Smithing Question

illusion

Master
I just recently did my 50-GM entirely at the Brit Crafters area.
50-95.3 took about 15k ingots. I used short spears from mid 60s-95.3.
95.3-GM took about 6.5k ingots. Platemail gorgets.
Total at Brit Crafters - 21.5k ingots.

I made sure I was well fed, and well drank with water. I also ran him around every 2 or so skill gains.

trevoriv

Neophyte
I just recently did my 50-GM entirely at the Brit Crafters area.
50-95.3 took about 15k ingots. I used short spears from mid 60s-95.3.
95.3-GM took about 6.5k ingots. Platemail gorgets.
Total at Brit Crafters - 21.5k ingots.

I made sure I was well fed, and well drank with water. I also ran him around every 2 or so skill gains.

This is definately the way to do it!

Bromista

Grandmaster
Just do what I did: macro in the orc cave and when an orc comes up to you asking for tribute say hold on one sec I don't carry gold on my crafter, hit recall button, find something else to do for 5 min, and repeat.

I think I lost 800 ingots once. Nothing hurt. My time will almost always be more valuable than resources consumed. If you feel the same then the dungeon bonus is for you. If macroing in safety is more your style then obviously you want to hit the crafters guild.

Don't forget you can craft while hidden, just hide in your house and hop a gate into the dungeon and you'll remain hidden. Also don't forget to stop what you're doing when someone shows up so they don't hear you crafting.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Just do what I did: macro in the orc cave and when an orc comes up to you asking for tribute say hold on one sec I don't carry gold on my crafter, hit recall button, find something else to do for 5 min, and repeat.

I think I lost 800 ingots once. Nothing hurt. My time will almost always be more valuable than resources consumed. If you feel the same then the dungeon bonus is for you. If macroing in safety is more your style then obviously you want to hit the crafters guild.

Don't forget you can craft while hidden, just hide in your house and hop a gate into the dungeon and you'll remain hidden. Also don't forget to stop what you're doing when someone shows up so they don't hear you crafting.

Yup and I'm quite certain that you actually save resources using the dungeon bonus. its simple math, 50% skill gain bonus means it takes half the resources as elsewhere, 20% less resource cost means it only takes 80% of the resources. 50<80 thus dungeon bonus will use less resources. I recommend the orc cave every time.

Also Bro the orcs are easily appeased make them some armor or something and they not only leave you alone but will protect you from other reds. its kind of nice. ;)

halygon

Grandmaster
its simple math, 50% skill gain bonus means it takes half the resources as elsewhere, 20% less resource cost means it only takes 80% of the resources. 50<80 thus dungeon bonus will use less resources. I recommend the orc cave every time.
Not sure it's that simple. For crafters guild you get a guaranteed 20% less resource usage. In dungeons you get a 150% increase in a "possible" skill gain per skill usage. This is not guaranteed and therefore you cannot say that it takes half the time to GM in the dungeons. These are also two entirely different performance indicators (yeah I pulled out the big consulting words ;-) ), which means they are not really comparable.

Bromista

Grandmaster
While that's true about the potential variation in skill gain in dungeons that can also be said above ground too.

I do feel like the dungeon bonus is basically a gaurantee to get off cheaper...iiiiif you don't get killed much. And you're going to get killed.

So in the end your mileage may vary no matter what as far as skill gain/time. Your choice comes down to safety, convenience, and personal preference.

And I'll never pay no stinkin' "tribuut" to use a dungeon! Fuck 'um!