Brit Hammer and Anvil Crafting Area Needs Some Love

So I have a crafter I am working as I hardly see anyone at the Hammer and Anvil craft zone. I was thinking why don't people hang out here all the time like in the old days? Yes, you get bonuses for crafting there and I sometimes see people there, but not with any frequency. Since I see lots of people hiding off an on, I have to wonder what is making people not want to stay there or socialize.

One thing I find partially annoying is all the thieves just standing around. What if we could make this zone hiding free or stealing free. I would have to imagine the most prestigious place to craft in the entire UO world would have hired some security to keep out the riff raff.

Maybe even make it a gold sink for crafters so they can hang around and not have to worry about getting their hard earned crafts stolen. Have a vendor there called Rocko the Security Guard. You pay him xxx gp per hour (like a meter) so he wanders around booting out the riff raff. You don't pay him the thieves can wander freely like before.

Another side thought is maybe we could allow player vendors there for dono coins instead of GP. Would obviously be highly valuable space, maybe tie it into the crafting area somehow. People who spend the most time there are eligible to bid on a spot or something.

tader

Expert
You use less material and have a chance as slayer creation. There is already plenty of reward for crafting here. The risk is it is a theif hangout as it should be with those rewards.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
I think he is missing the social aspect of UO that seems to be missing here. I also miss the days of 3 or 4 GM smiths lined up, chatting away, offering free repairs, giving advice, trading BODs, and occasionally selling a suit of armor (or heaven forbid, giving away a set a armor to a newbie). I also miss these days, but the thieves make it all but impossible to "conduct business" there now.

tader

Expert
I think he is missing the social aspect of UO that seems to be missing here. I also miss the days of 3 or 4 GM smiths lined up, chatting away, offering free repairs, giving advice, trading BODs, and occasionally selling a suit of armor (or heaven forbid, giving away a set a armor to a newbie). I also miss these days, but the thieves make it all but impossible to "conduct business" there now.
What stopped the thieves in the past?

Faytality

Staff member
There's plenty of measures crafters can take to avoid thieves. If your crafter is a GM tinker then you can put all your supplies in a box and trap it. I once made a dick shape with coins inside a box, a couple thieves popped up and said since it made them laugh now they won't bug me anymore.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
Considering how much worthless crap you smiths and crafters produce, I find it laughable you're worried about thieves. Much of what you guys do is too heavy to steal even if I wanted to steal it. I do enjoy going there with my thief and revealing hidden and watching all the pansy smiths recall out because they're afraid someone's going to steal their exceptional short spear worth 6gp.

There's also an abundance on NPC's there that insta-call guards down on you if you go grey so even insta-hide after a steal is only possible with a perfect steal. Then you have a group of people who hang out there simply for the satisfaction of 1 swinging my poor little man with no armor to death, I'd say there's plenty dis-incentive for a thief.

They already have the Virture/Chaos guys around WBB autorevealing and yelling "THERE'S A THIEF IN OUR MIDST", may as well just take hiding out all together... and rather than stealing, we should only be able to put thing in people's pockets. We should redo poisoning while we're at it so it actually blesses the target if they're blue, because blue people shouldn't get poisoned, it's not fair. And if I may add, magic here is way too dark. Can we have some happy spells where unicorns crap rainbows across the sky?

Leviathan

Master
A lot of people use the blue beetles to store the stuff they want secured while they are working. Things cannot be stolen from it while you are mounted.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
thieves only hang out there because of the bod rewards...

Take out the resource bonus and im sure it wouldn't be much of a thieves hangout anymore. I miss the crowd that would gather around there too, but not as much population as osi + the safe zone docks, you probably wont ever find a crowd there.

unless.....they make a crafters event there..hmm....

Tearloch

Grandmaster
thieves only hang out there because of the bod rewards...

Take out the resource bonus and im sure it wouldn't be much of a thieves hangout anymore. I miss the crowd that would gather around there too, but not as much population as osi + the safe zone docks, you probably wont ever find a crowd there.

unless.....they make a crafters event there..hmm....
How about adding a small crafting area at the docks. No bonuses. No reduced mats. Have to allow crafting skills there.

TooLong

Master
So I have a crafter I am working as I hardly see anyone at the Hammer and Anvil craft zone. I was thinking why don't people hang out here all the time like in the old days? Yes, you get bonuses for crafting there and I sometimes see people there, but not with any frequency. Since I see lots of people hiding off an on, I have to wonder what is making people not want to stay there or socialize.

One thing I find partially annoying is all the thieves just standing around. What if we could make this zone hiding free or stealing free. I would have to imagine the most prestigious place to craft in the entire UO world would have hired some security to keep out the riff raff.

Maybe even make it a gold sink for crafters so they can hang around and not have to worry about getting their hard earned crafts stolen. Have a vendor there called Rocko the Security Guard. You pay him xxx gp per hour (like a meter) so he wanders around booting out the riff raff. You don't pay him the thieves can wander freely like before.

Another side thought is maybe we could allow player vendors there for dono coins instead of GP. Would obviously be highly valuable space, maybe tie it into the crafting area somehow. People who spend the most time there are eligible to bid on a spot or something.
As someone who truly enjoys playing his thief, I endorse the Rocko Body guard idea.

It still leaves some element of risk, but also some protection for those to pony up.

10/10 great idea.

It would need to be a good amount though. A super slayer fetches 10-20k. With enough materials you can pump out 15-20 slayers an hour.

30k per hour of protection seems fitting.

I agree, I just wish there was an easy way to bring back the social aspect of the crafting area without nerfing the theives. I think the scripting portion is what is making it so much different than back in the day. I assume they didn't have these fancy clients as much back then so stealing was more an art than it is today.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
I agree, I just wish there was an easy way to bring back the social aspect of the crafting area without nerfing the theives. I think the scripting portion is what is making it so much different than back in the day. I assume they didn't have these fancy clients as much back then so stealing was more an art than it is today.
I was thinking the same thing earlier today. I have no problem get ganked by a skilled thief. I do hate some of these scripts that allow them to auto target items, which are not even visible within my pack.
I also think the "insta-hide and stealth" is partly responsible for what feels like increased thievery compared to "back in the day", but that is a completely different topic.

wil3ur

Grandmaster
I was thinking the same thing earlier today. I have no problem get ganked by a skilled thief. I do hate some of these scripts that allow them to auto target items, which are not even visible within my pack.
I also think the "insta-hide and stealth" is partly responsible for what feels like increased thievery compared to "back in the day", but that is a completely different topic.

Insta-hide and stealth is a misconception. You have to wait 10 seconds between when you select your "Steal" skill and using the "Hide" skill. Furthermore, if you don't do a perfect steal, you cannot hide right away either.

So really in order to "Insta-Hide" it takes patience, skill, and the perfect steal. Nothing quick or easy about it.