Some questions on this shard

Ciccio

Novice
Hi,
(and sorry for my english).
some questions, pls. I'm an old new player!:
1) where can i find the skills of each class?
2) is there a class system? Better a classed pg or multiskill?
3) which is the skill cup (i mean the total)?
4) what's the meaning of the "real skill"? why is it always lesser than the one in skill menu? which i consider correct?
5) can i use auto-map?
6) can pk kill inside dungeons?
7) is it allowed macroing afk?
8) can i stay afk without macroing?

At the moment i've no further questions

Thank you all for your help

Fuschino

Adept
Hi,
4) what's the meaning of the "real skill"? why is it always lesser than the one in skill menu? which i consider correct?
5) can i use auto-map?

1) If you mean to initially train them, it's just like OSI/EA - at vendors (i.e. mage shops, tinker shops, etc.). Thief guild master in is Bucs Cove.
2) Not sure about that. I'll leave that to someone else in this thread.
3) 700 skills
4) Always wondered that myself.
5) I believe yes. http://uoforum.com/threads/guide-to-setting-up-uo-automap.11216/
6) Yes. Count on it.
7) Yes but not for collecting resources (ore, logs, etc.)
8) Yes

Real skill doesn't factor in your stats (dex, str, and int), which affect your shown skill and ability to use the skill I believe. Your real skill will slowly catch up and be the same as shown the closer you get to 100 (the real skill can go up without the shown going up. So if you are at the skill cap, a skill may go down .1 without a skill raising, because the 'real' skill went up and the shown stayed the same, if you follow.

There is no class system, so you are free to use your 700 skill points however you want. There are a bunch of common 'builds' that you may consider, but its mostly up to you and your desired play style. I recommend that you try playing some CTF (capture the flag) to test out some PvP templates without having to spend the time raising the skills to see what you like regarding PvP. Also, I will point out that skills raise much faster in dungeons, and make sure when you hit the 700 show real skill cap that you mark a skill with points in show real to go down, otherwise you won't be able to gain anymore.

That's a good chunk. Let me know if u still have ?'s.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster

There are no "classes" in UO, you can customize and take whatever skills you want. Best way to look at it is you get to pick 7 skills to take to 100/GM. There are definitely archetypes, such as warrior/dexxer, mage, thief, animal tamer, archer, etc. Just make posts about these in forums and people will help you out. Also see the official wiki: www.uofwiki.com, which is very bare bones right now cause it's brand new but you should find plenty of info on skills there.

In general it is better to make streamlined character, not multi-skilled ones. Multi-skilled characters are usually called "gimped" because they are a jack of all trades, master of none. It's usually best to pour all 7 of your chosen skills into ONE area of focus, and do that thing extremely well. Mainly because you are competing with other players who are doing so via pvp, and also you can create multiple characters and don't need to satisfy all your desires with just one.

700 skills points total, 225 stat points. Your skill cap CAN be raised by 20 points for the first set of powerscrolls you use (105-110-115-120, not just four 105's for example). However even if you use multiple powerscrolls beyond this point, you must raise/lower other skills to draw from the same pool of 720.

REAL skill is always what you should look at. That is your base skill, and is what your character currently "has" in that skill. SHOWN skill is just the numerical value the game will use in calculations, after any buffs/stat bonuses/etc are taken into account. Annoyingly, the game shows you your 'shown' skill first which is never the one you want to see, so you always have to click the little icon to see your 'real' skill.

5) can i use auto-map?

UOSteam has an auto map feature I believe. Also you can use UOAutoMap altogether if you want. This is mainly for guilds to pinpoint your exact location, for casual play just referring to towns/locations and using a google'd world map is usually fine.

Yes, you can PK anywhere. However you will suffer statloss if YOU in fact are killed after starting an attack, and the other player skins your corpse to take your head. Statloss is a temporary loss of stats/skills that takes 2 days to wear off. So basically if you die as a red, you can't play him for 2 days. I am not sure on exact info, and also this system is seeing a major overhaul very soon, but anyway, YES you can PK in dungeons.

YES, this is allowed. You are allowed to macro skills like hiding, evaluating intelligence, snooping, etc. while afk, leave it overnight, whatever. However there is a very fine line to walk because if you afk-macro resource gathering (mining, lumberjacking, etc), you are eligible for automatic ban, which the devs take very seriously. The idea is you are "corrupting" the economy by inflating a certain produce, like ingots, which affects everyone else negatively for your own gain.

Not sure what you mean. Are you allowed to just...stand there? Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuschino

Adept
Real skill doesn't factor in your stats (dex, str, and int), which affect your shown skill and ability to use the skill I believe. Your real skill will slowly catch up and be the same as shown the closer you get to 100 (the real skill can go up without the shown going up. .

Great info! Always wondered about this!

Ciccio

Novice
Thank you ALL for your answers and your time.

