I miss magic jewelry.

Doobey Magee

Grandmaster
Does anyone else remember having a bag of magic jewelry in the bank?
Little brackets with 30 teleport charges.
Or earrings that put bless on you?
I can't really remember cause its been a very very long time.
But I loathe a bland loot table.

I miss magic wands too. I mean maybe I've just not seen any, but back in the day it was pretty awesome to get a lightning or fireball wand with 20-40 charges.

This is less of a suggestion or complaint, and more of a faded nostalgic memory.
I always liked that stuff.

Lots of stuff seems a little off, and I'm sure most has very good reasons.
I played between back when stealing a house key was stealing a house.

But I guess my suggestion is more old school uo?
I remember when you made a new character one of your first priorities was magic resist.... It held a huge value. You got it up to 60 or 70 before going anywhere. Now its optional. Weird.

Magic jewelry is annoying. Just another tool to get that kill shot on someone when you can't do it with the skills and tools available to you. Or to tele hide...lol

Magic resist is not optional in PvP unless you have scribe and run away from fights if you don't win in 10 seconds...

Maybe I am alone on this but I disagree with your entire post.

Though stealing a house key to steal a house would be fun...

Chongo

Neophyte
I also miss magic jewelry and wands, although I suspect that their absence has something to do with PVP balance.

But what I really miss is like you said, housing being more of a challenge. When you could just put stuff on the floor and it wouldn't decay, maybe you had fewer lockdowns/secures idk. But you had to take steps to make your house secure and thieves had a greater chance at actually stealing real loot, not just little trinkets here and there.

eppy

Grandmaster
IBut you had to take steps to make your house secure.

Of all the things about original UO i miss, the housing situation isnt really one of them. I dont mind the keys, but not being able to rekey was damn terrible. I lost a tower < an hour after placing it. (Got it back after they put in ownership though, since I placed and kept the key)

Lavos

Master
Old housing system was really fun for thieves (by comparison, there isn't a whole lot of fun for thieves to be had in this iteration of UO). Some of my fondest memories of UO were doing this:

-Stealth up to a house and wait patiently on the steps
-sneak inside when the house owner opened the door to leave/enter
-loot and run

Also, I remember using shields or some specific item to create "stairs" you could walk up on, to get over those little table walls that people would put up to separate the public part of their house from private.

Back then, items/loot was how it was supposed to be - disposable, susceptible, and you really had to take strong measures to protect your stuff. Barely anything was blessed and you really had to utilize skills like tracking and whatnot to make sure you could exit your house safely.

On the topic of magic jewelry, I suspect we will see some new items coming up in the expansion (they are adding 100-120 tinkering). This would make tinkering a viable tradeskill and give some use to those jewelry bless deeds. If the jewelry gave a few AR or something each, and were accessible to everyone, I don't see how these could unbalance PvP in any way.

Doobey Magee

Grandmaster
Well like I said I'm sure they aren't in the game for a reason.
But I still miss them.
I loved the teleport braclets.
And the greater heal wands.
I mean I played before meditation and stealth for sure. And I repeat I get why the game has changed, but I'm playing this for nostalgia.
Any gear that helps a pk can help you against a pk.
I bet a Tele bracket would save me from a couple deaths.
And bless earring? Who doesn't want that?

On the house subject I actually like that houses can't be stolen like that anymore.. but can't be robbed? What a safe world. We used to put chests with 500 ore in them all around the.entrance to the house. So after entering you had nowhere to go but logging out which took time since it wasn't your house.. a Lil detect hidden and a quick kill kept your stuff safe.

And magic resist is totally optional now. It's like 25%
It's an ebolt hitting u for 40 or 50. At gm.....
In the beginning it was 600 points to a template cause resist had to be there so someone didn't run up with a magic arrow flamestrike kill.

kurtis

Grandmaster
I have heard Shane make it clear that he wants the PvP to be less item-based. In other words, he doesn't want someone to be at a disadvantage just because they don't want to carry tons of items. This was one of the things that drew my into the server. To that point, I like the lack of wands and magic jewelry.

As for houses being full-loot, I agree with you and I miss the old lootable houses so much. But my hunch is that people will just leave the server if their house got looted. This game is just too old to be losing people like that. There's a lot of high-level server population analysis that goes into these kinds of decisions.