1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

February 27th, 2015 - Faction Updates

Discussion in 'Patch Notes Archive' started by Staff, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Promyvia

Promyvia Apprentice

Aug 2, 2013
    From a lore standpoint, it could make sense to have 2 Factions for blues only and 2 Factions for reds only, though I'm not sure exactly how it would work out.

2. Kemi'Kalz

Kemi'Kalz Grandmaster

Nov 7, 2014
    Kemi'Kalz

Not really, factions is about politics.

Yes Minax and Shadow Lords are "evil"

But that doesnt automatically make them red, or murderers.

From a lore standpoint shadow lords are more like sneaky little stealth thieves that will corrupt towns and raise taxes,

Minax is has more of a strong arm approach to thing, but in this case as well it also doesn't make them murderers.

2 people like this.
  3. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    I think limiting factions to red or blue kinda goes against what sandbox is about. Maybe having one faction that is red only and one that is blue only would be neat, with the other two representing the gray area. A true sith vs. jedi kinda thing. But I really like having all four factions going against one another. It's exciting and you never know what'll happen.

4. Staff

Staff Young Player Help

Feb 11, 2013
    If you want to manually be added or removed to a faction, page in. We''ll evaluate it on a case by case basis.

5. Modus

Modus Master

Nov 2, 2014
    wrong.

6. Mark Wainwright

Mark Wainwright Apprentice

Nov 30, 2014
    Grizard
    If I join factions on one of my characters, do all the characters on the account get the bonuses? Say for example I have a fighting thief that joins factions and we capture the sigil that gives bonuses to meta talismans. Will my Non-Faction Guy get the bonuses? Also, does he have to be in a certain guild apart from my existing guild?

7. Sapperman

Sapperman Grandmaster

Jun 14, 2013
    In Seige, the factions had the good/evil system, and if you were evil you were red, no counts needed. Same basic faction system without all the cool buffs and bonuses.

I am in no way for actually preventing factioners from attacking their own, that would be very detrimental to the freedom of UO.

I would just propose establish a separate red/blue system with its own perks, the red buffs available are too powerful to be added to a system that a lot of people are intimidated by due to the constant pvp. If you inserted a red/blue system and removed reds from factions, normal folks would have real incentive to achieve the red/blue "incentives" and a newer pvper would not feel like he has to go against groups of 4-8 zerg groups. Some of us enjoy the large scale pvp, some don't. But when you combine the two, you are placing a lot of power in the hands of a few, with no real ability for pvmers or casual pvpers(who enjoy red/blue fights) to influence their outcomes.

It is obvious the intent is to "force" more people into factions, but some folks just don't like that playstyle.

On another note, how long do sigils take to purify now, been waiting for about 3 days now and they are still corrupted. Was there a change to that?

2 people like this.
  8. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    I really like that idea. However, on a free server with a limited pvp player base, I think it would spread us too thin. Factioners would leave to be a part of the other system if the rewards were greater and the risk was less.

I think the pvp aspect of factions is where the devs would like it. It's the other parts of the game that I wouldn't mind becoming a part of factions.

9. Sapperman

Sapperman Grandmaster

Jun 14, 2013
    Yeah I feel like the pvp aspect is a double edged sword, the devs desperately want people to pvp due to the obvious content additions (boat warfare, factions, red protections, etc.) But pvp is dominated by a few who do it really well and those who group really well. To some people, that intimidates them. Nobody wants to walk into an area where you have zero chance to compete.

Its my opinion, a red should be very difficult to play but very rewarding. In the current system it certainly isn't difficult to play. Up the ante on both sides and let the folks who enjoy one style (red/blue or factions), not have to deal with the other unless they what to. The hard part would be creating equal benefits for both systems. However, I do feel reds need more risk but that doesn't mean there can be rewards as well. I think murder currency who be a cool idea. Same concept, kill a blue get 5 mp, collect 25000 mp and get a cool ethy, or some gruesome titles, even faction like blessed weaps.(they aren't permablessed).......... I dunno the depth is based on creativity, which I think this staff has quite a bit of. I would just like to see the systems split instead of being forced together.

4 people like this.
  10. bksdaduo

bksdaduo Master

Nov 23, 2014
    bksdad, goddamitlingling
    I've been advocating for perma stat loss like OSI days since I started here.

