How to use Provo effectively

coreyotm

So I'm working on a provo/t-hunter with magery. I have never used provocation much in UO but everyone on the forums says its one of the best pvm skills, besides taming. I already GMed it, but I am always very clumsy with it even with just training.

I assume in an actual battle, you would use some razor hotkey targets- but what kind of setup? I haven't used those much either- the best I can think is maybe Target closest enemy and then target random enemy. However, you'd obviously want to provo the strongest thing and make it fight the second strongest. What do people usually do in this situation? And I can't click moving targets for shit.

I also noticed that if your instrument breaks or you drop it, that the provo prompt asks you what instrument to use, which always messes up my macros since I don't know how to accommodate for it.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

eppy

Grandmaster
Instruments hardly ever break. Its not even worth concerning yourself with. I just run up and pull bars and start provoing. If there are more than 2, keep kiting the others until you can get them. Provo isnt really that complicated. If you want to do target next on your mouse wheel, that would work but most mobs arent really fast enough. Paragons can indeed present some challenges however.

Tsuki

Journeyman
You could always use a hotkey linked to a macro that double clicks the instruments by type.. Whether followed by provo or on it's own... I just do it manually when it does happen (not very often as eppy said)

halygon

Grandmaster
I have a simple uosteam macro that just uses provoke but checks for that msg and if it sees it, finds and targets another instrument in my backpack

hoodfigure

Master
I've got a question about dat provo shiest... How come I see people provo stuff, and Hide or use Invis close to themobs and the mobs keep fighitng, but I have NEVER been able to do this, i've tried within LoS, directly next to, Directly on top of.. etc etc - Immediately breaks provo with hide or invis!

hoodfigure

Master
Yeah i've done both, hide/invis with all different angles and distances, and I have SEEN people use invis and the mobs keep fighting... possible bug?

sparc

Expert
I recommend using hotkeys in Razor for Use Provocation skill, Target Closest Grey, & Next Target. Will help out quite a bit, I recommend not using a macro to target.. Too many things go wrong.

I use Hide right next to mobs fighting all the time.. Invis? Not sure.

Nanashi

Grandmaster
Majority of the time you will be fighting two mobs at once or dragging one to another. I usually cast Deamons if they are extremely fast or cast tons of flamestrikes or poison. I don't think it is possible to cast invisiblity and have the mobs fight each other. Because from what I see, if you leave the screen of where they are provo'd it will just cancel out. So in a way you are leaving the room :D As far as my targets in hotkeys I do F1 target closest grey, F2- target self, F3- Last target, F4 - target red, F-5 Target Oh I forget haha, but it does help to hold shift+ctrl to drag the monsters health bar in order to provo a litle easier.

Humble_Shark

Apprentice
You can hide, not invis. It worked fine for me when i used to do it.

You guys sure that hiding will work with provo? I'm positive that Invis does not work.

If hiding works, then I'm going to drop something to gain GM hiding.

I think though, if the monster targets you, and then you provo it onto something else, you cannot hide (you get the message "you cannot hide at this time" or something like that). In that case, maybe Invis for just a second pop out again (to get the monster off you) and then hide?

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
I'm 100% sure hiding won't break your provo as I do it all the time.

I think though, if the monster targets you, and then you provo it onto something else, you cannot hide (you get the message "you cannot hide at this time" or something like that). In that case, maybe Invis for just a second pop out again (to get the monster off you) and then hide?

The only reason you wouldn't be able to hide is if theres another monster targetting you. If not, just tab out after you provo the mob and you should be able to hide

halygon

Grandmaster
You guys sure that hiding will work with provo? I'm positive that Invis does not work.

If hiding works, then I'm going to drop something to gain GM hiding.

Here is what my Provo/Mage/T-hunter's skills are for your reference:

1. Magery
2. Meditation
3. Musicianship
4. Provocation
5. Cartography
6. Lockpicking
7. Hiding

Humble_Shark

Apprentice
The only reason you wouldn't be able to hide is if theres another monster targetting you. If not, just tab out after you provo the mob and you should be able to hide

Doh! Yup, that's probibly it...never thought of just tabbing out and trying to hide.

Thinking of making this char a provo/mage/T-hunter though. Would diversify my account. Although, Lockpicking seems like such an epic grind. Maybe I'll sub with fishing and find someone that wants to LP for gains?

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
That would be an awesome money maker thats for sure. Lockpicking isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. You can macro it to 95 with tinker made boxes. 95+ you have to do in dungeons or pick paragon chests. Theres plenty of dungeon chests available, I have a couple lockpicking runebooks locked down at my Ocllo bank house. Khaldun can make you quite a bit of gold by picking those chests :)

halygon

Grandmaster
That would be an awesome money maker thats for sure. Lockpicking isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. You can macro it to 95 with tinker made boxes. 95+ you have to do in dungeons or pick paragon chests. Theres plenty of dungeon chests available, I have a couple lockpicking runebooks locked down at my Ocllo bank house. Khaldun can make you quite a bit of gold by picking those chests :)
Yeah Khaldun is a money maker for sure -- some of those chests rock like 2.5k each and that doesn't include the loot also.

I got a lockpicking runebook also at my vendor house. I believe I have seen them at the other big rune libraries too, whatever is easiest for you.

Humble_Shark

Apprentice
Here is what my Provo/Mage/T-hunter's skills are for your reference:

1. Magery
2. Meditation
3. Musicianship
4. Provocation
5. Cartography
6. Lockpicking
7. Hiding

What are your stats on this char? LP and Cart are completely new to me, never trained or used them. Thinking I might copy or tweak this a little:)

halygon

Grandmaster
What are your stats on this char? LP and Cart are completely new to me, never trained or used them. Thinking I might copy or tweak this a little:)
IDK, stats are not that important for this build so I think i use a generic mage stat template like: 95str 30dex 100int

Kraden

Grandmaster

Thts good to know if u invis it breaks provo