How about a viable reason to make/buy colored GM weapons??

SteelSexi

Master
Right now, colored metal (Shadow, Gold, Valorite etc) gives crafted armor a nice AR bonus, each higher grade metal adds even more AR to a crafted armor piece. (or it should when they get it worked out and working correctly from what I understand)

But what's the advantage to using 80-gold-per-ingot valorite ingots to craft a katana over an iron one? Sure, I know it gives it more durability.. but that's not good enough IMO.

So I suggest the following idea...

What about a change to give different metals different weights? Wouldn't this add some realism to it all? It don't have to be be increasing weight per each higher grade metal. But maybe something like this.. Iron seems like it would be heavier then copper for example. So maybe when crafted, perhaps an iron katana would weigh 9 stones, where as a copper katana might only weigh 6 stones. And maybe a valorite katana or kryss would weigh 11 stones, and each metal would have it's own weight that would apply to all crafted weapons. ..I'd suggest leaving the weight of the ingots all the same for simplicity and mining purposes, but when crafted into weapons, they have a certain weight impact.

The reason?

To make some weapons possibly be impossible for a disarm thief to steal. Duh.

Maybe if a katana was made of bronze, agapite, verite, or valorite then it would weigh at least 10 stones due to this proposed metal weight change and suddenly.. different colored metals would be the choice for some weapons and with this, colored metals would suddenly have a purpose when made into crafted weapons. And maybe the same metals that were preferred for a lighter weapon would be a bad option for a heavy weapon like a hally because they would be too heavy to swing efficiently.

Now, valorite wouldnt have to weigh more. Maybe valorite would weigh even less, but Verite would be the best possible choice for a too-heavy-to-steal katana or kryss.

With that, I understand we'd have to have balance. So maybe the heavier a weapon is, the slower the swing might be... OR maybe it would take a little more stamina to swing it. Not a lot. Just a minor tweak would make a world of different. But just a little something to balance it some.

I dunno. just a thought.

What do you all think of this idea? Maybe it's the dumbest idea ever suggested? - Or maybe you can add something to it. Anyhow, this is the place to talk about it here I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
Cool ideas, but I don't see them ever being implemented as the overall benefit for the work involved to make the changes probably doesn't balance out.

That said, in other UO shards, if you craft with a colored metal, the color doesn't typically transfer over. On UOF the color remains. If you ever fight a duel in the duel pits with a colored weapon, it falls under the "Runic" category. This is because the ruinic weapons are *supposed* to be the only weapons that retain the color of the metal they were made from. From a PvP perspective, it kinda sucks to see someone with a gold weapon, then just to find out that it was a colored weapon instead of a gold runic (when pulling it from their corpse :p ).

As far as it is right now, the durability issue is a big one as it means that the weapon can be repaired more times and still be useful, plus it will last longer in a fight, especially vs monsters. Personally I think that is enough of a bonus as is, but that's just me.

Btw, for me, the advantage of crafting weapons with different colors is so that I can charge more for them on my vendors, but to each their own.

SteelSexi

Master
Runic weapons aren't enough?

That's a runic weapon. I'm talking about all the everyday crafted weapons made with a standard smith hammer or tongs.

Wouldn't it seem realistic that different kinds of metal would have different weights after all? And wouldn't a change like this add yet another level of depth and give colored metals more of a purpose as well?

I'm not expecting such a change to actually be implemented. It's really just a random thought. Maybe it's a bad idea... {shrugs} - but let's combat my idea with more then saying runic weapons are enough when probably less then 5% of all weapons crafted and sold are runic weapons. I'm talking about the 95% here, not runics.

See, to add to my reasoning is this...

Right now a swords skilled player here has options for weapons to prevent a disarm thief from disarming and stealing their weapon. They can use and swing a hally with their swords skill for example.

But the problem I see and what made me even have this thought was "what about fencers?" A player now who is a GM fencer has NO WEAPON OPTION that I know of that can't be disarmed and stolen from them by thieves. My proposed idea could change this. Or perhaps, a lot simpler change could be making a long spear weigh 11 stones? I like my above mentioned idea more, but I can understand that it would likely be difficult to implement.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffe

Master
Someone mentioned that crafting with colored ore increased the chance of the weapon being a slayer.

SteelSexi

Master
Someone mentioned that crafting with colored ore increased the chance of the weapon being a slayer.

I've crafted a lot of weapons with colored ore, both with runic hammers and with a standard hammer, and haven''t noticed any increase in slayer weapon rates myself. I'm not saying whoever said that is wrong, just saying that an increased slayer weapon rate from colored ingots hasn't been obvious from my point of view.