1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Halloween 2017 - Prepare for death

Discussion in 'Events' started by Shane, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    [​IMG]

ULTIMA ONLINE FOREVER HALLOWEEN
    2 0 1 7

(October 27th, 28th and 29th)

ZOMBIE TOWN INVASIONS
    SPECIAL RARE DROPS
    NEW ZOMBIE BOSS

Special drops:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    THE SICKNESS..

Part I
    Story by @Skye Wolfbane

Hugh stood in the doorway looking at the large crates filled with various weapons made of silver. He ran his hand through his hair, shaking his head. He needed to get the crates loaded onto the caravan headed to Britania. He was going to need some help.

“Hey Clem, where's Roger?” Hugh called out to one of the deckhands.

“Don't know. Seen 'im passed out last night near the tavern though,” Clam replied.

Cursing under his breath, Hugh made his way to the tavern to see if he could find Roger. He was going to need as many hands as possible.

Behind the tavern, Hugh saw Roger sitting on a log with his head hanging. His was panting, not unlike a dog and was covered in sweat.

“The hell, Roger? Ya gotta know when to stop drinkin'. Ya look like shit,” he said walking over to his fellow crew member.

Hugh offered his hand to Roger who he assumed would need the help to stand.

Roger lifted his head and looked at Hugh's outstretched hand. His eye lacked color and his skin was a greenish blue color. Before he could say a word, Roger grabbed Hugh's hand and bit down hard, ripping off chunks of flesh. Hugh reached for his knife with the other hand and slammed down into Roger's. Roger's lifeless body slumped down at Hugh's feet. Hugh tore off Roger's shirt and wrapped it around his hand. Stumbling along the road, with a trail of blood behind him, Roger collapsed at the dock where dozens of men rushed to his aid.
    [​IMG]

They would soon find out the reason for the large shipment of silver weapons, but none would live to tell about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Part II
    The undead had taken over Moonglow. The virus, planted by the Neira's minions, had accomplished its task. Her army of undead was now in the thousands. Opening the portal, Neira sent hundreds of infected humans on the verge of death into various cities throughout Sosaria.

“Soon,” she hissed, nodding her head.

She counted on the humans finding the infected and trying to help them – they would bandage their wounds, bring them into their homes and healer huts. Within days, the infected would die and those who had not succumbed to the virus would find themselves meals of the undead. Planting the humans would help spread the virus into the deepest areas of the world without the human armies knowing what was happening in time to fight. It was a good plan.

However, the virus didn't affect everyone for some unknown reason. Those immune, or who had been lucky enough to avoid infection, took up arms against the undead armies. The learned how to defeat the creature using silver weapons.

Seeing many of her undead army fall, Neira opened another portal. After sending in the rest of her army, she got on her skeletal steed and headed toward the gate, dragging behind her a great, golden chain. On the other end was her final weapon -- Vilis Mortem as she named "him." But Vilis was not a man, he was many men. A great slobbery, blob of human flesh formed from hundreds of victims. While he appeared to be a glob of useless rotting flesh, the creature had great magic, formed from the souls and life power of all of its victims.
    Like a huge slug, Vilis followed Neira through the gate to help his Queen put an end to the battle -- or die trying at the hands of the brave warriors of Sosaria.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    NEW STORY LINE ADDED (PART I) (see above)

Also we will be doing Zombieland!

OCTOBER 29th and 30th

[​IMG]

IF YOU ARE UNSURE HOW TO PLAY ZOMBIELAND YOU CAN LEARN FROM THIS VIDEO TUTORIAL:
    (THANKS TO ALAN FOR LEAVING THIS VIDEO UP)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Sir., Bromista, tonkLoD and 2 others like this.
  3. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    [​IMG]

4. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
  5. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    [z

Alucard likes this.
  6. cups

cups Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    the artist formerly known as Holocaust Denier
    Halloween and Christmas are most fun times on UOF! this weekend gon' be gud

De Medici and Morgy like this.
  7. Ranker

Ranker Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Ranker
    Dareth
    This going to be so much fun, Lets get it going! Lol

De Medici likes this.
  8. De Medici

De Medici Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Cosimo de Medici
    Thx for the great work, the event is really nice :)!

Goapirat likes this.
  9. Elizabeth Gold

Elizabeth Gold Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Elizabeth Gold, Skiff, Mackinaw
    I spend the entire weekend on the test server playing zombieland. Most fun I've had on this server so far! Kinda bummed that I live in the EU. Might need to move over to the US next year or take a holiday. Pity it only lasts 2 days. I was really looking forward to make a crafter there or something. @Shane I understand you only want to run the event for 2 days to balance rewards, but would you reconsider leaving it open for another week without rewards and just for fun?

