So, how do you UO again?

Aarkane

Hail all,

It has been 18 years since I last played UO...

I remember being a young pup sharing an account with a buddy of mine that had an opposite schedule as me. We played a single character that we kept online almost 24 hours a day. We would spend weekends at either one of our houses taking turns playing while the other slept with an occasional drive to the local fast food burger shop to grab a milk shake in the wee hours of the morning before making the playtime handoff.

Oh, how much fun those days were. Back when we had so much less responsibility. I don't remember what shard we played on, but I do remember our character's name. Cumquat...because you know, we were juvenile and thought we were being funny before realizing that it was actually a fruit with a different spelling.

I also remember having a number of run-ins with a pesky PK spell caster named Xavier. That SOB would light up the screen with spells while we ran from the little squiggly lines chasing us and pray our connection didn't lag or drop. We hated that guy...but he eventually felt sorry for us and we ended up teaming up to kill other PKs....fun times!

In any case, I was sitting at work last week with a couple colleagues who had also played UO back in the day. We talked about various things we liked or didn't like from our personal experiences. I then wondered if the game was still alive, so I started researching over the weekend. I found that it was, so I got "the itch" to check it out but didn't want to end up paying $12 a month for a 20 year old game...which brings me here.

I found UOF during my research and figured I had nothing to lose, so I downloaded the game client and installed. I am happy to say it is very nostalgic to walk around Britania again. I am quite impressed with the number of people that are actually playing the game, especially on a non-official free shard! With that said, I am trying to get my feet wet and get back into the swing of understanding how to do pretty much everything. I didn't research UOF too much in the whole lineage of the live game, but I don't really care right now. I am having a blast relearning it. I am a brand new dad (an older one at that) with my first child, so I see UOF filling some dead time in the foreseeable future.

I have read a number of wikis on commands to know and general game play, but feel free to drop me any personal tips to get me headed in the right direction!

There has been one thing that has bugged me a little. When I kill something along a South/East wall in the starter dungeon, the body is hidden and not clickable...so I can't loot it. Is there a command to loot bodies that are hidden in such cases?

Thanks!

Ranker

Master
Welcome to the server! You will find it is a great place, I'd suggest a Archer/Bard or Dexxer to get you going. Other than that there are plenty of guides on here and other places, so I am sure you will find them helpful. Again welcome to the server and PM if I can help you in any way.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Welcome to Forever, I love the returning stories, I've been back 3 months after a 15 year break from UO, due to a bit of nostalgia myself, and I'm pretty much hooked now.. Oh what a game this was. Archer/Bard is definitely good advice, but it all depends on what you want to play, Bard just lets you do tougher monsters, better rewards, with little cost to startup resources. I started out as a mage, and had a lot of fun, was still able to level, a little slower to get seed capital, but I'm doing alright for myself. I'd suggest taking the time to enjoy things, and when you get to the point of choosing a guild to join, find one that fits your playstyle, what you want to get out of the game. There are guilds out there that focus on PvP, or PvM, or Champs.. some dabble in a little bit of everything, there are lots of options. I'd also advise you to get on the Discord UOF server, there's lots of people chatting, and willing to help there, if you do hop on to discord, and need any help have any questions feel free to PM me - AreYouKidden (Avalon)#0403 - always happy to help out someone newly returned.

In answer to your question above, you can hold CTRL-SHIFT, and double click the corpse name that comes up, to get the corpse, or you can look into options, and enable circle of transparency (can be hotkey'd), in order to see under walls in an area around your character.

In the meantime, enjoy the fun ride!