1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August 2017 Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Patch Notes Archive' started by Shane, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Genocide Pete

Genocide Pete Adept

May 23, 2013
    Biased idiot has shared his thoughts. Thanks.

2. toddyboi

toddyboi Master

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Coming from a dude that has played a dexer his whole uo career

3. girana

girana Grandmaster

Jul 9, 2014

PvP balanced around the top 5-10 players is the main reason pvp is nearly dead.

a game like UO cant belance around topplayers not in pvp or pvm or crafting.
    If you balance it around elite players it gone die.

4. toddyboi

toddyboi Master

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    You think UOF pvp is balanced right now? Have you fought a stocked up Ljer or poison alchy dexer 1v1 on a mage? Katanas that do 20+ damage against 30ish armor, 8 second bandies, increased lj damage with an armor nerf in the same patch last year. Please tell me how uof pvp is balanced.

Elite players didn't kill pvp here, EQMS scared alot of people off then staff banned eqms leaders which resulted in 1/2 of the pvp population moving on to another game.

5. Genocide Pete

Genocide Pete Adept

May 23, 2013
    The game doesn't need to be balanced around 1v1s.

6. TyroneG

TyroneG Master

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    The game doesn't need to be balanced around 1v1s, but I don't think dexxers are any less overpowered in group situations... The only time where they aren't really much of a factor is when there are enough people on the field to rail spells. At that point I think anyone would agree PVP is lame anyways. Also, now that EQMS is gone, how often does this happen?

I think the only reason dexxers aren't considered OP by the entire playerbase is because too few actually decent pvpers play them on a regular basis. I'll take Marley's dexxer on my team all day, and in most cases would prefer him on that over his mage just because of the insane damage he puts out.

Bandages need slowed down badly. To the players crying about how this would ruin PVM - You can go about slowing bandages while also keeping PVM intact.

My suggestion - 2 second increase on bandage timer. Remove the added time penalty for being poisoned (I believe an additional 2 seconds?). With bandage slips make the heal penalty less (more health healed on many bandage slips).

Depending on the actual changes, this could make it so that in most cases dexxing PVMers actually benefit more from the changes than anything.

Shahzdamn likes this.
  7. Bloo

Bloo Adept

Jul 18, 2017
    Blooski
    DuckTruck
    Flapdooodle
    iTank
    Whats markey's template?

8. TyroneG

TyroneG Master

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    fencing or macing
    alchemy
    tactics
    magery
    resist
    healing
    anatomy

not sure on stats, but I'd guess around
    100 str
    35 int
    90 dex

9. girana

girana Grandmaster

Jul 9, 2014
    2sec longer bandages makes alot pvm stuff just impossible

if the top 5 pvp really need it make it militia/fac only and let them play alone with it.

10. jkg8787

jkg8787 Master

Apr 5, 2014
    Agreed balancing around 1v1s is a fools errand and naturally some templates will do better than others.

Just had a really random thought:

The parry mage. Allow casting spells while holding a shield (maybe only with 100 skill so that it's not abusable to just carry a shield always even if you have zero skill). This would be an option for Mages who are having trouble with Dexers with nice magic/runics.

The trade-off is obviously having to invest 100 skill points in a skill that might not always be applicable (i.e. mage vs mage).

This creates more diverse builds without having to adjust timers, damage tables, swing speeds etc etc etc.

Thoughts?

halv likes this.
  11. TyroneG

TyroneG Master

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    Name a situation in which 2 second longer bandages makes PVM impossible given the changes I suggested. If anything in 99% of situations PVMers would be in a better spot. How often do you get poisoned while PVMing? Negating the time penalty for being poisoned alone would make up for those extra 2 seconds.

Even ignoring that, how many times does your bandages slip so many times that your bandage only heals for a small percentage of health? Under my proposed system you could heal for much more.

You act as if any nerf to the time it takes bandages to apply is going to ruin PVM, when I am suggesting changes to BENEFIT PVMers. There's many ways it could go about being changed to slow bandages down, while also keeping dexxers viable (or even more viable) in PVM.

Shahzdamn likes this.
  12. TyroneG

TyroneG Master

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG

Dexxers aren't just strong in 1v1 though.. They are just as good in 99% of group PVP situations. Maybe you could make the case for this back in EQMS days when it was nothing but zerging. I can assure you a good dexxer is an asset, not a liability, in any group fights happening today.

The reason they aren't seen as much of a problem now is because there truly isn't very many good dexxers that field very often. You have people who don't know wtf they are doing. I can guarantee you if players like Grainger, Marley, or Geno Pete were constantly PVPing on their dexxers everyone would have a whole different outlook.

13. jkg8787

jkg8787 Master

Apr 5, 2014
    I dont think that this is wrong just highly situational (as all things are)

To me assuming players of equal skill I'd give an edge to a group of mages over a group of dexers. But thats purely hypothetical and again hard to judge due to so many various factors involved.

But strictly speaking Dexers in the middle of a battle cannot x-heal an ally (yeah they can with wands I suppose, but again situational as it only applies to factions)

14. TyroneG

TyroneG Master

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    When on a dexxer, if anything your crossheals should be better. You are able to hold a gheal while still outputting damage. Also you are more aware of things given that you don't have as many things to worry about.

If you are talking about a dexxer without magery I'm not sure what to tell you. Any competent PVPer (aside from maybe a lumberjacker?) will have magery.

Shahzdamn likes this.
  15. jkg8787

jkg8787 Master

Apr 5, 2014
    That's factions only though. Which if you want to start making balance changes that only effect factions I dont really have an input there as thats not my thing. Factions is heavily group based and I'm naturally a solo player so tend to stay out of it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, more just saying thats ONE scenario and when you make changes to bandage time/swing time/damage table/stun times or whatever that effects all PvP not just factions.

We could go back and forth. I could say "well what if one of the mages gets a stun off and they get a synch dump on the dexer" then you'd say "oh well this is factions so they would G heal wand" or "oh well we're talking about super elite dexers so the rest of the ones that aren't stunned would use their weapons to interrupt the guys doing the synch dumps or blah blah"

It's highly situational again.

I'm a natural devil's advocate though and love to just suggest contrarian viewpoints for the hell of it though,

16. jkg8787

jkg8787 Master

Apr 5, 2014
    or if theyre non factioners but dexers with magery, yes they can still cast Heals but they have generally a mana pool of 25 and so will be OOM for about 60s if mages can force them to do 2 GHeals

17. TyroneG

TyroneG Master

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    I don't get what any of this has to do with factions? I'm not talking about wands.

I'm not a fan of faction (or militia) only changes.

I am saying that bandage timer is too short. Whether it be in a solo 1v1 fight or a 5v5 fight - the bandage timer, IMO, is way too fast.

Pleople saying that dexxers are only strong 1v1 and aren't good at group fights are just demonstrably wrong. I can record some videos if you would like if I can convince my group to log on and play dexxers.

18. jkg8787

jkg8787 Master

Apr 5, 2014
    You literally just used wands as a counter example to my point...

So 5 mages all with Flamestrike pre-casted are going to be out DPSed by Dexers?

Im not even saying Dexers are bad. Just that I believe Mages have a more versatile toolkit available to them and dexer play is generally 1 dimensional

19. girana

girana Grandmaster

Jul 9, 2014
    all high end bosses dont poison so how your change would benefit there its just about fast bandages or die.

why ? thats the only reasonable way to balance elite pvpers and causal players.

20. Genocide Pete

Genocide Pete Adept

May 23, 2013
    The thing about dexxer damage is that it's extremely easy to cross heal. I think you're overstating how useful they are in group fights.

jkg8787 likes this.