Goapirat likes this.
  10. Goapirat

Goapirat Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Goapirat
    Yea that would be fun

De Medici likes this.
  11. Elizabeth Gold

Feb 12, 2016
  12. Sir.

Sir. Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham
    [​IMG]

There I was, bewildered in the deep forests of Yew on patrol for Orcs when I happened upon a particular mushroom... Rare in it's kind, I heard stories of sages and wise men who spoke about this fungus and it's potency not had by many. Obviously, I quickly assessed my surroundings and indulged.

The tale I am about to tell thee, I cannot assure was real or not, but based on these documents, I would dare account the records true...

So I takes a little stroll down to see Alice and the Wonderland, aye?.. And no kiddin, I sits down ta have a toke o' me pipe and next thing I know I'm snoozin... I wake up in a jungle, surrounded by, I kid ye not, the undead; swarms of them. And not jest yer every day graveyard tomb tippers either; these ting's kept on me heels fer what seemed like miles!!

So I get my senses and think ta' meself, "Oye! This has ta be a dream lad... Ye didn't know what kinda rabbit hole that mushroom would take ye down, now did ya?.." Surely, this has ta be a dream. Pinch meself, and I felt it but didn't wake up. Way I saw it, those zombies bit and it hurt. Best killem and avoid pain.

*takes a swig of ale*

West it was I went, followin' a few crooked roads but it got me to this town. Shite ye not, there before me was me Queen, Lady Skye Wolfbane, and her loyal subjects within the Free City of Trinsic, accompanied by another Knight in her guard... Rubbed me eyes and asked what was goin on! I thought I was trippin'!

Long story short, they fill me in on this weird plague that apparently everyone has (spoiler alert! lol) that will turn us into zombies when we die, and we all will die within 3 days DUN DUN DUNNN!!! However, there is only enough of the ingredients for one cure, but we were still missing one piece!!..

HUZZAH! THE QUEST!

*as he swigs his ale and stokes his pipe, he continues his tale with a glimmer yet still in his eye that had not forgotten all it had seen on this quest*

Ye see, there bein' only enough ingredients for one cure, it certainly was goin' to our Queen. She gracefully and generously offered it to another, whom refused it and insisted that she be the one to have the cure, to carry on the legacy and one true Free city in the land; the royal rose of Trinsic...

We had a band of us all, willing to sacrifice ourselves for our Queen. Their quest was to guard her and keep her alive. I took it on myself, the Commander, Commando and Commandoer (nice), to ensure that the last ingredient was found. I ordered my Knights to keep a guard on the Queen and I would return with the cure before sunrise... I set off in search of the wing of an angel.

I thought, "I need a bow! And LOTS of arrows to take one of these down!"... So I began gathering. And gathering. *takes a swig of ale* And gathering.

One lonely knightly I be, all by meself without nobody, th'sun was beatin' down on me platemail haaaat, the air was gettin hot, the ale was gettin flat... Ye know where this goes. Lookin' fer a feather, I ran into a guy, his name was Jon Snowe, I said Hail an' he said Hi...

[​IMG]

I start explainin' how I got here...

[​IMG]

And what's so important about us not killin' each other in a paranoid survival instinct apocalypse rapture kinda way...

[​IMG]
    (ooc: am I crazy for loving the irony in @Skye Wolfbane 's global message right there? Bahahhahaha)

So, as we're goin' through this dream I'm pretty sure I'm still havin', he tells me a little secret I could have used before I thought I could kill a frickin' seraph with a bow!!

[​IMG]

So I stop to take a piss, roight, an' all of a sudden here comes a wave of zombies out of nowhere, like they all just crawled up out of the ground, and Jon boy goes runnin' North an' I'm cornered with a mess of these rotten bastards an' piss all over meself (as if the goots weren't bad enough and rotten flesh..),

[​IMG]

Next thing ye know 10 minutes go by, I kill me the last wank in me way here an' I hear total silence... I look for me comrade and hes gone! Yelling only attracts more, so on I went with my quest, keeping an eye out for Jon, which I never did see again nor his remains..

Seraph, angle thingies... the blue guys with wings; that's it. They were very bright blue beings and I imagine this was due to the hallucinogenic affect of the mushrooms in this lucid dream and not their criminal status... that was what I was after - those guys. And so I hunted them, many of them...

[​IMG]

HUZZAH! And finally.. FINALLY off of all these wings, I plucked the perfect feather!! Huzzah!!

When all said and done, I dug me's a secure cache and sent the coordinates to the Queen with a three eyed raven that told me it would deliver the message fer me once I got the magical feather from the angle man... (re-read that lol).

