Dungeon Chests

Sir.

Grandmaster
Every time i see the subject of Remove Trap being brought up as a skill, everyones suggestion is "just use telekenesis from a safe distance" and I truly feel this is a LAZY answer... Why would you give that reply without a followup of, "because Remove Trap is damn near impossible and takes forever to break even on the investment in GMing it"... Let's be honest, there aren't enough trapped items for one person to obtain/encounter in a reasonable amount of time to GM Remove Trap naturally in game.

The number of trapped containers in dungeons vs skill gains is way too low.. Add traps to EVERY container in every dungeon maybe.
There are no "camp spawns" of ratmen, lizardmen or orcs that have prisoners and trapped chests waiting to be found/picked,
GMing remove trap on paragon chests is silly, even in combination with dungeon chests, cmon now...

The point of remove trap in collaboration with hide/stealth/lockpicking is to do it without having to reveal to cast telekenesis. There are other suggestions I've seen where people try to make alternative use of these seemingly useless skills, which are only useless because the use they do have is not worth sacrificing 1/7 skills for or are way too resource heavy to train in order to gain profit from eventually. My point is why make new alternatives when you can give simple impact to their currently existing purpose?

aeni

Neophyte
Aye, Sir. This mechanic isn't broken so much as lacking support. Basically have to train tinkering alongside RT (so the trapped boxes don't get too tough).

And Agree 100% with your assessment on Tele. Skjoldvard has no fighting/healing capabilities. No magery (outside rune books). The whole point and fun of this toon is to utilize and enjoy a mechanism that has been in the game since it's inception (the chests).

Even if the decision is made to not increase spawn rates of the trapped boxes, at least let gains happen of failed attempts like nearly every other skill in the game.

Cheers

A.

aeni

Neophyte
These next two screen-shots are just two of the imbalance on this particular skill set:

rw7552F.jpg

So I'm in level 1 Despise. All literature I've found here state that Level 1 despise has two level 2 and 3 Level 3 chests. I've found this to be incorrect, but not the issue. My LP skill is 95+, as you can see. Not only did I fail at breaking this level 3 box a few times, but I broke the pick. On the first level of a dungeon, I have this box that I'm failing on several times with a minimum skill required to open a Level 5 T-Map (http://www.uoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Treasure_Map) box...This is kind of harsh at this level of dungeon, I think.

1aQl2gJ.jpg

Same dungeon, few feet away--Actually took this image first. But whatever. As you can see, I unlocked this chest. Took 2 tries. Not so upset about that because it's either a level 2 or 3 chest. (Honestly I don't know where the "levels" are coming from as I haven't found any guidelines on it yet). But a random fail is acceptable, I think, even on the most basic of boxes. We miss hitting our prey at GM weaponskill, sometimes, too. My issue here is Remove Trap...I have 75.2 in this screen. I'm on the first level of a dungeon. I have a macro that I can re-target a box and play...it will attempt to remove the traps. Anyways, I let it run for 5-6 minutes on this box and I couldn't open it. On the first floor of a cave, especially with 75 RT skill, there shouldn't be a box I can't open. Maybe not on the first try, but within 5-6 tries at this skill level.

==============

It's little things like this that drive away good players from using otherwise useless skills. So far, there isn't a ton of loot/monies in this build...it's just fun. But the way it is set up makes it more frustrating than fun, at the moment.

Cheers

~A

tallbib

Neophyte
A lot of locked / trapped chests were unlocked/untrapped in cities. Like in bank of Vesper, for example. It's a pity. I was decent source of income for noob treasure hunters. And they really helped with skills gain.

Dox

Neophyte
@Shane Could you perhaps mention if there is anything being worked on behind the scenes for Dungeon Chests? I know that I for one would love to make a char for dungeon chest hunting.