thoughts on player experience

overflow

Apprentice
it's a 15-year-old game, but a lot of great practices have emerged in the software/gaming industry since this game first came out, e.g. they made facets due to the discovery that new player subscriptions were falling off sharply after the first 3 months. i've read some stuff you all are doing about measuring where the game economy is at, and that sounds like it has some potentially cool results.

the main hurdles i overcame as a new player were farming enough to get my first house, and then finding my way around the world using recall. after getting my first house, i was able to find a guild which really created a lot of great social experiences, but i also see a ceiling there since a lot of players prefer to engage in PVP/PKing. i'm also really interested in what segment of the player population are coming to UOF as hardcore gamers and what of them really are getting back into the game for the nostalgia factor.

i've seen the guides section. there are a few guides i was able to find online like THB treasure hunters guide, and then a Google Map implementation of the UO world. then there are the skill gain guides in various forums via Google Search, the uoguide.com wiki. i've considered just copying these resources over, but that's a bit time intensive for me at this moment.

interested to help out to get one of those metrics improved whether it's retention, logon frequency, player accounts that play past the 2nd month, at least 1 house per account, in a guild with at least 1 character, etc.

Dellan

Grandmaster
It might be old, but believe me... This game's playability, freedom and possibilities are out of this world. No new MMO has surpassed UO, and I doubt they ever will. I think of it as superior game with old graphics. What people really need is to know about UO (and this shard), big advertising. If you want to help, go spread the love, brother! :)