So, now, the last two questions! :p

9) my pg is (he'd like) a crafter...seven skill...carpentry, tinkering, blacksmithy, mining, lumberjacking, bowcraft, armslore.......but i've read someone trains alchemy and inscription (probably to sell kegs and runebook)...any tips about it?
10) mining: i'll find always the same vein in the same place (clicking on the same pixel :p) or is it only skill based (i.e. mining 10=only iron, mining 100=in the same pixel iron and valorite)?

Thank you again ;)

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
For a crafter, definitely put tailoring in there. Very important here because tailoring BODs have great rewards that are good steady income for crafters. Arms Lore on the other hand, not needed at all. This skill works the same at 0.0, no reason to put points into it. You may also want Hiding cause this lets you quickly disappear if you suspect a PK in the field, or while crafting at Brit when thieves may take your things, etc. I would say this is essential.

This does bump you over 7 skills though, so possibly make a second crafter and give him, like you said, alchemy (to make potions) and inscription (mainly just for recalls). As for which skills to put on which crafter, just keep blacksmithing/mining/carpentry/tinkering together on the same guy. Lots of little end game-type reasons, you'll thank me later. Last note, having 45 in musicianship lets your carpenter craft your own instruments if you happen to have a bard character. Otherwise, skip it.

As for mining, yeah you can find better colored ore the higher your skill gets. After mining in the same spot about 20-30 times, it usually dries up and you have to click one tile over.

Last edited by a moderator:

khajja

Master
to tag onto edwerd's comment. with mining, not all spots can yield all ore, however you are always limited by your mining skill. so a particular spot will yield valorite if your skill is high enough, or iron if it's not. that spot will not yield shadow, no matter what your skill is.

khajja

Master
afk macro all you like as long as it's not resource gathering. don't forget that skill gains are diminished inside of a house, and boosted in a dungeon (including sewers)

asics

Grandmaster
Hi,
5) can i use auto-map?

sei italiano?:) sei quello di zhi?
cmq,

no class system , 700 skill CAP (cup means coppa :p)
automap yes,

pk everywhere
macro afk : not mining\taming\lumberjacking

you can say afk without yes ;)

mandami un pm che ti addo su skype ;)

Ciccio

Novice
sei italiano?:) sei quello di zhi?
cmq,

no class system , 700 skill CAP (cup means coppa :p)
automap yes,

pk everywhere
macro afk : not mining\taming\lumberjacking

you can say afk without yes ;)

mandami un pm che ti addo su skype

Ciao asics,
grazie anche a te delle info e della correzione!
Sono stato anche su zhi, un bel po' di tempo fa...
Vediamo se mi torna la voglia di giocare, non ho più tutto quel tempo libero!

;)

ps: non ho skype, msn, fb, twitter, icq...niente di tutto ciò :)

asics

Grandmaster
e manco io sono piu un super infognato di fb ecc ecc, ma skype scaricatelo, almeno ci becchiamo in game..

fatti beccare ;)

Ciccio

Novice
Hi again!
Two questions more, pls:
1) how can i decrease skills? In the skill menu the indicator points downward but it doesn't work. I tried using skill with arrow down...nothing..
2) suddenly my pgs are no longer "young"?! my thirrd pg has seven minutes of gameplay! The young status is connected to the account or pg?

TY

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
You can only decrease skills once you're at the skill cap (700 without powerscrolls, 720 with). And yeah young status is account wide

Ciccio

Novice
ty for your help!
Now...again...some questions more:
1) i'd like to know special commands usable in gameplay....in other server i found command like ".loot", ".move" (to transfer objects from a bag to another one), ".backstab", bank, balance, "sell all" (to sell to npc 200 dagger in a sec), ecc ecc. Any commands useful here? Where can i find them?
2) i bought a runebook...is that blessed? or i loose that when i die? can a thief steal a runebook?
3) parryng for a warrior? useful in pvm or pvp?
4) What armor should a warrior wear? Plate? Chain? Studded?

thank you again

asics

Grandmaster
non ci sono sti comandi ciccio , ma dove giocavi su zhi? i comandi sono

bank, balance, check "cifra" per creare un assegno,

runebook sono blessati\no steleable

parrying è inutile

il war mette la chain ..

per pvp fatti un dexer se vuoi usare il war:

stat 100-95-30
skill: combat (sword\mace\fencing) tactics , anatomy, healing, resist spell , lumberjacking , magery

usi le ascie e con un AXE qualsiasi Silver vai a uccidere i lich e riesci a oneshottarli o max in due colpi..e fai bei soldi..e anche in pvp riesci a picchiare molto

con Lumberjack hai un bonus a usare le axe.. cmq se alzi lumber, non alzarla tagliando legna (che è troppo lenta) ma alzala combattendo con una axe in mano!

fatti sentire se hai bisogno!

a presto