How to curb inflation? Is any tax to much tax?

TheFallen

Grandmaster
TLDR; ok this will contain multiple ideas all around the idea of housing and economy;
-houses no longer decay, but instead you are required to pay "taxes" on your house a weekly or monthly fee.
-houses no long collapse but are instead In Danger of Entering Auction (idea) and when not funded are put up for auction.
Ok so if this interest you at all or if you would like to say how bad this is settle in for a long read and please read everything before making rash comments.

House(/boats) no longer requiring refreshing; houses instead are funded by gold (major gold sink) and will only be in danger if they are out of funds. The amount and frequency of payment I would suggest is 10% per month however im sure gms have a lot more information to go on. This would actually put a place for gold to be spent you can really create an interesting dynamic by removing the one house per account cap and the rich can buy towns and the poor can likely find houses easier because ppl will no longer just carry a house to sell at an inflated price down the road. If you allow your house to run out of funds the sign goes red and you have one week to pay. Any funds placed in the houses stash are lots if the house is demolished or traded.

The second step which does not HAVE to be implemented with the first; is to auction of any houses that are IDEA, this would essentially kills idocs as we know them and seems to be a very challenging coding challenge (which is why I have held onto this idea for a long time befor putting it to the forums but seeing what are crew can do here I do believe this would be possible) now what are the gains for this system? Yet again a gold sink instead of everything just staying on the server you would have to bid a minimum of 150% of the property value thus removing gold for items that used to just get redristrobuted. I would like to see this implemented by placing an auction board at the banks that list all houses on auction and you can click them to recall under sign and bid based on what you can see (storage wars style). To avoid the recall feature I think you should have to pay a full month to get house out of auction. This would hurt a very fun pvp aspect of the game and a certain economy (sorry kiki) but would it would do it provide a two gold sinks that with the proper ratios can drive players into the dungeon putting the world pvp back where it belongs and creating a whole new housing game in the storage wars style bidding and then walking into a house you just bought and one by one checking the chests for valuable items. This will create somewhere for gold to go away on mass as now gold is really not spent unless you are saving for massive items. This should drive the price of top end items down as there will be less gold floating around but make the gold you earn more valuable as you need to pay your taxes each month.

As an additional bonus I think it would be fun to add bank box auctions only telling you items / stones for banned accounts.
This could be implemented for houses owned by banned accounts only at first to try but if your going to do that coding I think its an all or nothing situation.

Ok if you've made it this far feel free to flame or agree or suggest tweaks.
Thanks,
TheFallen

TheFallen

Grandmaster
Your already paying it now. Except now it is called inflation, and inflation means its harder for new players to match players who got stuff when it was cheaper. A tax will put a player starting today on a more balanced field with players who started a year ago. Will actually make any gold you earn have more value.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
There is a strong player base. I would like to keep that and I would like to keep a working economy. There isnt any crazy influx of gold (100k/hr/player) is reasonable however when there is no reason to spend your gold with the exception of shinny pixels the few items that are desirable will become unattainable. A tax will help ensure the more active players can afford larger houses. Also there is more to the post then just the idea of a tax I would welcome you to add your thoughts to the whole post?

Kiki

Grandmaster
Both options you have suggested require too much work for the average player now. Houses would drop left and right because the average player of this game has a wife and kids. If you could no longer play the game you wanted to and the way you've played it for 15 years, but instead had to set aside half your time to be able to grind just to own a house, people would quit in a heartbeat.

Don't change housing for a gold sink, poor idea.

Instead, just take a high end donation item and give it a gold value. Such as they did for the cellar.

Blaze sandals would be too much and not enough people could afford them so it wouldn't work as well, but something like the forever robe as a gold sink would do very well.

This game mastered housing and a market for it. No other game has since. This isn't a dynamic you want to fuck with IMO.

Halpo

Master
Both options you have suggested require too much work for the average player now. Houses would drop left and right because the average player of this game has a wife and kids. If you could no longer play the game you wanted to and the way you've played it for 15 years, but instead had to set aside half your time to be able to grind just to own a house, people would quit in a heartbeat.

Don't change housing for a gold sink, poor idea.

Instead, just take a high end donation item and give it a gold value. Such as they did for the cellar.

Blaze sandals would be too much and not enough people could afford them so it wouldn't work as well, but something like the forever robe as a gold sink would do very well.

This game mastered housing and a market for it. No other game has since. This isn't a dynamic you want to fuck with IMO.
They need to make most items account or char bound for gold sink to really kick in and for house addons make them account bound placeable

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Idocs have been a fundamental aspect of the game just as much as player housing.
The limited space is what provides appeal.
The appeal is what brings group activity, pvp, commerce... all kinds of shit.
There's a reason idocs have remained in the game as long as they have.
I'm generally all ears when it comes to gold sinks. Because I agree, hell, I'm also VASTLY *FOR* making dono coins untradable.
I imagine, without donating, prices are pretty fuckin' exhaustive for new players, especially since VERY FEW people will accept gold as payment now since gold stays, and Dono coins appreciate.

