Dexterity and swing speed

Amorpho

Expert
Hi guys,

I have the feeling that swing speed here on UOF does not increase progressively with the increase of Dex, a bit like in AOS. What I mean by this is that if you have Dex 50 you will not swing any faster if you have it at 51. Swing speed changes in ranges of Dex (like, for example, 0-25, 26-40, 41-55, 56-70 etc). Does anybody know what these ranges are precisely? I could only find tables for UO AOS. I wouldn't want to waste points in Dex that I could invest in Int.

Thanks!!

Magpie

Adept
I heard some talk in another thread that dex affects swing speed here in increments of 30.

So you have 0-30 DEX, 30-60 DEX, and 60-90 DEX.

There's no difference between 30 DEX and 59 DEX in terms of swing speed. That's why some bard archers will go with 70 DEX and chug greater agility (+20 DEX) potions to get themselves up to the max swing speed of 90 temporarily. Then they can have some INT/mana for their magery and not lose any swing speed potential.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
If Magpie's information is correct, just note that the ranges would be 0-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91-120. So if you just have 30 dex you are still in the first dex bracket, not the second one. I too have heard this floating around the forums but I don't think it's been officially tested yet

Messremb

Grandmaster
If Magpie's information is correct, just note that the ranges would be 0-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91-120. So if you just have 30 dex you are still in the first dex bracket, not the second one. I too have heard this floating around the forums but I don't think it's been officially tested yet

its actually 1-29 (no ss increase), 30-59(1) , 60-89(2), 90-119(3), 120(4).

the way it works is this.

The swing speed of the weapon multiplied by 4 subtract the increments of 30 devide by 4 and you get the new swing speed or
(A*4-b)/4= Swing speed
where A is the weapons base swing speed, and b is the stam modifier.

Fallen Angel

Grandmaster
all weapons have a base SS that can be altered by higher stam. max stam is 120 and that gives the fastest SS. the above formula is correct for every weapon type.

kryss have only 3 lvl ss
war fork have 4 lvl ss
short spear have 3 lvl ss

kryss and short spear fastest weapons and have only 3 lvl ss

Messremb

Grandmaster
I think what your trying to say is they cant go below the 1.25 sec SS min, that is correct. but that doesn't change the formula, its still calculated as above just when it tries to go below 1.25 it cant.

jeffe

Master
its actually 1-29 (no ss increase), 30-59(1) , 60-89(2), 90-119(3), 120(4).

the way it works is this.

The swing speed of the weapon multiplied by 4 subtract the increments of 30 devide by 4 and you get the new swing speed or
(A*4-b)/4= Swing speed
where A is the weapons base swing speed, and b is the stam modifier.

Can a dev confirm that this information is correct?
@Shane @Adam @Bryce @Carl

I am not a numbers man; I don't want to spend my time calculating swing speed and average damage, then running a statistcal analysis. But it very well could change what stats my characters have.

Thank you in advance.

Amorpho

Expert
I heard some talk in another thread that dex affects swing speed here in increments of 30.

So you have 0-30 DEX, 30-60 DEX, and 60-90 DEX.

There's no difference between 30 DEX and 59 DEX in terms of swing speed. That's why some bard archers will go with 70 DEX and chug greater agility (+20 DEX) potions to get themselves up to the max swing speed of 90 temporarily. Then they can have some INT/mana for their magery and not lose any swing speed potential.
You have no idea how this will change the stats on my characters. If this is definitely true (devs we need you!!), I am wasting 20 points on my provo-archer-mage that I will most certainly invest into INT. This is the kind of stuff that MUST be put on the wiki (or the FAQs as the devs are trying to do atm). After all, what is UO without Stats and algorythms... :)

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
Good luck, devs are notorious for not giving out numbers like these as they don't want it to become a "numbers game"

I think I'll do some testing on this actually cause I'm itching to know myself. Results coming within the hour....

Kairus

Adept
u will constantly lose stam fighting pvp so 100 dex is really usefull even if u are using kryss. and dex doesnt increase ss, STAMINA does. drink refresh pots constantly if u wana keep up high swing speed.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
Here are the test results.

What I did was use a stopwatch app on my phone to time out 5 hits on an enemy (not that it matters, but I used ettins and ogres). I did this five times then averaged them and came up with a rough number for each dex bracket, in 10-point increments. I also used stamina potions constantly so I was always running at full stam.

Weapon used: short spear (speed of 2)

(times given are for 5 consecutive swings at an enemy)
25 dex -- 9.6sec
35 dex -- 9.2sec (.4 gain)
45 dex -- 8.5sec (.7 gain)
55 dex -- 8.0sec (.5 gain)
65 dex -- 7.5sec (.5 gain)
75 dex -- 7.1sec (.4 gain)
85 dex -- 6.7sec (.4 gain)
95 dex -- 6.2sec (.5 gain)

So it looks like swing speed steadily increases as your dex rises, meaning there are no pre-set swing speed brackets (at least on this shard). Also note that swing speed *does* scale with current stamina (not max dex). Also, speed dropped noticably as I dipped below a "5" in the ones digit, meaning the tiers go 55, 65, 75, etc.

So keep in mind if you're relying on Bless to boost your dex that extra 10 points, you also have to take a stamina potion right after to refill that new stamina before you get any effect (as the spell only raises max dex).

Last edited by a moderator:

Amorpho

Expert
Brilliant, thanks for this. It would be worth making it sticky. I remember that in AOS too the gaps were between "fives" (there was a huge difference between 84 and 85). Im definitely bringing my DEX down to 65 rather than 80 then :)

Magpie

Adept
Here are the test results.

What I did was use a stopwatch app on my phone to time out 5 hits on an enemy (not that it matters, but I used ettins and ogres). I did this five times then averaged them and came up with a rough number for each dex bracket, in 10-point increments. I also used stamina potions constantly so I was always running at full stam.

Weapon used: short spear (speed of 2)

(times given are for 5 consecutive swings at an enemy)
25 dex -- 9.6sec
35 dex -- 9.2sec (.4 gain)
45 dex -- 8.5sec (.7 gain)
55 dex -- 8.0sec (.5 gain)
65 dex -- 7.5sec (.5 gain)
75 dex -- 7.1sec (.4 gain)
85 dex -- 6.7sec (.4 gain)
95 dex -- 6.2sec (.5 gain)

So it looks like swing speed steadily increases as your dex rises, meaning there are no pre-set swing speed brackets (at least on this shard). Also note that swing speed *does* scale with current stamina (not max dex). Also, speed dropped noticably as I dipped below a "5" in the ones digit, meaning the tiers go 55, 65, 75, etc.

So keep in mind if you're relying on Bless to boost your dex that extra 10 points, you also have to take a stamina potion right after to refill that new stamina before you get any effect (as the spell only raises max dex).

Thanks for doing this test and sharing the results. So aren't there really pretty noticeable brackets if there's a big drop off after the '5' in the ones digit?

For instance, the moment you go from 95 stam to 94 stam, you're basically in the '85 stam' swing speed bracket?

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
Yup, that's how it works. They are noticeable brackets but it's more along the lines that make sense to the newbie/work how you'd imagine they will, rather than some hidden system of brackets based on 30-point tiers. Also I really felt the pickup around 65-75, that is the sweet spot I wouldn't drop below for any dexxer. The delay between attacks just took too long below 65

Last edited by a moderator: