Buying/selling dexer talismans

lollo

Grandmaster
I know this has been proposed in the past, but honestly, why not?

All meta pets can be transfered, it should be possible to transfer talismans too.

Look at it like dono coins @Shane : people with money but no time to play buy dono and then sell it to people who maybe have a lot of time to play but no full time work.

This could open up a market for people to train talismans (Like it happens with meta pets) and it wouldn’t impact the price of relics too much (Pet relics are worth millions anyways)

Some people have literally ammassed tons and tons of gold/rares but don’t have time to spend levelling up a dexer tali and all the relics, but would still like to play one to revive their interest in UOF.
If I wanted another tamer i could just buy 50 taming SS and a pre trained meta, why can’t I but a full zerker tali? Is there even a reason for this? At the same time, someone might be tired of their talisman and want to try a tamer?

Please elaborate.

@eppy @halygon @JoeB

Silex

Apprentice
we might have a relic xp charger that you can charge it and sell it, then the buyer just put the xp of the relic charger to his relic or something like that.

halygon

Grandmaster
I know this has been proposed in the past, but honestly, why not?

All meta pets can be transfered, it should be possible to transfer talismans too.

Look at it like dono coins @Shane : people with money but no time to play buy dono and then sell it to people who maybe have a lot of time to play but no full time work.

This could open up a market for people to train talismans (Like it happens with meta pets) and it wouldn’t impact the price of relics too much (Pet relics are worth millions anyways)

Some people have literally ammassed tons and tons of gold/rares but don’t have time to spend levelling up a dexer tali and all the relics, but would still like to play one to revive their interest in UOF.
If I wanted another tamer i could just buy 50 taming SS and a pre trained meta, why can’t I but a full zerker tali? Is there even a reason for this? At the same time, someone might be tired of their talisman and want to try a tamer?

Please elaborate.

@eppy @halygon @JoeB
Sure, but we would then have to make the talisman's lootable because unlike meta's, you currently cannot lose a talisman -- so the risk is much much less. I am not sure that would work though -- who would use a talisman if you could lose it?

While we are open for suggestions and ideas, we are pretty happy with Talisman's being bound to individual characters.

lollo

Grandmaster
Sure, but we would then have to make the talisman's lootable because unlike meta's, you currently cannot lose a talisman -- so the risk is much much less. I am not sure that would work though -- who would use a talisman if you could lose it?

While we are open for suggestions and ideas, we are pretty happy with Talisman's being bound to individual characters.

Hmnnnn how about the idea proposed by @Silex

Or put something on the gold sink vendor to just buy XP lol.
Or a gold sink insurance to make the Tali non lootable

halygon

Grandmaster
Hmnnnn how about the idea proposed by @Silex

Or put something on the gold sink vendor to just buy XP lol.
Or a gold sink insurance to make the Tali non lootable
We don't really want these to be an economy item. You already have it with the relics. Talismans are really an individual goal for any character. Its not fast or easy to maxx out (except for you few power gamers out there). There is a lot more value to something that is not easy and while we cannot do it with everything (or no one would play UOF), we can do it with a few strategic items such as talismans.

Universally, I think insurance is widely seen as a bad thing. I agree, I like the risk that UO brought on during this era.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I think the real solution here are perks because they motivate players to get out and earn more loot as they play instead of just buying their XP straight up.

I don't know if perk drop rates are where they should be. That's kind of a separate discussion. Perk values are a little whacky because of the high demand for pet and pet relic xp and tali's obviously. Should xp and relic perk drop rates be weighted heavier to reflect demand or should the other perks be tweaked to make them more desirable?

lapj

Journeyman
I would love to transfer my tali from one character to another, mainly because I hate the name of my tali character(its a dumb name). wanting to join a RP guild without having to grind another tali.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Transfering talismen from one player to another devalues it.
The entire point of talismen is to make you pick a path and stick with it. This is actually a key value that made UO such a historical game even today. When you make it so talismen can be sold, transfered etc you drastically, instantly and totally devalue that item.

