1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Away The Plague - a guide to the Infestation System

Discussion in 'Guides' started by The Archaeologist, Apr 3, 2020.

1. The Archaeologist

The Archaeologist Novice

Sep 2, 2019
    Current Infestation Difficulty Level:

[​IMG]

Low
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the Infestation System/ Play Away the Plague Event?

The Infestation System is a new type of invasion system on UO:Forever that is being showcased with the Play Away the Plague event, where players do battle with a vicious Plague that is infecting monsters in various over-world locations throughout the realm!

The basic elements of this system consist of the following:

[​IMG]
    The Plague Doctor
    The Plague Doctor, which stands upon the West Britain Bank and performs a variety of tasks related to the Play Away the Plague - Infestation System Event, is asking players to seek out Viable Samples of the Plague during reported Outbreaks.

Simply double click the NPC.

[​IMG]
    The Plague Doctor Menu
    Players can use the Plague Doctor Menu to ask for Directions or purchase a Map to any reported Outbreaks. This menu is also used to return Viable Samples of the Plague to the Doctor, and on very rare occasion he may even give you a reward for doing so!

[​IMG]
    Plague Sample

During an Outbreak, the Plague Doctor will inform players of the general vicinity of where the Outbreak is occurring:

[​IMG]
    Plague Doctor Message Between Outbreaks.

[​IMG]
    Plague Doctor Message During an Outbreak.

The Infestation System also tracks various data:

[​IMG]
    The Damage Scoreboard.

The Damage Scoreboard keeps track of players damage throughout the current Play Away the Plague Event.

[​IMG]
    The Returned Item Scoreboard.

The Returned Item Scoreboard keeps track of how many Viable Samples of the Plague that each player has returned.

[​IMG]
    The Hand-Washing Sink
    Next, and VERY IMPORTANTLY, is the Hand-Washing Sink. Players will use these Sinks, located on top of, and at the east side of West Britain Bank, to wash away the Plague as they slowly become infected during Outbreaks. Simply double-click the Sink.

[​IMG]
    The Hand-Washing Sink Menu
    The Hand-Washing Sink Menu gives tips for how to actually wash your hands, as recommended by Medical Doctors in real life. Please take the time to read these helpful tips. NOTE: You can not move away from the sink until 20 seconds are up, and the Plague is washed away.

[​IMG]
    The Plague-O-Meter.
    The Plague-O-Meter keeps track of how much Plague that a player has come into contact with during an Outbreak. The only way to reduce this percentage is to wash your hands.

As players become more Plagued, they will periodically become poisoned and will also have a harder time curing poison than normal, with the severity of these conditions both being directly related to a players Plague level.

It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you DO NOT allow your Plague Level to go above 40%, to help spare First Responders precious resources and mana. Feel free to "tip" First Responding Players with your Viable Plague Samples or resources to aid in their efforts!

[​IMG]
    A First Responding Player.

Other Important Information: There is a generic cooldown of around 2-3 hours between Outbreaks. Each separate Outbreak will have it's own set of special regional conditions, which may include any or none of the following:

Anti Tamer - This will cause the infected creatures to take reduced damage from pets, they will reflect damage, and deal increased damage to the pet.

No Relics - This will cause various damage dealing relics to no longer trigger.
    PvP Zone - Everyone will be Grey in the infected area
    No Mounts - Everyone must dismount to enter the infected area.

That is all you need to know about the Infestation System/ Play Away the Plague Event!! Please enjoy and remember to keep your eyes peeled for Viable Plague Samples and other Rares that these Infected Monsters may be carrying!! Keep in mind, defeating this vile plague is going to require that we all work together with one another!!

Many thanks to the Staff for this fun event to help Play Away the Plague! It really has brought the community together in many ways! Well done!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Ztek and Shane like this.
  2. halv

halv Grandmaster

Jun 23, 2015
    Bodia
    Tobse
    Putting the plaque into a safe haven like UO:F is kind of inappropriate and stupid. Bringing a real life plaque into our sancturay is like spitting in the victims. People all around me die and you try to recreate that in a game. That's not only politically incorrect, it's inhuman.

3. The Archaeologist

The Archaeologist Novice

Sep 2, 2019
    The Infestation system was created with the intention of giving players a reason to stay home instead of going out. This was done specifically to help our front line workers IRL who are currently struggling worldwide to contain the virus.

@Shane immediately saw the need for new content to help keep our community safe, and did not hesitate to throw down every available resource to make this event happen as quickly as it did.

I commend and applaud him and the UOF staff in their quick action to get this content out immediately, It's up to all of us to stay home as much as we can to help flatten the curve, and new, quality content like this is helpful towards that end. (Especially for someone as HYPER as the Archaeologist!!!)

The Infestation System teaches us that we all have to work together no matter what in order to win this fight. Whether or not the event is deemed appropriate or not as the situation IRL evolves rapidly will be up to everyone to discuss. I only hope continued debate on the topic will keep that in mind!

- Harold A Wellington

Skye Wolfbane likes this.
  4. halv

halv Grandmaster

Jun 23, 2015
    Bodia
    Tobse
    Like i said in http://discord.uoforever.com yesterday morning I was a little over the edge about loosing a very important person to that plaque. Loggin in my sanctury is normally a way to avoid my grief. Beeing pissed about a rl virus hitting my game too was a moment of sorrow.
    I got a lots of PMs and mails with condolences and arguments. All of them made sense. Some people have good arguments for a simulated plaque in a video game, other think different.

That's the issue and the weak spot. It's kind of incapacitating the players. Do i really need a computer game teaching me how to behave in a pandemia like this? Are we all that stupid? I feel patronized in a negative way.
    All the deaths around us will make us sensitive enough for that nightmare. UO:F was needed to escape that fear for a moment. My wife got a issue with her lungs health. One of my kids is an asthmatics. I keep them in lockdown since two weeks. I'm in permanent worry about their health, but there is that one moment i need to get rid of that thoughts. And normally it's time to log in UO:F to keep RL out.
    UO:F already got a plaque. Griefer, Zerks, PKs, DDoS attacks, bad player...

Btw. It was Tony who convinced me with his arquments. Different people have different ways to handle situations like this.

Stay healthy and keep washing your hands. Take care.

5. halv

halv Grandmaster

Jun 23, 2015
    Bodia
    Tobse
    Btw. I want to say sorry to @Shane and his awesome staff about my harsh words. I was in a really bad mood that morning. Keep it going you doing good work.

6. Decreamos

Decreamos Grandmaster

Jan 20, 2013
    I work in a trauma 1 center. Huge hospital in a rural area and we get quite a bit of the covid patients. Relating this plague in game to the real thing is about the dumbest shit I have read.