Accomplishes two things.. pushes people to factions or o/c for pvp and gets rid of the newbie ass wanna-be pks who do nothing but kill afk macroers and farmers.

Skill gain is like 300% faster here than OSI so why not?

11. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    My personal opinion is that the devs have a system in place and some very good pvpers from other free shards. If the weak want to compete, they have to get better or innovate in some way. I'll gladly accept the challenge. If I can't compete on an even playing field, I'll find another, legal way to even the odds.

I disagree with adding anymore currencies. Dono coins, gold, plat, and silver are plenty. Though I do agree that killing afk macroers is lame and reds should have some kind of punishment for it, I have no idea how the system can be altered to pick up consensual pvp vs non.

12. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    I don't think that perma stat is the answer. See above post. Apologies for back to back posts.

13. bksdaduo

bksdaduo Master

Nov 23, 2014
    bksdad, goddamitlingling
    they've tried everything else besides perma stat.. it worked quite well for OSI

14. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    Maybe I just don't understand how permastat works. Enlighten me/throw link?

15. Promyvia

Promyvia Apprentice

Aug 2, 2013
    The thing about reds is that they have an endless supply of resources by killing people who aren't even there that can't defend themselves. And it's no different when they go to the lower tiers of dungeons and kill those who are training and probably don't have a whole lot of ways to defend themselves. Hell just about any character involved in PVM is going to be at a disadvantage because reds are built on complete PVP templates whereas some of the PVM templates have skills that do little to nothing in PVP.

I've lost way more resources to PKs who kill me while I'm not there than when I am there.

Which is why it pains people to see reds get another buff when they really don't deserve it. Being red is too fruitful and allows acquisition of way too much with too little effort. That's the difference between reds on OSI and reds on here or most other player shards - you actually had reason to fear reds on OSI. Everywhere else they are just more of an imbalanced annoyance.

I love that PKing is a part of UO but it feels like it's slipping out of the balance on UOF. There should definitely be perks and rewards for being red, as with any part of the game. I even think it's neat that there is a sigil for reds - there should be. However I really don't feel there should be THIS many reds on the server. Think about this: how many times have you seen a red actually farming PVM? That's pretty much the entire point of the dungeons, right? So you have all these PVM templates running around in PVM areas, that get raided by PVP templates who can come in and typically easily eradicate the entire dungeon of any PVM templates. PVP templates don't need to farm PVM because PVM templates are farming it for them - who's really at higher risk here? Several people in the thread have mentioned the blue vs red part of the game but I've yet to see it on UOF. I can honestly say in all my time here the only time I've ever seen a BLUE chasing a RED is in Britain. I always felt like being a murderer on UO was meant to be a thrill of excitement for skilled players who were greatly punished whenever they failed. That sadly doesn't seem to be the case here... although I see Factions as an opportunity to fix that.

16. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    Ok. I get what you're saying. You want to discourage zerg red units via permastat. I'm telling you that's not going to work. It's going to make things worse. You'll see even larger groups of pks rolling together. Then blue pvpers and pvmers will die off completely. Seeing red groups this large means that the risk is outweighing the reward.

Problems:
    Zerg pks killing afk macroers.
    Bue pvmers becoming discouraged at being pked.
    Afk macroers discouraged at being pked.

Solution:
    Discourage red zergs.
    Promote solo and small group pk.
    Provide incentive for blue pvpers to stay blue without going into factions.
    Find a way for trammy cry babies to quit crying, adapt to their environment, and embrace true sandbox instead of fearing it.

*scratches head*
    I got nothin' man.

17. Sseany4209

Sseany4209 Grandmaster

Jan 13, 2015
    Are factions really evened out???
    Lets be honest there is more coms than there is minax,sl,tb put together. i thought they fix it so that it will be even across all factions not 20 coms 3 tb 5 minax and 9sl

2 people like this.
  18. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    TB has the biggest population.

19. Sseany4209

Sseany4209 Grandmaster

Jan 13, 2015
    Not sense the update, i have seen more coms than any other faction put together tbh lol, only seen 1 tb and even he said he thinks hes only one in tb lol

20. Fattson

Fattson Grandmaster

Apr 9, 2013
    Jani posted a link to legends in a thread I created. TB has well over 100 toons, though most of them seem to be power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.