Hello, folks.

I used to play UO as a kid (started right around when trammel was introduced), and unlike a lot of old returning players, I pretty much was always a carebear player.

Used to play on Napa Valley for a long time (Gandolf was my main, a tamer/mage... yes, misspelled), and basically have been playing on and off ever few years, but its been almost a decade since I've reupped. the OSI shards, last time I checked, were barren and boring.

I seek new adventures.

And man, do I miss UO.

So, I started looking around, and for the first time discovered the freeshards available. Of those listed, UOForever seems like it has the right mix of old, new, original, and most importantly of all, the playerbase to make it truly worthwhile.

I remember a lot, but I was never hugely into Macroing, and discovering what's possible through that has been quite fun. I've already started up a Tamer/Bard by the name of Danann (I had one of those, too - Fiona MacByrne), and it's going decently so far. A bit under 20 hours left in Young status, and I'm about 63 real skill taming so far. (If you've seen Danann Rejects around Britain, then you've seen UOSteam's wonderful handiwork)

My new tamer isn't the only thing I've been busy with. My Archer/bard build (Babd Catha), has gotten to 3x GM fairly quickly, and I'm comfortable killing liches, mummies, and stone harpies in the newb dungeon... I'm sure to get more confident as I get a bit better, and much moreso when I finally start training Provo! Edit: I did hear about/look at the "Bard's Table", but I didn't see a good way to get onto it, as it was occupied. Perhaps my Rel Por skills re just a touch rusty, but I couldn't seem to get myself up there. Any suggestions on that?

My new Swordswoman, Morrigu, has also been started, though is still a bit less refined and trained than the other two characters. It was absolutely insane how quickly she trained up with a katana and some half-decent discarded armor, though - 0 to GM for both Swords and Tactics in a night's work, with Anatomy nearly there and Healing in the 70s.

Makes you wish you could stay young forever...

*hums the tune to Bob Dylan's Forever Young*

Speaking of that, I've also, as I mentioned, always been a trammie. This seems like a perfect opportunity to learn some new skills, die a heckuva lot, and maybe learn a thing or two in the process. Morrigu, at the very least, I'm considering for pure PvP purposes (possibly even a red - never had one).

I only have very limited free time (despite the above) for the next week or two, as I'm taking the Bar Exam next week (uuuuuuugh), but I was also hoping to join an active guild, particularly one in which I can mostly stick to what I'm good at (farmin' mobs like a boss) but have the opportunity to use muscles I've never used before (KILLDEATHMURDERKILL)l

Glancing around the forums and reading up has helped a touch in figuring out the "lay of the land" for the server's guild situation, but it'd be nice if someone could give a decent summary of some good guilds that might be willing to take me in!

Cheers,

Danann
of the Tuatha de Danann

Xiulan

Master
Welcome! I'd recommend going in UOF's Discord and checking out the looking-for-guild channel, it's an easy way to see what guilds are active and recruiting. Also if you ask for a rune to the bard table I'm sure someone will hook you up.

Good call on the Discord. Never used it before (My head's been buried in a lawbook or three for a while now), so I'll need to DL it and give it a go.

I'll probably start by just listening in, since i won't be active enough to make a go of a guild for a week or two.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Discord is absolutely a must - can get lots of help, have a great buy/sell forum, and also get to know personalities in the game, every guild seems to have some! Definitely find the right guild for you, it'll be more fulfilling in the long run, if you end up in a guild you don't enjoy, the experience is just soured. There are lots of great guilds on Forever!

As for teleporting onto the bard table, north east corner is where you can get up on to it, you could also try the Vesper Graveyard, a little quieter, less PK's and there is a rotter there, so you can GM.. takes a little longer without 50% gains, but it sounds like you've got a few characters on the go (I'm assuming you've started your second account), so doing it on another screen you don't even notice the slower gains. I've taken two Provokers to GM and past there.

If you have any questions, want some advice on which client to use, or need help with macros/scripts, look me up on Discord, always willing to help a fellow returnie! Discord: AreYouKidden (Avalon)#0403

halygon

Grandmaster
Welcome to UOF (even if you have been here a short while). Make sure to stop by the Wiki (see top of the forums for link) as we do have some unique mechanics.

Have fun!

Discord is absolutely a must - can get lots of help, have a great buy/sell forum, and also get to know personalities in the game, every guild seems to have some! Definitely find the right guild for you, it'll be more fulfilling in the long run, if you end up in a guild you don't enjoy, the experience is just soured. There are lots of great guilds on Forever!

As for teleporting onto the bard table, north east corner is where you can get up on to it, you could also try the Vesper Graveyard, a little quieter, less PK's and there is a rotter there, so you can GM.. takes a little longer without 50% gains, but it sounds like you've got a few characters on the go (I'm assuming you've started your second account), so doing it on another screen you don't even notice the slower gains. I've taken two Provokers to GM and past there.

If you have any questions, want some advice on which client to use, or need help with macros/scripts, look me up on Discord, always willing to help a fellow returnie! Discord: AreYouKidden (Avalon)#0403

Dungeon gains are simply amazing for skill gain, so if I can swing that, all the better. I'm near the Young status skill cap for my archer bard, though, so I think I'll stick to training my tamer on dungeon scorps (67+ now! Gah, it really does take forever) until I'd lose the status anyway.

I did indeed start a second account! Its a bit less flashy, though: An all-in-one crafter (as much as possible while still being usable, anyway), an all-in-one gatherer, and a Treasure Hunter/Fisher (who will pretty much just dig up treasure chests, hide, let my main characters kill off the spawn, and loot the goods like the scoundrel he is intended to be)

If I'm reading thing right, one can have up to three accounts, and each account can get extra character tokens through real- or in-game purchases. Starting out, 6 should be plenty, but I suspect I'll expand into the third account then start filling out the first accounts relatively soon.

Welcome to UOF (even if you have been here a short while). Make sure to stop by the Wiki (see top of the forums for link) as we do have some unique mechanics.

Have fun!

Yep, I've been looking over it and checking for differences. Mostly the same from my foggy memories of old, a few interesting surprises, and just a touch of mystery.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Yes, 3 accounts, 3 chars each, and the chance for 1 million gold to get a 4th char slot on the account I believe it is.. When you get to the point of buying a house, you'll need 1200 skill points on the account (so between all characters), plus 1 week playtime - many start up their third account, just so they can pass the time to put a house on it if they end up running over plots to place and sell, or want the home.. You can always buy skills to 50, to make up the 1200 skill points, but a week is a week.

The Treasure Hunter is a great way to make money, if you are using UO Steam I can definitely pass on some great macros and knowledge, to make that very efficient, and a good money generator.

I did much the same of you, planning out my path in UO, all the chars I wanted, getting them all started, but make sure you take some time to enjoy the characters you are making too.. I found at the very start, it was all coming back so quickly, and I wanted to do it all again, that I wasn't really enjoying what I was doing, but turning it into a full pledged grind, of 3 different screens at once.. Sometimes need to appreciate the journey again - it was when I started doing that, and making the social connections that I truly got hooked on the game again..

With you on enjoying the journey - I've made 3 warrior characters so far, just to throw them into the Brit newbie dungeon and hack/slash away! Been grouping up occasionally with the other young players, makes the mummies/liches/stone harpies a breeze (though it doesn't take long to get them at least soloable).