50 level 1 treasure maps

Would you do it?

• Yes, 50 lvl 1 t-maps sounds like a lot of fun!

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Hell no! Not worth the time!

Votes: 21 46.7%

• Total voters

wkstrm

Master
One day I was out looking for stuff to buy I came across this vendor selling 50 level 1 t-maps in a container. I guess the container was miss-priced because it was only 4000gp. So I figured I should give it a go!

50 level 1 treasure maps gave me the following:

81474 gold from the chests and the "awesome" spawn they bring. Included in this are also the random normal world spawn or leftovers from previous treasure hunters.

I also found the following reagents.

1237 Sulfurus Ash
1163 Black Pearl
714 Ginseng
974 Spider Silk
825 Blood Moss
874 Garlic
619 Nightshade
1110 Mandrake Root

Probably a bit more but I used a mage type of character and some of the regs might have been used at occasion.

I found 154 of various gems.
A lot of spellscrolls (63 of 64 available spells).
121 weapons and 145 armour pieces.
Plus 3 ID-wands that made identifying above weapons and armour free of charge for me.

Out of the 121 weapons I found 18 that held the power quality and one therathan slayer/might/durable/eminently accurate (skinning knife).
None of the weapons was really worth saving though since all was the kinds of weapons people hardly ever use. I decided to keep two long spears of force though for my dexxer and a silver/power warfork.
Selling all these weapons to NPC vendors, 118 since I kept 3, netted me 22887 gold coins.

Out of the 145 armour pieces from the chests 26 pieces was hardening and 17 pieces was invulnerability. Sadly enough most of the invul pieces was shields, but there was some nice leather pices and 3 perfect helmets. I'll keep them for the time being.
The hardening armour pieces was kind of the same story as above except for the best pieces were bone armour. Selling the armour I did not want to keep netted me 44548 gold coins.

Selling the gems (I know I break @Yoar's heart now) gave me 7382 gold coins.

What about those spell scrolls then? I dropped 63 into an empty spellbook. Only missing Summon Fire Elemental. Since there were a lot of staks I kept some of the scrolls since they are usefull, the rest I sold for a whooping 640 gold.

So, all in all, the chests gave 81474 and selling the items from the chests gave 91931 gold for a grand total of 173405.

I guess someone will tell me "cool story brah" and someone else will claim they do the same amount of money in 1 hours with their uber-133t level 7 meta dragon.
Well, I don't have a meta dragon and I'm not cool anymore. I'm a dad. I dress like a jerk and should probably spend more time with typical "dad things". ;)
All it cost me was about 200 of mandrake, black pearl, ash and blood moss and some spell scrolls plus the time it took to dig up, sort, ID, and sell the loot. All in all, about 2 hours for 3 evenings in a row.

Conclusion, 1 level 1 t-map is worth about 3468 gold coins!

Would I do it agian? Certainly, but I think I'll wait a while. ;)

I hope this can inspire some new player to do great deeds for themself!

Last edited:

wkstrm

Master
soo its about 6 hours for 170k ?

not soo bad for smt that can be done by a fresh created char.

good work i love it.

want to do 50 lvl 2 maps ?
pm me on discord Girana#2659

Thanks!
Yeah, I think it was pretty nice outcome of it. I think the only hard part for a new character to do it is to get the 50 maps, but it should not be that hard. I've seen them for like 500-1000 gold on vendors so buying the cheap ones should still pay off.

I guess a character with enough cartography to decode lvl 1 maps and then go for enough magery to unlock the chest and to kill of the spawn should be enough, pretty cheap to make to be honest. If you don't want to use magery to fight the spawn, pick up any melee skill and you're set. I had 1 ratman, 2 skeletons and a zombie pounding on my character (that had no wrestling) and only after I've emptied the chest totally they've dealt so much damage that my health was below 50%. And that was "extreme" spawn for a level 1 chest I think.

I'd do 50 level 2 maps! :)

I will do this challenge on 50 level 3 maps! I love the idea. Ill get started on it tonight :) I don't think I have 50 level 2s

Yes please do that, it would be interesting to see what the result will be!
I think level 3 maps is the one where you can solo it without being a tamer if you do it right. Right? :)

Zibzug

Neophyte
I've never dabbled with the t-maps before (actually left the OSI servers right when they were introduced) and reading this has given me encouragement and confirmed that even the "simple" stuff can be beneficial and fun.