How we have it is for a good reason, and yes we could make some sort of donation coin value/money maker out of it but it's more important having a valuable item that you put a lot of time into and take pride in, instead of something that you just bought from another player.

Chediak

Adept
I'm the opposite sort of player from a bored banksitter who wants to revitalize his interest in UOF. I play for an hour or two every day, and the things I'm most proud of are (1) my involvement with the Knights of [Sir], and (2) the work I've personally put into leveling my talismans. I have two talisman characters - so far they're both only at level 3 which may not seem like much, but to me they represent many, many hours of fun that I've had playing on this server.

To a player like me, the talisman is one of very few representations of the player's personal investment of time and effort, rather than gold gathered or money donated. What @Shane said above definitely resonated with me.

lollo

Grandmaster
I'm the opposite sort of player from a bored banksitter who wants to revitalize his interest in UOF. I play for an hour or two every day, and the things I'm most proud of are (1) my involvement with the Knights of [Sir], and (2) the work I've personally put into leveling my talismans. I have two talisman characters - so far they're both only at level 3 which may not seem like much, but to me they represent many, many hours of fun that I've had playing on this server.

To a player like me, the talisman is one of very few representations of the player's personal investment of time and effort, rather than gold gathered or money donated. What @Shane said above definitely resonated with me.

Not all players are alike, i levelled my meta dragon and all the relics, why is it devalued by the fact that it can be bought/sold? @Shane

It takes just as many hours going from egg to lvl 7 with all relics at lvl 10, in fact it's harder to macro (lots of people macroed their deer relics afk)

this just doesn't make any sense to me.

Xiulan

Master

Yeah, same. So many people just buy maxed-out pets and can lay waste to everything with zero effort... talis are the one thing you really have to work to accomplish yourself and I like it that way.

But it might be nice if you could transfer your tali to another of your own characters one time (maybe with staff assistance) if you wanted to join an RP guild with name requirements like lapj was talking about.

Young Star

Grandmaster
The entire point of talismen is to make you pick a path and stick with it. This is actually a key value that made UO such a historical game even today. When you make it so talismen can be sold, transfered etc you drastically, instantly and totally devalue that item.

How we have it is for a good reason, and yes we could make some sort of donation coin value/money maker out of it but it's more important having a valuable item that you put a lot of time into and take pride in, instead of something that you just bought from another player.
I dont disagree about the talismans neing devalued if able to be sold freely. I do however disagree about "pick a path" is what makes UO the game it is. Its actually the opposite. You dont have to pick a path for your characters. You are free to customize them within the skill cap and if you want to modify your character you can. So many other games you are prettymuch forced from the neginning to pick what your character is going to be and you cant switch it.

Talismans in a way force you to stick to a smaller set of templates or you waste all the investment. Also when it comes to diversifying across a players 3 accounts it would be nice if you could do a cross account player transfer for a donation or big gold sink. I am not the only one that wishes their zerker and tamer werent on the same account but are too far invested in both to start one of them over.

kolbycrouch

Master

But pets can be transferred. Exactly how is that different?

Very few people have talismans max'd out for this reason.

It's just too much grind for some people.

Do you really expect them to make an account, grind characters up, get enough gold for 30 vanqs, and THEN start a character progression from scratch?

Taming also suffers the same problem, but at least someone can donate and buy a half trained meta.

And about them being non-lootable. Aren't they just blessed? I don't see the problem there either.

Xiulan

Master
Do you really expect them to make an account, grind characters up, get enough gold for 30 vanqs, and THEN start a character progression from scratch?

You know that's exactly how everyone who has one got it, right?

They aren't just blessed by the way, they're character bound.

parsnip

Grandmaster
I like that they can't be sold but it would be nice if they were account bound rather than character bound, perhaps with a limit on the frequency of transfer (e.g. 5 days like meta stone).

Janesworld

Apprentice
I heard someone tried to ransom someone's.

That sounds pretty shitty who would do such a thing?

I thought all this toxic behavior left with EQMS. I guess I was wrong, I think it was a guy from discord with ????? And 123 just a fair warning.