From the olden days pacific and or GL

BillyButter

I was there at the beginning for the first few years. Within a month of release. Cant remember if i was on great lakes or pacific. I was a green and yellow clad archer mage thief named billy. I spent most my time in the graveyard and woods and mountainside (where my blacksmith house was) west of britannia. I was pretty well known in those parts as being dangerous, yet chatty. People would stay in the far corner to still talk, but if i moved an inch closer to anyone they immidiately move back into the corner of the screen. My thieving was at 100. Archery 99.8 or 9. And to a lesser extent mage simce i only needed it high enough for a 100 percent teleportation escape for the times i picked a fight i couldnt win. I dealt all my damage with the bow.

I would sport a death robe with plate armore hiden underneath besides gloves and boots and helm so i looked fresh rezzed. Then i would steal the black pearl from someone. And i would get it all cuz i was grandmaster. That meant they could no longer cast the best spells at me or escape. But after they attacked me for being a noob lookin thief it was already too late. Id throw on my magic bow and it only took 2 to 3 arrows to finish 90% of everyone off.

Was i a pk? Not exactly. I never once outright pked anyone. Stealing was legit. Attacking me cuz i turned grey was legit. And then defending myself was also legit. Although i won most fights or escaped the tough ones. So i never lost unless lag happened. I wasnt the one who decided to attack someone to the death over a robbery. Thats not how me do things in real life. I was just teaching bloodthirsty players a lesson to not try to kill anyone just cuz theyre grey.

Or maybe you know me from another place i hung around. The main trail that led northwest out of britannia past the training dummys and near the farms. I was that corpse lying dead on the trail with full matching plate armor and a heft sack of gold and reagents laying there all alone with no one in sight. It seemed out in the wilderness since the traning dummy tower that was the first sign of the city was still a minute or two away. And in the original days. You could loot a corpse in the woods and only go grey for 2 minutes. But if no ones around youll be fine if you hide for 2 minutes after you loot. But if you loot in town... you can still get away with it. Unless someone calls guards on you. So me and a friend would duel all over the edges of town and call guards on each other til we found the invisible boundaries that extended way out on the most northwest corner to the farmlands that nobody suspected was still undet guard rule. Or if they did suspect, it was a matter if will anyone see me.

We called it fishing. I would put on my flashy armor and gold and regs as bait. They friend would have a newbie char to just kill me at that spot. The graveyard was just a minute away so i could be back in no time to hide behind a tree and watch every player . EVERY SINGLE player. Who walked by stop and debate whether they should loot me or not. Were they in town limits or not. Was anyone around to call guards or not. It was very much like actual fishing. Waiting for a fish to bite. Watching the smarter ones mill around for 5 minutes and rustle around your pack a bit but leave without falling for it. But back then. When you loot a blue corpse in town. And someone calls guards on you. Then you insta die. But then your corpse is grey. Which means town looting is legal. So i come running out from behind the trees to pick up both my loot and yours for free now. Again. Not technically being pk. But rather taking advantage of those who would try to break a law and think theyd get away with it.

Or maybe you know me because your house got burglarized. I met another thief once who told me they were quitting uo that day and so gave me a keyring of all the keys hed stolen over his uo lifetime. There were like 400 house keys on it. So i scoured the whole continent checking many housesin the land. And was able to find about 40 houses of all size.

Maybe you know me from an event that while not as amazing as killing lord british, should be told forever. In UOs first global pvp event where you pick one guild or the other, (Maybe the first inspiration idea ever for WOWs horde vs alliance deal) one side decided to set the guildstone on a boat. A boat that i stole along with the guildstone so that nobody else could join.

I was memorable because i knew ghost and would always talk to you after the kill, unlike most antisocial pks who would run off like you were another ant...

The reason im here. Is after everquest came out i gave it a 1 month trial and was disgusted and disappointed beyond belief. And vowed never to mmo again til games were like uo again. Not because i was a griefer. After all YOU were the one who decided to loot a blue corpse or try to murder a noob looking thief after all... you get what you deserve... i was just defending myself and my property. And after 13 years i finally decided to give WOW a shot. Because ffs. Nothing else has ever compared. (Heard about eve, but i prefer fantasy setting) And i dont think i can even finish the 1 month i got. WOW is just good for the colorful cartooney fantasy world that also has motorcyles and guns. Lore is ok but mmo gameplay is shit. Its more like another single player rpg except you have to pay for it. With endless quests that are so abundant, that any relevant storyline gets lost in all the pointless dailies that storyline becomes meaningless even at the same time you are ONLY doing quests forever just to finally max out and do raids. There was never an endgame or rail track in uo. It was true fantasy virtual reality. You actually lived in that world. Fishing for a whole night was pretty fun if you were a noob instead of worring about leveling up to to the next instance which didnt exist. Every town was a hub for noobs and pros alike not like these starter zones and endgame zones that plague every other game.

Im here because after 20 years now and hoping to get another game thats not so on the rails like WOW and all its clones that maybe checking out uo agaim after 20 years seems like the only option i may ever have again iny life. And not just to try to be some loophole bounty hunter again. I could be a legit guild member this time instead of lone wolf. Being nice instead of grey like a jaime lannister type character. What i liked best about uo that never happened again in a mmo was the sense of community. You didnt need to constantly move from zone to another. Whether you liked the southern jungles or the mining and yew trees of the north you could live and max level yer guy whever in the map you were. No limits like WOW zones. And a hundred more things to do than wow games than emote, raid or aution house and thats it. UO was truly role playing in the purest sense and technologys greatest achievment in gaming regards ever. By far.

I cannot stand the graphics of uo these days but im willing to rejoin since no other option has ever come close. Not to be an asshole this time, but because no where else will i ever have as much fun and adventure as i did just chopping trees or mining ore like in the original days.

Its like star trek. I was on the very first enterprise as we first explored the galaxy for the first time. I role played the klingon or ferengi back then, id like to role play the doctor or engineer next time.