Is it ok to make new account for young player to camp idoc?

Keno W.

Expert
I'm starting to see (young) players camping idocs and really the only way to compete with it is to do the same thing..?

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
I doubt the people are new and are just exploiting the feature of the status. They can't place, but they can watch it. You can't watch the sign status as a ghost so it figures people would start doing stupid crap like this.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Shane has said before if u page in they will remove a young players young status if they dont leave the area. people have been abusing it to take items and be unattackable for months.

just page in

Last edited by a moderator:

Keno W.

Expert
I'm thinking along the same lines, just exploiting the young feature. Ok thanks for the info Malkraven!

halygon

Grandmaster
Shane has said before if u page in they will remove a young players young status if the dont leave the area people have been abusing it to take items and be unattackable for months.

just page in
^^This. Abusing the young status to do IDOCs is a quick way to get your young status removed. Just page a GM to get them to take care of the young player.

Shouldn't the young status only work for the first 8 or so in-game hours?
I believe its more like 40 hours or 500 skill points -- whichever comes first.

Sewer Rat

Journeyman
Young status should instantly remove itself if you go anywhere but brit, the brit gy or newb dungeon. This exploitation is getting old. Its ridiculous seeing glorious lord "youngs" with full invuln and vanqs.

amonseti

Grandmaster
Young status should instantly remove itself if you go anywhere but brit, the brit gy or newb dungeon. This exploitation is getting old. Its ridiculous seeing glorious lord "youngs" with full invuln and vanqs.
Agreed .. in some manner .. I think there should be certain area's that players with young status can not go..if they try they would be prompted with an option to remove young status if they wish to continue .. other wise they would be forced blocked from entering .

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I've seen:

1. Young players camping IDOCs for hours
2. Young players farming Shame 5 for days on end
3. Young players being used as scouts for faction base fights

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
Just wondering why there isn't a gump that gives option to revoke young or stay in Brit/gy/newb dungeon when trying to leave those areas or recall out... Seriously.

Target

Neophyte
I'm down for whatever is the best solution here- especially if it prevents this type of crap from going on.

I've seen the young status abused so much on EA/OSI that I'm leery of specific "young players", especially those who are obviously far too kitted out in high-end gear. I realize how little I've seen of the world that is UOF, especially when these folks show up and begin shredding through things like tissue paper, with obviously defined strategies.

I don't really mind if young status is modified just a temporary title with access to the new player dungeon being the only perk... and this is coming from a young player on the shard. I'm not sure how people with little to no UO experience would handle it.

My story (short version):

When I started playing UO for the first time, within two minutes I managed to open a trapped pouch and die; lost my spellbook and scrolls; and turned red in the same day (Notoriety system & collective area skillgain! [damn campfires]) simply by cutting up corpses.

Karma came in not too long afterwards, and I went from red to "Rude".

So, I got addicted and kept playing...so much controlled insanity. :D

Just my two cents... just sayin'.

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
I don't think not allowing them to leave town is the answer.They may want to roam around and explore. They may not realize the borders of Brit and take one wrong step and BOOM. But I have always thought 40 hours is waaaaaay too long. Just last night when doing Companion work, I found a young afk mining. They should get 8 hours..no skill set because I've seen some just 4x GM to avoid losing the status, then after 8 hours, it's gone. They can remain in the NEW guild if they feel they would like more guidance or whatever.

Weland

Grandmaster
Well I know that when you enter a dungeon while young it pops up saying hey if you enter here mobs will attack you. If it was implemented to include upon entering this dungeon you forfeit your young player status while in the dungeon. This could be applied to all higher end dungeons and the second lvl of other dungeons like shame for example. Let them fight on the first floor but if you go deeper be prepared for the consequences.

Young players should be free to roam around the world. I don't know how you do your player report que, but if you are able to make a "Young Abuse" in the page a gm process that has a higher priority that could prevent IDOC Camping. This also means that they don't get away with pillaging an IDOC safely while a GM is removing great harts from a castle, just as an example.

Weland

Grandmaster
If you give some one an inch they will take a mile, people feel clever when they find a loop to exploit. It's like a little high for them.