Should AFK Script Stealing Be Banned?

• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

SidX

Grandmaster
I think it's time to put an end to AFK script stealing. I understand some people who thieve use scripts to do so... that's fine... this is just about AFK script stealing. I haven't fallen victim to it myself, but as a thief who sees other thieves using this technique, it's both a disgrace to the thief class and a disgrace to the server.

Here's what it looks like is happening for those unfamiliar:

Certain thieves here, from the looks of it, are using AFK script stealing techniques at Britain Bank by the bank doors. The thief, usually hiding, is running a script. The script runs on a loop constantly auto-searching the packs of anyone who runs by for specific ItemIDs. For example, a power scroll or Taming SS. Once a desired item is found in a passerby's pack, the script attempts to steal it. Upon success, the script has the thief walk one tile north to the inside of Britain Bank, say "bank", and banks the item. This all happens in about 0.01 seconds and happens automatically, completely controlled by the script, while the thief is AFK. The script could even trigger an alert in the client that lets the thief's IRL player know of a steal. If advanced, the script could literally return the thief to his main position and repeat this process for days, weeks, etc. until the thief is killed.

This falls directly along the lines of AFK resource gathering. I'm not opposed to script stealing. It's a broad phrase and pretty much every single class here uses scripts to accomplish something. The issue is having this done automatically, while AFK, with zero actual gameplay involved to achieve the steal.

Really not sure how this is not bannable or punishable by other means. Can this be addressed?

cups

Grandmaster
Agree 100%. Stealing is so powerful with UO Steam. Scripting makes stealing MUCH more powerful than the skill was ever intended to be 20 years ago when the thief character was being designed.

halygon

Grandmaster
We do and have in the past banned for this. Nothing new. If you suspect this is occuring, page a GM.