Armor Changes Suggestion for Stealth

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
Ug der,

It would be pretty sweet if players with GM hide and stealth could use more armor than is currently allowed without risk of being revealed. I think currently it is like 9 or 10 armor which allows a couple pieces of store bought non gm gear. My proposition would be increase that figure to 25. Now that it seems every dexer out there runs in plate mail it would help with some of the fights. Personally I would love to see it include leather armor up to ring mail but would be happy to even see it just like how EA (any medable leathers) allows.
Would give a boost to crafters vendors for lower end armors, maybe help new players out that collect leathers for start up gold and allow players a little versatility with their gear (as well as just a bit more armor protection) I know you can create macros to gear up and remove gear. But sometimes tactics don't allow you the luxury of time to accomplish that.

Rulg!

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
@eppy

Any chance someone can take a look at this as a possible change? Not sure why it had such limitations here as compared to EA/OSI versions of UO. Doesn't really effect us much when we are making our rounds collecting heads for the fort. But we have been having some fun pitched fights with various guilds and a bit more armor protection would be nice.

StegcO

Grandmaster
Stealthers needs a malus, 25 is the ar used by every mage. Max 10 ar i think its perfect

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
Stealthers needs a malus, 25 is the ar used by every mage. Max 10 ar i think its perfect

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

The penalty for a stealth template is at least 200 points tied up in skills to use without any influence on damage output. These 200 invested points are also easily countered by a template with only 100 points in tracking. Even EA allows any combo of med armor without a chance to fail at stealth. Can't see why this shard would be different. I may be wrong, but I have been on UOF since day 1 and haven't seen any exploit or real issue in regards to stealth. Maybe a staff member could shed light better?

Messremb

Grandmaster
The penalty for a stealth template is at least 200 points tied up in skills to use without any influence on damage output. These 200 invested points are also easily countered by a template with only 100 points in tracking. Even EA allows any combo of med armor without a chance to fail at stealth. Can't see why this shard would be different. I may be wrong, but I have been on UOF since day 1 and haven't seen any exploit or real issue in regards to stealth. Maybe a staff member could shed light better?
Sorry you lost me when you tried the "200 points countered by 100 points" argument.

Stealth is beyond broken on this shard and gives too much utility as it is. Killing someone 1v1 when they have stealth is pretty much impossible. If you let them wear armor too you just make the situation worse.

I get that from your perspective it is a good idea but you need to look at it from a balancing point of view.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
Sorry you lost me when you tried the "200 points countered by 100 points" argument.

Stealth is beyond broken on this shard and gives too much utility as it is. Killing someone 1v1 when they have stealth is pretty much impossible. If you let them wear armor too you just make the situation worse.

I get that from your perspective it is a good idea but you need to look at it from a balancing point of view.

I have no idea why you would consider it broken. How is it different then every other shard? You don't think that tracking negates hide/stealth? I run tracking on most of my orcs and man I can find people 10+ screens away (hidden or not) and it is pretty easy to track down other stealth characters and kill them (with the right klomp that is HAR!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sven Eriksson

Apprentice
IT is definitely not easy to solo kill with stealth, you get caught, you are on foot and if you want to mount up you are a sitting duck. the element of surprise can be great but a gm stealther has you and you are screwed. I think it is still realistic that a stealther has a little bit more armor, we aren't asking for plate, just being able to wear full NPC leather would be nice.

I agree, I feel like stealth can be a big handicap, especially considering I use it simply to RP as a ranger type char. I cant even wear a full set of ranger amour for RP and still stealth.

Messremb

Grandmaster
I have no idea why you would consider it broken. How is it different then every other shard? You don't think that tracking negates hide/stealth? I run tracking on most of my orcs and man I can find people 10+ screens away (hidden or not) and it is pretty easy to track down other stealth characters and kill them (with the right klomp that is HAR!)
It doesn't negate it any more than magic resist negates magery.

And stealth has no cool down. In this Era you had to hide, wait 10 seconds, activate stealth, walk 10 steps (at gm), reactivate stealth. This gave people a chance to counter you. Without all that it is very hard to catch a competent stealther.

I use my stealthers for champ spawns and I only ever die to multiple people (usually one with tracking) cause it is so easy to stay alive on a stealther.

I also have pked with a stealther, both solo and grouped. Solo is all about waiting for that right moment. If you want to just be able to kill people 1v1 any time it's the wrong build. In groups it is too easy, 3+ archers and you drop people before they can even react.

zorgulg

Journeyman
I agree that 10 is ridiculously low. I think that instead of setting the stealth check to AR it should be changed to med-able armor with maybe a max of 10AR on non med-able. being able to stealth in anything you can meditate in seems like the way it was back in the osi days. Sure it might empower some stealthers but it would be done in a risk reward scenario where the stealther would be at a greater risk to lose something of value if they decide to max out their AR with magic armor. As it now the best you can hope fore is maybe a gm tunic and some gloves or npc armor when you kill a stealther.

"Stealth is beyond broken on this shard and gives too much utility as it is. Killing someone 1v1 when they have stealth is pretty much impossible. If you let them wear armor too you just make the situation worse. "- Messremb

wut?

I've seen 4-5 stealthers get taken out by 2 mounted pvp template characters on several occasions. As it is, it's prettyf unbalanced against the stealthers favor honestly. First you're on foot and then your armor rating is practically non existent when fighting as well? I think to bring balance it should be switched to where you can stealth inany med-able armor or better yet, how about introducing bolas or possibly another way to dismount folks. That might work as some what of an equalizer to the exceptionally low AR but to non stealthers I'd guess the slight increase in folks armor rating would go a lot less noticed,.

Zog'orium

Grandmaster

And stealth has no cool down. In this Era you had to hide, wait 10 seconds, activate stealth, walk 10 steps (at gm), reactivate stealth. This gave people a chance to counter you. Without all that it is very hard to catch a competent stealther.

I use my stealthers for champ spawns and I only ever die to multiple people (usually one with tracking) cause it is so easy to stay alive on a stealther.

I also have pked with a stealther, both solo and grouped. Solo is all about waiting for that right moment. If you want to just be able to kill people 1v1 any time it's the wrong build. In groups it is too easy, 3+ archers and you drop people before they can even react.

Hey man..no disrespect. But your magery to resist is a fair balance. One GM skill to counter one GM Skill. Always liked your opinions and in dealing with you on my non orc chars. But UOF to me isn't strict era accurate. Every template has added perks and bonuses I think. Meta pets, meta dexers, armoured swamp dragons, runic weps and armor, power scrolls and ethies. If we hit a single target two things can happen. One he dead WOOT! The second is they go "holy shit' and high tail it out without us able to chase on foot. Alas, the life of a orc.
We want to be able to take part in more lengthier battles. This doesn't change our tactics vs mages. However, until the meta dexer talisman came out no one really ran plate mail. Now it seems almost all dexers do. We just want to see a small fraction of balance vs that change that happened. I also think era accurate stealth always allowed medable armor for dexers HAR!

Bakataumana

Neophyte
So just curious if any thought was ever considered in this? i was gonna put up my own post about medable armor and stealth but found this archaic thing instead.

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
Seems like a good idea, especially considering since the armor nerf, armor is basically useless anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster

You're right, "Stealth" has no cooldown; you can auto-stealth off into infinity as long as your stealth doesn't break.

However in order -to- stealth you need to be hidden (a 10 sec cooldown) or invis (cast time) but if you are 'hidden' via the spell you are still on a timer of the invis spell; not so OP. Especially considering 'Reveal' breaks your stealth whether you're hidden via magic or not. 40 points of magic + a scroll negate 200 points of investment.

Channel 34

Apprentice
Seems to me that the bump is going to be mainly advantageous to stealth mages. A category which is, IMO, way too powerful in spades. But the Staff will be able to see the benefit of it or not and act appropriately as they have done in soooo many areas to date.

Channel 34

Apprentice
That's what I do on my stealthers, but I don't think that was what they were trying to do with the suggestion as posted. Could be that I read it wrong though. Same with horses/ethys, just mounting an ethy doesn't reveal you. Likewise the armor going on won't reveal you until it does stealth check and you fail it