Running Razor on Linux(instructions)

SinVecus

The instructions posted here are intended for everyone that was affected by the recent change, banning the use of UOSteam for connecting to the game. Just like me, I am sure that everyone who was running the game on linux was using UOSteam, not to speedhack or use unfair PvP macros, but because it was the easiest way to run the game consistently on linux.

That being said, it is possible to run the game using Razor, just not the patched one supplied by the UOForever website. For that one, I still get a weird segmentation fault during installation.

**Note: I assume that you already have done the necessary steps to install Ultima Online on your machine( i.e. installing wine, creating 32bit prefix if you are running on 64bit machine, installing .NET Framework 4, etc.). If someone is now beginning with the game and have any problem with starting out, post here and I'll do my best to answer any question you may have.

Step 1: Download Razor from here : http://www.runuo.com/products/razor

Step 2: Use winetricks to install dotnet20 in your prefix. In case you have any errors during installation, that's probably because your distro had in its repositories an outdated version of wine. If that is the case, just install wine 1.7 from the repositories (instructions for Ubuntu ) :
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks

Step 3: Install Razor

Step 4: Now that's the tricky part. Razor doesn't allow you to change the server you are connecting ( more precisely the "port" field is greyed out). To fix that do the following:
Open the registry editor for your prefix (in my case that would be $WINEARC=32 WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.prefix32 regedit)
Locate the Razor entry (for me, it was at HKEY_USERS > S-1-5-21-0-0-0-1000 > Software > Razor)
Change two entries:
"LastServer" to "login.uoforever.com"
"LastPort" to "****"

Step 5: Run the client. Autodetect of the client worked for me, if you have problems, just manually set it.
The "server" field will appear blank and the "port" field will be greyed out. Don't worry about that, just leave it like it is, and connect.

That is all. If anyone (of the few of us) that wishes to run the game on Linux, still has any problems after following these steps, please post here for additional help.

halygon

Grandmaster
I see this being useful for a lot of Linux users. Please put this on the wiki page under its own topic so all can find it easily.

SinVecus

I did this and got everything else done but when I open it it just gets stuck loading forever...Please help

You mean the "game loading screen" , or does it hang during installation?

Haven't seen that before (hanging during installation is normal, but not on loading)

Are you sure you have the game and Razor installed in a 32 bit prefix?
Also, did your .NET 2.0 installation finish with no errors?

Please, be a little more specific with the steps you've taken, so I can try to reproduce it.

SinVecus

You mean the "game loading screen" , or does it hang during installation?

Haven't seen that before (hanging during installation is normal, but not on loading)

Are you sure you have the game and Razor installed in a 32 bit prefix?
Also, did your .NET 2.0 installation finish with no errors?

Please, be a little more specific with the steps you've taken, so I can try to reproduce it.

Ohh, i just remebered one more thing. Are you are running the command (to run Razor) from inside the Razor folder? 'Cause that is a must.
Even if you create a custom laucher, you have to have it navigate in the razor folder first, like this (example from my pc, change username appropriately):

sh -c "cd /home/user/.prefix32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Razor; WINEARC=32 WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.prefix32 wine /home/user/.prefix32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Razor/Razor.exe"

Last edited by a moderator:

kmotion

Apprentice
how do you create a prefix within wine?
im using Linux Mint 17.1 x64, and everything i've read so far is that razor "looks" for the prefix32, but when it can't find it, it will hang on the loading screen.
the stuff i found online isn't written very well (not noob friendly).

please help!

kmotion

Apprentice
nm, figured it out!
although this post didn't quite solve my issue, it DID point me in the right direction!

Great post!

Here's the post from another board where i got the answer from.

UOR + wine (linux / mac / windows xD / whatever)

* Install wine (that depends on your distribution/system operating)
* Install winetricks script (http://winetricks.org/winetricks)
> Linux version:
> Use your package manager, read your distribution docs if you dont know how/what it is.

> Mac version:
> The basic steps are:
> - Install X11 of some type
> - Install Xcode and Apple's Command Line Developer Tools
> - Install and update MacPorts
> - Use MacPorts to install Wine and winetricks

* Setup new wine prefix: (just click ok)
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

* Dotnet setup to get razor working:
Get MS dotnet20 (agree, next, next, next finish)
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet20
>wine-1.7.11 and later (dotnet20 doesnt work)< WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet20sp2
Get MS gdiplus lib (used by dotnet)
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 winetricks gdiplus

* Install downloaded client (save to ~/.wine/uor/drive_c)
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 wine "C:\UO_Renaissance_Client_Full.exe"

* Run like so (use either one)
cd ~/.wine/uor/drive_c/Ultima\ Online; WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 wine "C:\Ultima Online\client_noenc.exe"
OR
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 wine "C:\Program Files\Razor\Razor.exe"

* What to do if running razor reports: "This Razor installation is corrupted."
- download http://www.runuo.com/files/razor/Razor_Latest.exe to ~/.wine/uor/drive_c and run (installing into default directory replacing previous razor):
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 wine "C:\Razor_Latest.exe"

* On other razor problems close it and try starting again.

Note:
- use prefix like in guide (saves a lot of problems later if you want to get more apps which requires diffrent things to get it working right (like diffrent dotnet or uncompatible dll overrides), plus it gives you clean registry/enviroment for each app)
- winearch is required (at least for wine compiled with win64 support)
- Mac users: creating shortcut: open Automator and choose to make an application. the application should consist of the following single 'run shell script' action WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/uor WINEARCH=win32 wine "C:\Program Files\Razor\Razor.exe" save the application anywhere you want. double-clicking on it will execute your command and launch it.