1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DEXXER in PvP

Discussion in 'Player VS Player' started by Berindon, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Berindon

Berindon Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Hi all!

I am new to the shard but a very old player of UO. I know that magery is almost a vital skill, but do you guys think that a dexxer has a chance on this server?

If not, a dexxer is still a viable char ?

I was thinking of a template on this note:

Fencing
    Poisoning
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Resist Spell
    Magery

Or the same as above but with Sword + Lumber. Eventually changing magery for Alchemy.

Any feedback?

2. Rumple

Rumple Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Rumple Foreskin
    Need alchemy on this server to be viable in pvp.

Drop magery for it.

3. halygon

halygon Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    No, you need Exp pots. Alchemy is just additional damage. Magery gives more than alchemy in terms of usefulness in pvp.

4. Rumple

Rumple Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Rumple Foreskin
    Yes you need alchemy thanks.

5. TrustyPatchez

TrustyPatchez Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Your template could work fairly easily, also you could drop magery for alchy for a more aggressive build. You could also drop poisoning for alchy and still be useful for group pvp as a dexxer with a spear and keep your versatility. Either way I would suggest taking up alchy in your template otherwise it can be very difficult to take down runners

6. halygon

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    Basically you are saying that you are cool with running away as long as its you and not them? Without magery you are pure offense and when that fails, and it will with fencing, then you have nothing to do but run away until a bandy kicks in. With Magery you can continue to put pressure on them while chucking less powerful exp pots.

Obviously the best approach is to incorporate both alchy and magery for a fencing build, but that approach isn't best suited for folks new to the game (even if they played in the original T2A/SE time frame).

OP - If you really just want a viable build that's easy to get into and will be solid... just go with an alchy macer. You only need to carry warhammers because you have a 25% chance at double damage with it, which is a good chunk. The build looks like:
    1. Mace Fighting
    2. Tactics
    3. Anatomy
    4. Healing
    5. Magery
    6. Resisting Spells
    7. Alchemy
    Start off with GMing magery, resisting spells, and meditation altogether (should cost you about 20k gold in reagents). Then lock magery and resisting spells and drop meditation to finish out all the other skills. You can do alchemy at any time because it doesn't have a pre-requisite -- just costs a lot in materials to GM.

7. Rumple

Rumple Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Rumple Foreskin
    Go on offense with very little mana and the ability to deal VERY minimal damage? What are you talking about? Serious question. Cause this is insanely bad advice.

80 alch and 20 magery. You can cast reflect and any other ridiculous spell Haly is suggesting off scrolls.

8. Phrygian

Phrygian Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Phrygian
    He's saying that magery gives you much needed defensive ability and utility.

9. Rumple

Rumple Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Rumple Foreskin
    No he isn’t. Or, if he is, he must of made of a lot of spelling mistakes in this sentence:

10. halygon

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    ^^This

And I think it is how you are reading it, not how I wrote it. Magery gives you the ability to cure, heal, buff, debuff on the go while keeping pressure on your opponent. There is very little need to keep a distance from them that way. This is the standard use for magery on a dexxor in pvp. There is no way you would use magery on the offensive without eval and more mana.

11. halygon

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    I should also add that the strength of your cures/heals/buffs/etc is all dependent upon your magery skill. With scrolls you get roughly a two circle bump on your current magery skill but that doesn't give you full strength spells if you have 20 magery. I think the only exception is maybe magic reflection.

12. Rumple

Rumple Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Rumple Foreskin
    Oh just spelling mistakes/back peddling got it!

13. halygon

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    The only back peddling I see here is what the OP will need to do if he has a pure dexxor template as you are suggesting.

14. thestand

thestand Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Once you equip a 2 handed spear your 100 skill points in poisoning is of no use. Try alchemy instead of poisoning on the fencer and use a swords char for the poisoner.

I wouldn't use a lumberjack in pvp due to the fact that macing skill can deal out some high damage hits with a war hammer and you'll have the 100 extra skill points to use on magery.

I have a sword char that's gm poison with 60 alchemy/60 magery it can be fun to play for the most part but it's hard to kill people that have a fast connection and are competent at pvp. You'll need to hit all your pots and get some key poisons in. It can be a great disrupter though if played well.

I hate pvping using a dexxer with 0 magery. There will be lots of instances where a few heal spells will save your life or your friends.

15. Athrez

Athrez Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Heli
    I've played pretty much all the dex templates that comes in my mind and here is few some already mentioned in this thread and this list is in no specific order:

1. Basic 7x dexxer template with gm magery/alchemy. - this works for all skill classes except archer in the field PvP. Most used in the PvP scene.
    2. 7x dexxer template with gm poisoning/alchemy - this is a true killer template but you need to be good at off screening and it's hard to fight more than 1 guy at the same time because you don't have magic heals/magic reflection etc.
    3. 7x dexxer template with gm poisoning/magic - this is good even your pots don't do much of dmg because you can survive longer thanks to magic heals and constant poisoning hits AND you can still disrupt/do dmg with explo pots even they don't do the max dmg. I found out killing is harder with this template but you very rarely die
    4. 6x gm dexxer with 720 skill cap and with 50-80 x 2 gm skills (these two skills could be one of these; poisoning, alchemy and magery). I used this template for a long time and won a lot of events with it, it gives a decent magic heals, gives reflect, can still hit a tons of poisoning hits and the explo pots do decent amount of dmg (my template did +20 explo pots). I think this template worked pretty well in the field as well. I pk'd and faction pvp'd with good results. The right balance for your game play is hard to find tho and getting kills is not as easy as some template above.

What I suggest make cpl diff chars with diff templates and try em out and see what works for you. Duel pits usually need a bit diff template if you want to win tournys.. and for pits it's necessary to have magery for heals.

ps. sorry for lazy typing