Target queing vs waitfortarget

darthdeus

Journeyman
There seems to be two approaches to doing targeting, and sometimes I see one, sometimes the other, never really sure which one I should use. For example:

promptalias 'kill'
target 'kill'
msg 'all kill'
cleartargetqueue

vs

promptalias 'kill'
msg 'all kill'
waitfortarget 3000
target! 'kill'

which one of these approaches is better? Is one superior in all cases, or are there specific scenarios where queing can be better? I've heard some people say queing is bad, but then again, it pops up every now and then.

A Stoned Figure

Grandmaster
Que targets can be good or bad, just depends on the user.

Good- With que targets you can drop spells the exact ms the spell cursor comes up, vs without, you have to perfect the timing on your own. Can be extremely useful sneeking in a g heal in a tight spot. Over-all faster casting imo

Bad- Some people tend to drop harmful spells onto them self when switching to defense from offence, also might cause a exp pot to insta throw, or mess up timing a nox or lightning in a sync. if you cant keep up with whats qued and be able to disrupt/clear que at appropriate times, then manual is your only option.(unless using steam where you can do both)

In steam and razor i believe you can do a mix, you can have somethings que and others not. In sallos sadly its one or the other (from what i kno, could be wrong)

In your situation with that macro eaither will do, and be just as fast

Over all, its a players preference and what they feel works best for them. I myself use sallos and use que targets

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Star

Grandmaster
That is something that I am still trying to figure out. It is faster to have the target queued but can backfire. Especially if you do something like start an offensive spell and change to a defensive spell before the first one is finished. You can end up changing the prompted target and fire it before the second macro can cancel the previous target.

halygon

Grandmaster
in UOS, you can use autotarget instead of queues (personally I never use queues).

You can do this in two ways:
Code:
autotargetobject 'ObjectAlias'
<<<<spell/skill/action here>>>>>

or some spells allow you to specify the target directly in the spell line:
Code:
cast 'heal 'self'

bane

Master
There seems to be two approaches to doing targeting, and sometimes I see one, sometimes the other, never really sure which one I should use. For example:

promptalias 'kill'
target 'kill'
msg 'all kill'
cleartargetqueue

vs

promptalias 'kill'
msg 'all kill'
waitfortarget 3000
target! 'kill'

which one of these approaches is better? Is one superior in all cases, or are there specific scenarios where queing can be better? I've heard some people say queing is bad, but then again, it pops up every now and then.
It isn't really a question of using one or the other since using both together in combat macros prevents you from accidentally targeting yourself or friendlies with hostile actions if you use target queuing in steam. So if you keep the target queue enabled I would clear the target queue before doing anything in a combat macro (clear target queue comes before casting, all kill, ...etc)

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Careful with target queing, couple times my pet has tried to eat me because I accidentally hit the '1' and '2' at the same time. 1)is an open target gump reply to kill and 2)is a set gump reply to follow me.

A Stoned Figure

Grandmaster
Careful with target queing, couple times my pet has tried to eat me because I accidentally hit the '1' and '2' at the same time. 1)is an open target gump reply to kill and 2)is a set gump reply to follow me.
Why use the gump to issue commands?

if you didnt use the gump to issue the command "all guard me" you wouldnt have that issue, accidental que target selfs with harmful commands/spells can be prevented. Just have to use clear target que correctly and at the right times

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Why use the gump to issue commands?

if you didnt use the gump to issue the command "all guard me" you wouldnt have that issue, accidental que target selfs with harmful commands/spells can be prevented. Just have to use clear target que correctly and at the right times
I know, but I didn't want to see myself spam "all kill", "all guard me", or "all follow me". Also, it gives me the element of surprise if I want to try and get the drop on someone. If you see someone say "all kill' and there aren't any mobs on the screen, you're probably about to take a dragon to the face. Where as I can just walk by and drop my target cursor on you and give me a few seconds to put some distance between us.

A Stoned Figure

Grandmaster
Put a clear target cursor at the beginning of your "2" hotkey macro, this will help prevent it also. But can still target yourself if u hit both same time, best bet is to spread the two keys apart so you cant hit both same time :)

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Put a clear target cursor at the beginning of your "2" hotkey macro, this will help prevent it also. But can still target yourself if u hit both same time, best bet is to spread the two keys apart so you cant hit both same time :)
I was actually thinking of doing just that, 1 extra line at the beginning of the follow me macro could save me a lot of hassle. Just go to put in another 30 min before I can leave for the day.