Shite ye not, 'tis a true story, so long as this dream never ends... But at least the Queen will surely live on! Mahaha.. *takes one last swig of ale*

Huzzah! 'Til next year, zombie fans! *bows*

I must say, this year was rather fun for me as it offered a real quest within the quest quest, as ye can see :D For the Queen and the one true Free City of Trinsic! Huzzah!!!​

Alucard, Shane and Skye Wolfbane like this.
  13. Skye Wolfbane

Skye Wolfbane Governor of Trinsic

Jan 22, 2013
    Skye Wolfbane, Lynnissia Leoden, Hunter Lorde, Calico Jack, Jade Nevaeh
    That's awesome Sir. Thank you. :)

Sir. likes this.
  14. Elizabeth Gold

Feb 12, 2016
    ZOMBIELAND WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
    I love survivalgames! This was the highlight in my UOF carrier so far! Thank you very much for putting it together!

A few things I would consider revamping for future itterations.

1. Q: What is my goal in this event?
      1) Most unique player kills
      2) Most zombie kills
      3) Highest combined crafting skill (Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Tinkering, AND Bowcraft & Fletching)

1) Not sure how that is tracked or how you can see that
      2) My guess its the score in the event window? Seems its capped at 8500.
      3) I tried to compete for that, but everyone starts at 85 - the point where raising those skills becomes hard. Example, I spend half of my time mining to get blacksmith to 91.6 - the other half of the time I spend bashing monsters (4310 score). I doubt this goal/contest is meaningfull/competitive in it's current form.
    2. Q: How do I make the cure?
      A: You have to mix the proper ingredients together in the proper sequence and in the right way. There are white-robed mobs named "____ the Seer" who give you hints that you must remember--pay attention to the step numbers! There is a small chance that those hints also drop on corpses.

Didn't see any hints on corpses or white robed mobs. My guess is that those who were able to complete the cure replied on info from the years before. Eighter enable the hints or make it public knowledge.
    3. If you plan on giving out rewards, please announce that before the event. I've seen several players in http://discord.uoforever.com expressing their concerns about not getting the steed reward they were hoping for according to last years rewards. Imagine their disappointment. If you want to hold rewardless events, that's absolutely fine but make it clear in advance.
    4. A few bugs that should be addressed:
      - Tracking doesn't appear to work on players.
      - Mining is MANUAL clickwork! Last target doesn't seem to work. My mouse literally died there! I also had issues with other macro's using last target - bandaging for one. Not sure what's causing it.
      - Poison carries over upon dead. Rather annoying if you died by Dr Creeper
      - Stamina/weight seems to be endless - I was able to move while holding over 2000 stones in my hand (ore).
      - Mining allowed to spawn trolls (earth elemental replacement), which I doubt was intended. A minor details is that you always went criminal when looting them - as if they weren't your own kills.
    5. Overall suggestions:
      - Replace bandages with cloth drops. It's insane hard to gather cloth (for crafting instruments). Main source was your initial wardrobe (2 cloth) upon spawning.
      - Start with 40 music, that allows players to craft instruments rather than depending on a lucky drop from a daemon before they could start producing them.
      - Make armor crafts competitive. Remove plate drops from the loottable of zombies.
      - Make weapon crafts competitive. Eg: Small chance to craft a silver. Chance increases as you use higher end maerials.
      - Bows are pretty annoying to hit with using the current combat system.
      - In fact, the whole combat system kinda favors scripters and discourages new players to try it out. Lets say the first top 150 players gave it a try and everybody beyond rank 220 wasn't even to figure it out. I assume it's being implemented to increase the pace of the game, but perhaps you can do that by lowering health on certain mobs?
      - Allow the event to last longer. Altough I can imagine that causing burnouts for competitive players.

Alucard, Sir., drasked and 3 others like this.
  15. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    it wasnt capped ;)

btw nice read !

16. Xiulan

Xiulan Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2016
    +1 on all of these, especially cure hints. Even having the recipe it was extremely difficult to make -- those without it had no chance at all.

I would add: please set and stick to an end time so people can plan accordingly!

But on the whole it was a lot of fun and I wish it happened more than once a year... could you re-skin the zombies as elves for christmas?

17. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    I'm glad you guys all enjoyed the events. The Zombieland event turned out well and NO LAG which was nice, or very little.
    That is a huge step forward honestly as it was one of the reasons we couldn't run it very often.

Going forward we will be adjusting it as we've been listening to all of your feedback.

Thank you!

Elizabeth Gold, Bromista and Sir. like this.