Invisibility jewelry

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Is there a good reason why this is not in game?

I utilized it with my characters on offical servers to work my way out of jams vs larger groups.

It takes a lot of skill points at the expense of pvp skills to use a stealth character that can be easily nullified by a reveal spell or a tracker.

The rogue class can always use some love as usually stated by @Darkarna

Good reasons against it?
Thanks.

lollo

Grandmaster

I utilized it with my characters on offical servers to work my way out of jams vs larger groups.

It takes a lot of skill points at the expense of pvp skills to use a stealth character that can be easily nullified by a reveal spell or a tracker.

Good reasons against it?
Thanks.

yeah, now you can script shit which means crazy macros with magic jewellery. Not gonna happen

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Can you elaborate how scripting with invis jewelry could possibly be op? That you could just keep taking it on and off? It wears down quick if you run with it on. And it would wear down just as quick if you were toggling it on and off.

Good reasons against it?
Thanks.
Because you could technically create a stealth character without hiding.

Streets

Grandmaster
Actually I like this idea as well and it is era correct for this shard.

It can't be any more over powering than wands, crazy purple pots metas and such. Even if you can't move it buys you a second to regroup. It's not like we don't have enough mechanics to break players out of steath/invis here.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Thanks for some of the feedback guys. Its just a nice option that helps some solo players avoid detection as opposed to instantly recalling.

It really can burn through charges quick. Especially if you run with it. And with how easily 100 skill points can be negated by one spell. It doesnt seem like it is asking for that much. Just an item that was already in game forever and gives some additional utility.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
And god. Just an fyi you couldnt make a practical stealth character with jewelry . As it still uses one charge per tile.

And god. Just an fyi you couldnt make a practical stealth character with jewelry . As it still uses one charge per tile.
Pretty sure the skill check for stealth/hiding is done only after 9-12 steps (forget the exact number). Razor/UOS/Sallos all have step counters for this reason.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
And thats fair. I definitely dont like how much of a staple exp potions are here. But meh. Is what it is.

Just like to see the rogue class get a bit of love.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I don't know how invisibility jewelry worked, did it actually cast the spell to invis you? or just make you invis on the spot without casting a spell/using mana? If it's the latter I have several issues with it. In essence, this is a rogue/dexxer item only since mages have the spell?

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
It instantly casts invisibility. Anybody can use it. As its quicker also than casting invis. But ya it does favor the rogue class. But i dont think it is near as op as some may believe.

I used them tons on offical servers to give myself a slight edge vs ganks. But whats wrong with that?

Also the rogue class has been nerfed with safe zones at wbb and detect hidden npcs in britain. Perhaps in some other ways that @Darkarna knows of.

Anyways i am obviously just making a case for it as i do main a solo stealther. But also because it was in original uo. Its not like asking for new mechanics and items.

The counter feedback is great. Still enjoying the input.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't know how invisibility jewelry worked, did it actually cast the spell to invis you? or just make you invis on the spot without casting a spell/using mana? If it's the latter I have several issues with it. In essence, this is a rogue/dexxer item only since mages have the spell?
It definitely casted the spell but did not use mana. It worked exactly like wands. My only experience is from 1999 or so, but there wasn't a cooldown either from what I remember. All of that said, we can pretty much put in whatever types of guardrails we wanted if we ever did something like this - so historical mechanics are just anecdotal.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
To be honest, I don't know how I feel about it. If the cast time is too low, I could picture as a mage, a teleport, pop ring macro, that will get me off screen and hide, shaking the attacker easily that way, and then recalling out. Seems almost too easy. Hiding is a skill currently, and while it is a skill that can be negated pretty quickly, that's the point of different skills being able to negate another persons strength while having a weakness of your own

A hiding ring would basically remove the need for anyone ever to add 100 points in hiding to their template. I suppose the trade off to this would be that the ring itself wouldn't be blessed, and could be taken. I'm torn. I like the idea of more templates, more options, I think it's required, yet the benefit of an item like this I'd see as giving those who are already extremely good at managing numbers, another out, making them even harder to beat, and I don't think you'd get added bonus elsewhere.. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.. hence the torn.

Could you use one of these just to break line of sight on an explo sync? I think you probably could? But to halygon's point they could be implemented with restrictions (cast time) drawbacks to make them work..

Anyways I'll let you all talk it out, I don't know that I know enough about them to really add to the convo.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Ya no cooldown as you mentioned. But it burns one charge a tile. If you forget to take it off and start running around it does not hide you again. Just wastes charges.

Ranker

Master
Thanks for some of the feedback guys. Its just a nice option that helps some solo players avoid detection as opposed to instantly recalling.

It really can burn through charges quick. Especially if you run with it. And with how easily 100 skill points can be negated by one spell. It doesnt seem like it is asking for that much. Just an item that was already in game forever and gives some additional utility.

More options the better I feel, However you have to take into consideration the tech and scripting/macros you can do these days. I mean you could always do so, but not on the level of today. So as with most things it could get abused. Unless you make them rare, and only have 1-5 charges each. I dunno would be cool to have more things to use and such, I miss rares as well but that's for a different thread.

jkg8787

Master
I like it.

Although I don't necessarily like being able to move with them on (even if it uses charges). No real reasoning other than that'd drive me insane if ANY character could now become a stealther essentially.

But I wouldn't mind a ring that just invis's you.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
If you move with it on it uses a charge but does not rehide you. Must unequip and reequip to become invis again.