Now to just find a big cache of cheap level 1's to begin working on...

wkstrm

Master
If a lot of people start doing this I forse how the price of t-maps might increase! :D

This was a good read.

Thanks Shane!

I've never dabbled with the t-maps before (actually left the OSI servers right when they were introduced) and reading this has given me encouragement and confirmed that even the "simple" stuff can be beneficial and fun.

I've played UO on and off for 20 years now. First time I ever dug up a t-map (that I can remember) was here on UOF back when the shard was young). It is quite fun and can be challening. I've always done things my own way, using not always the typical template for characters and such which makes things more interesting sometimes. :)

Treasure hunting is way more interesting than it might seem at a first glance! Good luck with the digging! :)

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I guess a character with enough cartography to decode lvl 1 maps and then go for enough magery to unlock the chest and to kill of the spawn should be enough, pretty cheap to make to be honest. If you don't want to use magery to fight the spawn, pick up any melee skill and you're set. I had 1 ratman, 2 skeletons and a zombie pounding on my character (that had no wrestling) and only after I've emptied the chest totally they've dealt so much damage that my health was below 50%. And that was "extreme" spawn for a level 1 chest I think.

I'd do 50 level 2 maps! :)

Yes please do that, it would be interesting to see what the result will be!
I think level 3 maps is the one where you can solo it without being a tamer if you do it right. Right? :)

Love this story - I could change your world with UO Steam, and some macros... You should be able to do 50 level 1 maps, in about 2 hours pretty easily with the right macros. I've often felt I could farm about 80-100k / hour on level 1 maps, which by your findings would be about right.. The interesting thing about treasure maps is that the gold / hour rate, stays roughly the same, just more risk as you get higher in the maps, though would love to see the write up for each.

Interesting Fact - level 1 maps don't require cartography, can use magery to open them, so any template can actually do them.

My Treasure Hunter is a Provoker / Mage, 115 Provo, 100 Music, Magery, Meditation, Resist, Lockpicking, Cartography - and I can solo up to level 5 maps comfortably, very little death on a level 5 map, on level 6's I've done them, but find far too much risk to make them worthwhile soloing. The template is very noob friendly, with the exception of the mage regs to start, personally I started as a mage, went out north of Brit, and killed Ogres, Trolls and Ettins, to level my magery, and buy more reagents.. Didn't get rich, but was self sustaining, and probably could have afforded 10 maps when done, which would get you some startup capital if you were to go that route.

For maps level 2+, you get 4 mobs spawning with them, so as a mage, I summon a Daemon, step back when they spawn so they aggro the Daemon, and provo them together, open the chest, and start pulling, provoing onto the mobs already there as I go.. sometimes have 5-10 mobs on the screen, can get crazy!

Reach out to me on Discord if you want some help streamlining the process on maps, to really make your gold / hour shine! AreYouKidden♂#0403

Decreamos

Grandmaster
So far I've knocked out 10 level 3s. Will be some interesting numbers!!!

Ive already kinda messed up...I've been selling the stuff as I go. However I've been keeping the gold all together. So I wont know exactly how much gold I only got from the chests. I'll know how much gold I get from doing 50 level 3 maps.

Decreamos

Grandmaster

I’ll give you all of my level 1s

Decreamos

Grandmaster
I think this could become a very informative source for all t-mappers. We can share results of a 50 map run for each level, the different scripts/macros we use, techniques, etc. Not to be conceited but I honestly feel like I have a very powerful setup which I plan to share. Can it be improved? Certainly! Do people do the same things I do? Probably. It's all about information sharing :) This is fun

wkstrm

Master
Love this story - I could change your world with UO Steam, and some macros... You should be able to do 50 level 1 maps, in about 2 hours pretty easily with the right macros. I've often felt I could farm about 80-100k / hour on level 1 maps, which by your findings would be about right.. The interesting thing about treasure maps is that the gold / hour rate, stays roughly the same, just more risk as you get higher in the maps, though would love to see the write up for each.

