Fishing Change is needed

Godsrage

Grandmaster
i been out doing some fishing and like i said it 30 sec cool down. need to change I know what VVC did with the scan the horizons and what the players did . I know there going to abusing the hell out of stuff. look at what EQMS dose some times and all the time the point. I am trying to explain to you is this. we should give all blues a 30sec head start form all reds on land in UOF . That what we are doing out at sea .that the change i have been seen now if we think about it all together that is not Fair Play i know you like Fair play like it all so let compromise get it a 15 sec or a 10 sec not 30 that to long or removing the crow nest all to get with no tracker and let the player run in to ether out at sea

halygon

Grandmaster
So you are saying that the cooldown for Scan Horizons at 30sec is too long and should be shorter? You are comparing this to forcing reds to give a 30sec head start to any blues they attack?

sshhaawwnn

Master
I think its bad for both red and blues, makes it necessary to have a tracker just to fish up mibs for blues, or tracker to find people running a red. Also mutual sea combat, which is becoming more and more popular, without a tracker you completely lose other ships in 30 seconds. I know simple solution is to dual client with a tracker, but why? Why is that necessary when setting the cooldown to 5, 10 seconds would negate the need.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I know what VVC did with the scan the horizons and what the players did .
giphy.gif

Shortbus

Grandmaster
IMHO, it doesn't hurt to have it setup the way it used to be where you could use it every couple seconds. I believe more people would go back out to sea if they could scan and find the ships. It was stated that the 30 second delay was to "offload the server load" but there may have been 10-15 people max at a time (and that's peak) using it at once...don't think that's going to eat too much server resources when you have people running around in the no cut spamming racial slurs with every spell cast.

Just my .02 cents though...here's a nickel, keep the change...

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
As the system stands now, you pretty much are safe as a fisherman, as long as you are paying attention and scanning. The moment you see a red dot, you can run the opposite way, if they give chase, a hard right/left, and 30 seconds later you are already clear of the danger. The only PvP really happening, is unattended fishers. As a pirate it's impossible to chase someone on the run, you've given them a 30 second head start.

I agree with making a change to 15 seconds, on the premise that it actually helps both sides, but may make it more possible to catch someone if you are a better sailor. The pirate will see course changes sooner, allowing him to alter course in his chase. The runner will potentially also see the pirate at a further range, because they can scan more regularly, giving them an early head start. This change doesn't just help the attacker, it helps the active defender also - in my opinion it would be a good change.

Young Star

Grandmaster
Should at least make it short enough to still be able to reasonably scan a boat while in pursuit if you are within 50% of the scan the horizons range. Seems like as it is now all it takes is one change of direction to lose someone. I dont know what a better cooldown time would be but it should take a little more evasive maneuvering to shake someone in pursuit.

sshhaawwnn

Master
But even down to no cool down, or somewhere in the middle, its even more of an advantage to both sides, gives the attacker and defender both more time to react. Brings it down to, as Kidden said, Who is the better sailor. Which is the same on land, if a red comes in and is better at pvp than you, you run and recall, or try to fight and die. The same is possible on the sea, if you are not afk, and are paying attention. There is plenty of time to get away.
Another example of a big issue I find with 30 seconds is WPs. Your coords are out there,everyone knows where you are sitting, you're doing a WP, Scan, no one in range, before you can scan again, you have a ship, or multiple ships on top of you, added to all the monsters you are fighting.

sshhaawwnn

Master
Sorry I came of as wishy washy. I think it needs to be lowered. Another example, I was pulling up to a ship (red dot) the other day, just scanned, got within a screen or two, then it disappeared, (obviously he zigged when i zagged) but it totally negates the need to spend all the resources so many of us did to build a Galleon specifically to be faster than a small boat you can purchase for what? 20k?

Young Star

Grandmaster
I think this is a perfect example of "swinging the pendulum" from one extreme to the other. This has happened with several mechanics and is understandable when there isnt a good way to beta test changes. As long as staff is willing to revisit changes to tweak them after players get a chance to play the game and give constructive feedback we can work out a compromise.

The way the scan system worked before there was no cooldown and now the cooldown seems too excessive. It doesn't seem too unreasonable to dial it down to 10-15sec and see how the fisherman and pirates deal with it.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I have to disagree with there not being a good way to beta test these changes. Test center works just fine and could stand to be utilized more. This isn't the first time a change has been botched.

Sigh.

Young Star

Grandmaster
I have to disagree with there not being a good way to beta test these changes. Test center works just fine and could stand to be utilized more. This isn't the first time a change has been botched.

Sigh.
I will have to disagree. Yeah in theory you can ask a bunch of people to log onto test center to try out something but in practice it doesn't work very well. Even though this is the largest populated free server it still doesn't have enough people that would be willing to waste their game time for a few days to properly test new stuff. Yeah you may get a handful to help for a short time but even something as simple as this cooldown debate is not going to really get quality data. A lot of it really needs to be discovered live and see how players react and adapt. I would not call this a botched change but just one that needs some more polishing. As long as they are willing to do the polishing it will be fine. If they are not then yes there will be a lot of stuff out of whack but in the last few months they have been pretty good about making small changes to things after they introduce a change to try to get it balanced.

Bromista

Grandmaster
That's true...as long as it gets tended to in a relatively short amount of time I don't mind the "live" beta testing so much.

You're probably right though. I jump over to test when staff says they are doing something but the only time other people actually do in any numbers is if they are testing out a new meta pet or boss...