CTF: Picking up the flag change

Jeff

Apprentice
As it stands, picking up the flag after someone drops it is completely randomized on who gets it. I've been told it works like scavenger and all you have to do is move around to pick up the flag (standing still next to it or even directly on top of it means you won't get it.) If picking up the flag is much like how scavenger works then there's a good chance that whoever has the best ping rate will be the one to pick it up. So, for 4 seconds you have a cluster of members from each team just run up to a flag and wait for the 4 second timer to end to get the flag based on RNG or Ping.

Can we change it to whoever is in proximity of the flag for the longest? or whoever stands directly on top of it for the longest. or even the player with the most damage done (or killing blow) to previous flag holder should have priority if he is within range.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
it's all timing really,
when running onto it it will give you the time remaining before it can be picked up
so all you need to do is be the person moving at exactly the right time.
I've picked up stray flags plenty of times and i can assure you my ping is not the best

In my opinion the timer should be removed anyways. It was added obviously to help the defending team get to it, incase they were able to kill the player holding it and are not the first to get there. (4 seconds = probably 10-15 tiles at run speed???)

the timer acts as a handicap for bad players; the first player to get to a dropped flag should get it.
There's no justifiable reason for it not being first come first serve.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Say for example that i am on the blue team. I am running into red's base and notice a green player has stolen reds flag.

Red is way behind him, probably unable to kill him. If I kill the green capper and he drops reds flag, red will definitely be able then to get to the flag before 4 seconds are up.

So my choice becomes to run either into another base, or run into reds base and wait for the green player to capture the flag, or possibly be killed by someone else.

It's just silly

And with OPs suggested ''top damager'' or ''killshot'' is basically the same unfairness

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryce

Adept
We added the timer because people, upon first release, were dropping the flag, and picking it back up over and over while turtling in their base amassing "assists".

Jeff

Apprentice
The only reason you've picked up stray flags in the past is because the majority of people are clueless to how picking it up works and thats why its a handicap for bad new players. Implying people have bad timing when most of them think that just sitting still on top of the flag is silly, they don't know the ambiguous rules that are in place.

Let's say Person A is given some priority at the end of a timer for doing 100% of the damage and/or killing blow and/or the first/closest to the flag when it drops.
Versus
Person B, C, D, (8+people) running by from 15+ tiles away in a cluster-fuck and picking up the flag in a way that is completely based on that ping rate of the time or the transition from one square to another at that exact moment or another method which makes it very RNG. Hoping to pick up the flag in some sort of lottery.

I don't see how it's tragically unfair for person A to be given any higher chance at getting the flag over a gang of headless chickens who surround and pound the ground near the flag.

The timer can stay, just priorities are being suggested. Even person A can stand on the flag for those 4 seconds, but he's a target because people know hes gonna pick up the flag first, as it should be in all CTFs. Not 8 people with teleport loaded ready to jet in several different directions when they grab the flag making it highly improbable that he will be targeted and dealt with.

Bryce

Adept
Basically, how it works is this:
You have sooooooooooo many people opting to defend, or just hang out in mid blasting spells at eachother.
If those people were running along with their flag captors, healing, dispelling etc, it would be far less of an issue.
But WAY more often than not, it's people running in solo, and back out with not near the assistance they could potentially get.

It's up to players to strategize to keep their carriers alive.

Do remember, you can talk to your specific team by @t to coordinate.

THEREGOESBILL

Apprentice
i think all players should have the same equipment, its not fair players can bring there best weapons to fight in CTF. I dont think it's fair to all the new players

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Basically, how it works is this:
You have sooooooooooo many people opting to defend, or just hang out in mid blasting spells at eachother.
If those people were running along with their flag captors, healing, dispelling etc, it would be far less of an issue.
But WAY more often than not, it's people running in solo, and back out with not near the assistance they could potentially get.

It's up to players to strategize to keep their carriers alive.

Do remember, you can talk to your specific team by @t to coordinate.

On the same hand you could say it's up to the defending players to strategize and spread out to avoid having solo players steal their flag at all.

The scoring is really to blame for this perspective. Most players just don't want to ruin their K/D ratio to bother with captures, since it is (or at least was incase anything has changed) the sole determining factor in the pvp points system.(leaderboard)
Its not that people don't know that in order to win they need to heal their capper when the team sizes get big, it's that they dont want to ruin their personal score.

So the game gives players a reason to not help their team win.
Also the game basically eliminates a large percentage of assists because of the added timer.

What I think would be the better path on this one would be to give PvP points for capturing/assists at a high rate per, and remove all cooldowns (both on the return of a flag after it gets captured, and also the 4-5 second cooldown on the assists)

This will in turn get people motivated to capture instead of defend, which then will help them see how other teams are defending so they can learn how.

Bryce

Adept
On the same hand you could say it's up to the defending players to strategize and spread out to avoid having solo players steal their flag at all.

The scoring is really to blame for this perspective. Most players just don't want to ruin their K/D ratio to bother with captures, since it is (or at least was incase anything has changed) the sole determining factor in the pvp points system.(leaderboard)
Its not that people don't know that in order to win they need to heal their capper when the team sizes get big, it's that they dont want to ruin their personal score.

So the game gives players a reason to not help their team win.
Also the game basically eliminates a large percentage of assists because of the added timer.

What I think would be the better path on this one would be to give PvP points for capturing/assists at a high rate per, and remove all cooldowns (both on the return of a flag after it gets captured, and also the 4-5 second cooldown on the assists)

This will in turn get people motivated to capture instead of defend, which then will help them see how other teams are defending so they can learn how.

Yeah, for sure. It's already in the works for when we wipe the boards, we'll have different values for things.

IE: +5-10 pts per cap, +3 pts per assist, +1 Kills, -1 Deaths