Forensic Eval

Dellan

Grandmaster
Yea, I'm a big fan of so called useless skills. There were already couple of suggestions about Forensics, however.. Would be cool if Forensics worked like tracking. Sort of. Using it on corpse would give you name of killer and pop a tracking arrow on him (which would stay even if you/he recalled), thus allow you to eventually sniff him out and engage. If everyone cries about PKs, then why not give them a chance to engage, eh..

Edit: In case of need (if reds find this too harsh), some timer can be added to the corpse. Like murderer's identity and location can be obtained only during first 5-10 minutes (not exactly sure how long it takes before corpse decays fully), otherwise you get a message with identity of the killer, but saying "The lead has grown too cold for you to find out where murderer resides." (or something like that)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellan

Grandmaster
Eheh.. I brainstormed this quick idea a bit, and result will be best explained on model situation:

Officer Fuzz, during his routine patrol, enters a dungeon, where he finds fresh corpse of some poor man who died to murderers. He drops his half eaten donut, sips from cold coffee, mutters something about not being well paid & uses his well trained detective instinct aka forensic eval on that corpse, and gets usual Who killed him and who looted him message, however.. A gump pops up, giving him a question "Which murderer do you wish to hunt?". Officer Fuzz chooses one of them, and hunt begins. His powerful instict which gave him name of the murderer in the first place will pop a tracking arrow on murderer he hunts & place a small gump on his screen, which tells basic information about the one he hunts - if the killer is red/blue, and very vague information about his location - mainland, island, sea, or dungeon. All of this in a small gump (closeable only by one button, so he can't close it accidentally), which also displays a timer, let's say, 20 minutes. Why the timer? Because he has only limited time to find the killer and bring him to justice. It also prevents from abusing the skill where one blue DT keeps sniffing him out and sends blue gank squads on him. So, Officer Fuzz senses that this perpetrator is in a dungeon. He doesn't know which, so he checks a few. After entering the right dungeon, he receives a message "You are confident that murderer you are after is here." If the hunted killer recalls/exits dungeon, Fuzz will receive a message stating that "The murderer you are after has left this dungeon." So, officer Fuzz, knowing approximate surroundings of his prey continues to search for him, 'till he finds him. Will Fuzz defeat the killer, and bring justice upon him? No one can tell. No one can even tell if he'll find him in the first place. But the outcome is this:

"You have brought justice upon this murderer." - murderer gets killed by detective that hunts him, mission successful, arrow dissapears
"The murderer has evaded your try to bring justice upon him." - timer runs out, tracking arrow obviously dissapears
"The murderer is nowhere to be found." - murderer logged. However this will only stop the timer from running, to prevent abuse by simply logging off and on. Timer will stay frozen until murderer logs back, or Fuzz decides to take another case.

So... opinions? It's all open to ideas, but this seems simple & usable to me. Worst part is the balancing - on one hand, detective should be able to find the killer given the clues, on the other hand, he can't outright instateleport to his location, eh..

Last edited by a moderator:

Saker

Neophyte
I like this idea a lot, but you'd have to get rid of the 48 hr stat loss. Swapping that with a required paid bounty with a 10k cap (red is stat lossed until they pay up) would give this skill a big incentive beyond just a RP tool.

I could also see reds setting a trap for a detective if they know he's online. Could lead to some fun PVP events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dellan

Grandmaster
Thanks. Yea, I looked at the thing more from bounty hunter's look, hunting reds for their heads to pay them back.. but required paid bounty would be good, yea. Heheh.. This whole "I will stat you even if you'd pay me a million" business is no good. I understand why reds need to gank, and that 48hrs statloss is too much, on the other hand, they must get punished too. That idea of yours, paying required bounty of say... 10k, if you don't pay, you stay statlossed, is good. It would need some balancing, as everything new needs, price might go up a bit, or might not, but so far, idea is really good. Red on a bad day would get his bank sucked out, so that would put him out of action for a while, while blues would have a reason to hunt them, and there would be bad ass PVP everywhere. Oh yeah!

Dellan

Grandmaster
Haha, yeah, I read that other post and seen it was limlight's.. Still, it's a good idea, should be spreaded as holy word, it's good for both sides.