1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing Dungeon Altars and Fafnir

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Staff, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Staff

Staff PR Manager

Feb 11, 2013
    Admin Post
    Over the past couple weeks, we have been working on boss monsters that will work in conjunction with dungeon altars. A dungeon altar was an idea put forward by one of our players, Bardley. Dungeon altars will be in each of the classic UO dungeons and will spawn a dungeon related monster.

Dungeon Altar
    Dungeon altars will be located in each dungeon. When an altar is placed, it will start spawning dungeon crystals on all mobs within the dungeon region. A dungeon altar is charged with these crystals. Dungeon altars can only be charged once per 8 hours.

To charge an altar with a crystal, double click the altar and target the crystal. You can also target your backpack or sub packs within your backpack and it will search for all valid crystals.

All dungeon altars will award a talisman relic. To be eligible for a chance at the relic, you must contribute to progressing the altar. At the end of the boss fight, there is a small chance that someone who contributed will receive a relic straight to their bank. You do not need to be alive or in range of the boss/altar for this to happen. The more crystals you contribute, the greater chance you have to win the relic.

Dungeon Crystal
    Dungeon crystals will spawn on all mobs at death on a 5% chance. Dungeon crystals will only spawn if a dungeon altar is placed in that specific dungeon region. Dungeon crystals will decay after 24 hours, so there is really no point in not charging the altar with them.

So far, we only have the Destard encounter coded. We are going to try and make each boss unique with at least 3 abilities. Each boss will have an associated conquest. All of the bosses will drop an item that can negate its abilities for your next encounter with him. They will also drop a title and have a chance to drop some uber rares!

Fafnir, Son of Glaurung [​IMG]
    Fafnir, a dragon straight out of the sagas. He is a deadly dragon that will stop at nothing to avenge the death of his progenitor. He uses his deadly fire breath to melt flesh from bone of all who oppose him.

Fafnir has three abilities: Flame Spew, Crucible and Wing Vacuum. Fafnir also takes double damage from all melee based attacks.

Fafnir's Abilities
    • Flame Spew
      • A 180° frontal flame breath attack.
      • Leaves flames on the ground that last for 1 minute. Each flame will tick for 5 damage per second you stand on it.
      • Casting wall of stone can block the attack (if you cast it fast enough after the emote).
      • Fafnir will emote *Flames begint to spew from Fafnir's mouth* prior to casting this ability.
    • Crucible
      • An instant death spell. It impacts all creatures and players in a 12 tile radius.
      • Has a very long cast time. About 10 seconds from the time he emotes. This should be plenty of time to get you and your pets out of the ability.
      • Each player or creature that is caught in the crucible will die and spawn a fire elemental.
      • Will emote *Begins casting Crucible* when he used the ability.
    • Wing Vacuum
      • Fafnir flaps his wings, creating a vacuum which will draw all creatures and players in a 10 tile radius towards him.
      • This ability will dismount you, stun you and drag you closer to Fafnir every second.
      • It ticks for 10 seconds, with each second drawing you closer and damaging you.
      • Will emote *Begins flapping its wings to draw its prey in closer* when he used this ability.
    Fafnir's Loot
    • Sigurd's Shield [​IMG]
      • This shield is a common drop from the boss.
      • Has the ability to block Fafnir's flame based attacks.
    • Title Scroll - Dragonbane [​IMG]
      • Awarded to the highest damager on Fafnir.
      • Drops 100% of the time.
    • Fafnir's Head [​IMG]
      • Special text reads - The stuffed and mounted head of the legendary dragon, Fafnir.
      • Uncommon drop.
      • Also has a chance to spawn with this hue: [​IMG]
    • Sigurd's Armor [​IMG]
      • A piece of armor belonging to the legendary dragonslayer, Sigurd.
      • Very rare drop.
      • Comes in the form of:
        • Chain leggings
        • Chain chest
        • Plate gloves
        • Dragon gorget
        • Dragon helm
        • [​IMG]
      • Special text reads - An old piece of armor said to belong to the dragonslayer Sigurd.
    • Balmung [​IMG]
      • Does the crucible visual effect when equipped.
      • Uber rare drop.
      • Special text reads - A legendary sword which is said to contain the essences of one thousand slain dragons.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
    24 people like this.
  2. God.RG

God.RG Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2013
    straight into the bank? wtf.. TRAMMEL INCOMING.

