

I'd like to ultimately change 2 skills to Animal Lore and Taming (eliminating wrestling & anatomy) but the purpose of this post is regarding taming, specifically.

Should I start a character from scratch or would it be just as arduous getting taming up in either scenario? In other words, will this slow down the gains for taming?

Any counsel is appreciated.

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
Skill gain rate is not determined by how many other skill points you already have, i.e. you will gain any skill just as fast whether you have 100 skill points or 600.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
I am looking for advice regarding changing a couple skills. I ask this here because of the nature of the skills. Currently, my template is as follows in real values:

Alchemy 47.6
Anatomy 100
Eval Int 100
Meditation 100
Magery 100
Resist Spells 100
Wrestling 100

I'd like to ultimately change 2 skills to Animal Lore and Taming (eliminating wrestling & anatomy) but the purpose of this post is regarding taming, specifically.

Should I start a character from scratch or would it be just as arduous getting taming up in either scenario? In other words, will this slow down the gains for taming?

Any counsel is appreciated.
pvp tamer? i noticed no vet and ur keeping alchemy

Squib

Neophyte
I went with this template as it has strong PvM capabilities as well as PK backlash. Hence the alchemy. I opted out of vet healing for this reason and realize it is quite inefficient to heal pets with magic but thought I'd try it to see how it goes

Squib

Neophyte
Once complete, the template should look like this:

100 Alchemy
100 Animal Lore
100 Animal Taming
100 Eval Int
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resist Magic

Shortbus, are you saying it is better without alchy? If i were to drop it, i'd take vet but I figured the utility of alchy would be nice to have

drasked

Grandmaster
Once complete, the template should look like this:

100 Alchemy
100 Animal Lore
100 Animal Taming
100 Eval Int
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Resist Magic

Shortbus, are you saying it is better without alchy? If i were to drop it, i'd take vet but I figured the utility of alchy would be nice to have
Unless you have a maxed out meta ready to go this is going to be a very underwhelming pvm template. Worse than a provo archer I would imagine.

Squib

Neophyte
Would you care to shed some light? What do you mean, meta?

What good is a tamer if not for PvM? lol... I figured a decent tamer would not be a cake walk for a pk. Would replacing alchy for vet be a better decision? How about Provo tamer?

@Malkraven, what does a dexxer have that would lay waste to this build vs other tamer builds?

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
no wrestling.... if you want a tamer capable of defending yourself, swap out alchemy for wrestling.

If you want a pure PVM tamer get vet or provo

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Would you care to shed some light? What do you mean, meta?

What good is a tamer if not for PvM? lol... I figured a decent tamer would not be a cake walk for a pk. Would replacing alchy for vet be a better decision? How about Provo tamer?

@Malkraven, what does a dexxer have that would lay waste to this build vs other tamer builds?

what i was saying is with no wrestle or no def wrestle (anat+eval) any dexxer you come up against in pvp would hit you 100% of his swings so if u want to be able to defend yourself is far better options than alcy.

Squib

Neophyte
Thanks for info. I had wrestling but dropped it.

Although, after doing some more reading, I came across an interesting template that apparently (according to author) is very strong in PvP without sacrificing too many PvM capabilities. What do you think?

GM archery, tactics, anatomy, resist.
mix in 80 Lore, 80 vet, 75 taming (for young dragons), 65 magery

Edit: This also caters to Drasked's reply regarding archery

drasked

Grandmaster
Thanks for info. I had wrestling but dropped it.

Although, after doing some more reading, I came across an interesting template that apparently (according to author) is very strong in PvP without sacrificing too many PvM capabilities. What do you think?

GM archery, tactics, anatomy, resist.
mix in 80 Lore, 80 vet, 75 taming (for young dragons), 65 magery

Edit: This also caters to Drasked's reply regarding archery

I recently made a tamer and was surprised how underwhelming just having a Death Beetle + WW without provo is. I would say its almost impossible to go without vet if you dont have provo or a sick meta dragon. And having vet is just a huge quality of life thing in general.

As for the template you are proposing, i think its both a bad pvm and pvp template.

You lack the capability of doing high end monsters without provo at a fast rate using only young dragons to tank.

As for PVP, often when you get jumped your pets are engaged on monsters and if you dont have provo its hard to redirect them on to the PK because the monsters will keep attacking your pets. So lets take your pets out of the equation. Now you are just left with an archer that has no healing. Good luck getting a gheal off without wrestling and if you do, it will be a mediocre gheal at best with only 65 magery.

If you are not going all out on taming (meta pet that will cost you 20~ mil) i don't think it's worth the grind considering how effective a provo archer with a slayer bow is.

Provo archer:

Archery
Tactics
Anat
Healing
Music
Provo
Hiding or Resist

My tamer:

Magery
85 Med
115 Taming
115 Lore
Vet
Provo
Music

tl;dr
Make a pure PVM template and have an actual PVP character on standby if you get jumped and want to fight.

Squib

Neophyte
Thanks Drasked. This is good stuff...

I have considered the provo archer before but perhaps an alteration to it?

Archery
Tactics
Magery
Meditation
Resist
Music
Provo

I like the magery aspect but with this, there is no eval int effectively causing magery to be a distant second for offense. Is there something else i could consider? Or how about this...

Archery
Tactcs
Mage
Healing (also considering Alchemy)
Resist
Music
Provo

I hope you dont mind I am digging deeper than originally intended. Looking for a template both fun and effective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shortbus

Grandmaster
Top one drop med for anatomy for more archer damage. Hell maybe even drop resist for healing.

2nd one healing with no anatomy is no bueno. Worthless.

You seem pretty hell bent on having resist on all templates, and hell bent on having alchemy for some reason. Play what you want to play. Remember though, with Archery you have to disarm to drink heal/cure/refresh/strength/agility pots and you cannot throw an explode pot with a bow equipped, so alchemy on an archer is basically a wasted skill.

Squib

Neophyte
Many things you need to consider. Thanks for shedding some light! I have been reading a popular one is the Provo archer that drasked listed above and will likely be the one I go with: archer/tactics/healing/anatomy/music/provo/hide. Thanks for pro tips!

One last thing: as this build is drastically different than my first intentions, what is a good stat spread? Str100, Dex100, Int20?

Last edited by a moderator:

drasked

Grandmaster
Many things you need to consider. Thanks for shedding some light! I have been reading a popular one is the Provo archer that drasked listed above and will likely be the one I go with: archer/tactics/healing/anatomy/music/provo/hide. Thanks for pro tips!

One last thing: as this build is drastically different than my first intentions, what is a good stat spread? Str100, Dex100, Int20?

If you are hell-bent on having magery then yeah, i would replace hiding/resist with magery, but i don't really see why, you will have very low mana with optimal dps stats (100/100/25). Keep in mind you can recall with 100% success rate even without magery by using recall scroll charges from your runebooks.

I would say the only interchangeable spell on the template i listed is the hiding/resist, the rest is pretty much essential. Resist takes a little more effort to GM compared to hiding and makes you more durable both in PVP and PVM, whereas hiding is easy to GM and has some aggro breaking uses and lets you be somewhat lazy in dungeons being able to just semi-afk chill in a corner while hidden (just remember some PK's have tracking)

Also don't go alchemy on a PVM template, it's a wasted skill. You can throw explo pots even without alchemy and if you are not experienced with using them they can easily work against you. For example the pots can explode in your hands if you don't time them properly and the opponent is able to run the pots in to you damaging both him and you.