I do like where your head's at though re: gold sinks, not bashing your idea at all...

But the only thing I would EVER think about changing about idocs would be to make them untimeable and/or randomize the timers.

Harken110

Expert
There is a strong player base. I would like to keep that and I would like to keep a working economy. There isnt any crazy influx of gold (100k/hr/player) is reasonable however when there is no reason to spend your gold with the exception of shinny pixels the few items that are desirable will become unattainable. A tax will help ensure the more active players can afford larger houses. Also there is more to the post then just the idea of a tax I would welcome you to add your thoughts to the whole post?

The problem with your tax on homes is that houses will go IDOC a lot less frequently therefore home prices will go through the roof making it unattainable for the new players to have one.

But I do agree that something needs to be done to curb inflation. This idea might not be in favor with others but perhaps upon death (by pvp or pvp &pvm) there should be a chance for certain items mostly armor & weapons and consumables (but not gold, SS, rares etc) to be destroyed.

Struan

Expert
What if IDOCs were left in place but all items inside a house that collapses go for auction?

The fight and tracking stays on for the properties but..

you have a list of items that go for a single bid...

Storage Wars Britannia!!

halygon

Grandmaster
I'll say it again on this thread.

Just because your idea contains a "Gold Sink" does not make it a good idea.
~halygon

Are you from Holy on uoforever? Cause they suggested the same damn thing in 2013. It was a bad idea then as it is now on this shard.

The problem is that it assumes that everyone has too much money and the shard needs to reduce that money to reduce inflation. You do know what they say when you "assume" something?

Most players do not have much money. Have you looked around at the houses? Lol most don't even have roofs because ppl cannot afford them. Let's face it, housing is already expensive as hell here and additional "taxes" that someone conjures up for a "gold sink" isn't going to make anything better or anyone happy.

I won't go into IDOCs but just know that they are a fundamental style of game play that takes exhaustive effort to do properly and is the only reason a lot of ppl play UO. I mean hell, there are entire guilds dedicated to IDOCing.

Jager

Grandmaster
i dont understand why theres this big push to get rid of IDOCs, personally i hate them and wont go near them, but there still a part of the game for a long time now, if you dont like them just dont go to them. and i think taxes or "rent" is silly, like kiki said its been this way for a while now.

Messremb

Grandmaster
while I agree this would be an affective gold sink I have decided I'm against it.

IDOCs are one of the few ways to make money that is not generating New gold, or items, in the economy, and I just cant justify destroying an entire play style, to fix an issues, that is not caused by that play style.

Just my 2 cents.

gucci mane

Apprentice
Then feel free to start a shard and have whatever you want. I have enough myself but without new players my stuff doesnt matter this is an online game and needs a strong player base to play.
you are hillarious haha why dont u go start a new shard with your shitty idoc tax idea 0: )??

TheFallen

Grandmaster
while I agree this would be an affective gold sink I have decided I'm against it.

IDOCs are one of the few ways to make money that is not generating New gold, or items, in the economy, and I just cant justify destroying an entire play style, to fix an issues, that is not caused by that play style.

Just my 2 cents.

I do hate the idea of idocs going away, but i do feel inflation needs to be stopped (or slowed at least) for the longevity of the shard. Currently there is NOTHING in this game that removes gold. There are some things that change gold into another form of commodity (pretty pixels) but almost no way to actually have gold(or gold equivelent) come out of the system. The reason I like the auction idea is it takes items that do not have an owner any more and essentially removes the gold equivelent from the system. This could be done no a smaller scale to keep idocs and still provide a constant gold sink by having the devs pick one house a week and auction it off.

As far as the "tax" is concerned its interesting when two different ppl argue against an idea stating houses will be dropping everywhere and another stating houses wont be dropping and no housing will be available. I personally beleive good location houses will still have great value and houses will still drop and actual more housing (mainly in the less desirable areas) will become available as ppl wont sit on plot if they have to pay for it. The amount can be low enough as to not make housing unattainable and could even be free for first house up to a certain storage and scale up per house on account ie. (5% first max stroage 7.5% second so on... all technicallities for the devs to find balance if the idea was implemented).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe its your occupation? cos i've noticed that most politicians are like that. They don't give a fuck about shit except their own "stuff"
I give a shit about other people's stuff too, Comrade.

P.S. This is a game.
P.P.S. In my country, most politicians lean to the left.