Interesting Fact - level 1 maps don't require cartography, can use magery to open them, so any template can actually do them.

My Treasure Hunter is a Provoker / Mage, 115 Provo, 100 Music, Magery, Meditation, Resist, Lockpicking, Cartography - and I can solo up to level 5 maps comfortably, very little death on a level 5 map, on level 6's I've done them, but find far too much risk to make them worthwhile soloing. The template is very noob friendly, with the exception of the mage regs to start, personally I started as a mage, went out north of Brit, and killed Ogres, Trolls and Ettins, to level my magery, and buy more reagents.. Didn't get rich, but was self sustaining, and probably could have afforded 10 maps when done, which would get you some startup capital if you were to go that route.

For maps level 2+, you get 4 mobs spawning with them, so as a mage, I summon a Daemon, step back when they spawn so they aggro the Daemon, and provo them together, open the chest, and start pulling, provoing onto the mobs already there as I go.. sometimes have 5-10 mobs on the screen, can get crazy!

Reach out to me on Discord if you want some help streamlining the process on maps, to really make your gold / hour shine! AreYouKidden♂#0403

Hey man! Thanks for the offer but I have to decline it! I like to play the game, not having macros playing it for me! ;)
I don't mind old fashioned "drag and dropping". I did this mostly because I think it would be interesting to see how things panned out. What is the real value of a level 1 t-map. And would it be possible to get rich doing lots and lots of them?

Yes, and if you use the right template you can do it solo instead as I did it with two chars (because I did put cartography on a BOD-runner).

I decided to write up how I do things, I've told enough people through chats, and stuff, will be so much easier to link..

https://www.uoforum.com/threads/treasure-hunting-with-efficiency.98441/

Would love your feedback Decreamos - we can compare notes.

Nice I could be an inspiration! :) That thread is also interesing in it's own way!
Question is, will the price of t-maps increase after this or not? :D

soo its about 6 hours for 170k ?

not soo bad for smt that can be done by a fresh created char.

good work i love it.

want to do 50 lvl 2 maps ?
pm me on discord Girana#2659

I did a test-run on one of the maps to see how it would work out with my current character setup. I found out I need to re-spec my chars a bit to better fit the challenge. I will start working on the 50 maps as soon as I'm done. Hopefully I will be able to do some during the weekend!

Zibzug

Neophyte
I’ll give you all of my level 1s
Wow, that's definitely awesome of you. I'm currently working on raising my cart and lockpicking on my T-Hunter, but I'm assuming those aren't needed at very high for level 1's correct?

Just let me know when and where to meet you :)

I decided to write up how I do things, I've told enough people through chats, and stuff, will be so much easier to link..

https://www.uoforum.com/threads/treasure-hunting-with-efficiency.98441/

Would love your feedback Decreamos - we can compare notes.

This was educational for me as well...definitely gives me further insight into how the T-Map system works overall.

Thanks for that write up.

parsnip

Grandmaster
Wow, that's definitely awesome of you. I'm currently working on raising my cart and lockpicking on my T-Hunter, but I'm assuming those aren't needed at very high for level 1's correct?

You can do Level 1 maps with zero Cartography. If you have GM Magery you can unlock the chest without the need for Lockpicking using the Unlock spell.

Any higher than Level 1 you will need some Cartography and Lockpicking: https://www.uoforum.com/wiki/index.php/Treasure_Map

On OSI it used to be possible to unlock Level 2 chests with GM Magery but that doesn’t seem to work here!

wkstrm

Master
You can do Level 1 maps with zero Cartography. If you have GM Magery you can unlock the chest without the need for Lockpicking using the Unlock spell.

Any higher than Level 1 you will need some Cartography and Lockpicking: https://www.uoforum.com/wiki/index.php/Treasure_Map

On OSI it used to be possible to unlock Level 2 chests with GM Magery but that doesn’t seem to work here!

I could not unlock level 1 chests with 55 magery, but my char with about 80 could.

Decreamos

Grandmaster

Just let me know when and where to meet you :)

This was educational for me as well...definitely gives me further insight into how the T-Map system works overall.

Thanks for that write up.

do you have discord? I'm WIz on discord