"All dungeon altars will award a talisman relic. To be eligible for a chance at the relic, you must contribute to progressing the altar. At the end of the boss fight, there is a 25% chance that someone who contributed will receive a relic straight to their bank. You do not need to be alive or in range of the boss/altar for this to happen. The more crystals you contribute, the greater chance you have to win the relic."
    @Adam this is not UO, man.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. kurtis

kurtis Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Well done

4. Bromista

Bromista Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Baller.

5. Seymore

Seymore Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Wow sweet... great stuff.

6. Staff

Staff PR Manager

Feb 11, 2013
    Admin Post

It isn't meant to be like a power scroll. It is meant to be an exclusive reward for those who put in the work to spawn the boss (so people actually try to spawn it).

19 people like this.
  7. kurtis

kurtis Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    I see your point but my guess is that this is the logic:

It takes a long time to spawn the boss. So much time that you basically have to do a UO marathon to both sit there contributing and then be present for the actual spawning. It incentives people to actually contribute even though they can't spend 4+ hours working on the boss.

We saw this problem when they tested the altar on the Arch Daemon, and those crystals spawned on every mob and those mobs died in like 2 hits. The Destard crystals spawn 5% of the time and the mobs are much tougher.

I don't know if this is the answer, but there needs to be some incentive to turn in crystals even if you can't spend hours and hours waiting for the boss spawn.

6 people like this.
  8. Bromista

Bromista Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Wait, do the crystals spawn on corpses 5% or 25%?

Might be a typo in the OP.

9. Belge

Belge Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    All dungeon altars will award a talisman relic.

- does that mean just dexer relics? or meta dragon relics as well?

10. Staff

Staff PR Manager

Feb 11, 2013
    Admin Post
    Just the talisman relics.

2 people like this.
  11. Zoobler

Zoobler Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Spider, Petyr Baylish
    God I love uof

12. Lexington

Lexington Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    This is the best idea since the beginning of UO.... We'll done Bradley / Adam!!

2 people like this.
  13. Skinch

Skinch Active Member

Dec 3, 2013
    yay bardley / adam !!

fuck griefers.

2 people like this.
  14. Vince[Tharakus]

Vince[Tharakus] Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Tharakus
    Completely and unequivocally the best I've seen yet!
    Awesome job!!!! Now I know what you were testing with the Arch Daemon!!!
    A Million High-Fives @Adam and @bradley-

4 people like this.
  15. dobber

dobber Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2015
    dailyllama
    This is very cool.

I was wondering what about wrist/arm Sigurd armor drop that wasn't included. Mistake? Or will I need to show off my Popeye arms while wearing the rest of the suit?

16. Ludwig

Ludwig Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Losing track of the amazing content.

17. Mark Wainwright

Mark Wainwright Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Grizard
    I like the idea!

18. asics

asics Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2013
    IlTamatore - Florencia
    In very happy of this mod.. I also suggested it myself like 1.5 Year ago. But im really happy that Bradley got attention and Adam liked it :)

Great :) i will try it for sure

2 people like this.
  19. hoodfigure

hoodfigure Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014

^ This

This is what the game should be about. Anyone crying that this isn't trammel blah blah are just the shitty pks that look to kill the bards/fighters that do the actual work and feel the need to brag about it on the forums. Trammel blah - if PS were blessed you'd have a lot more people doing spawns garunteed. You PKS can still do a champ spawn from start to finish and spawn the champ, so when you say *working the champ spawn* you actually do it. If PS were blessed you wouldn't be there at all. The only thing trammel about champ spawns is the ability to do PvPVM.

2 people like this.
  20. Skye Wolfbane

Skye Wolfbane Governor of Trinsic

Jan 22, 2013
    Skye Wolfbane, Lynnissia Leoden, Hunter Lorde, Calico Jack, Jade Nevaeh
    God, so there's one thing you can't kill someone to steal. Quit complaining already.
    Just play the game and actually put some work into something instead of bitching you can't steal/pk it from someone who does. I promise you, it won't be terrible. You may even have fun. And maybe stop being so negative for 5 min.

Nice work Adam!

27 people like this.