Let's do some fishing shall we!

Olivier

Master
Alright, I usually play as a tamer however the last couple of months there's been a lot of new tamers coming around and the dungeons are getting more and more crowded, same goes with the champ spawns, it's not as solid gold as it was two months ago.

With that being said taming is still a really profitable profession, it's easy money as long as the spots I have in my book aren't already being farmed.

Anyhow I made a fisher some time ago, however I didn't fish for mib's until recently, and I discovered it being almost as profitable as taming, and a lot easier and more safe.

I decided to make some statistics on fishing, my fisherman has 120 fishing, however I'm not sure it matters that much.

The last four nights I've been fishing up some of the SOS's, to be exact, 100 of them.

The chests contain some gold, reagents, gems and a lot of magical weapons.

What I've done is identifying all magical items and sold them to NPC's at town, I've only kept the "good" ones, vanquishing and power weapons, such as kryss's, halberds, spears, war forks etc.

This is what 100 chest's gave me:

1,084,000 gold (counting gold inside chests + magical items sold to vendor)
92 sapphire's
109 ruby's
111 star sapphire's
99 diamond's
95 amber's
98 amethyst's
101 tourmaline's
92 emerald's
112 citrine's
5,554 garlic's
6,051 blood moss's
5,624 spider silk's
6,589 nightshade's
5,663 black pearl's
5,946 ginseng's
5,855 sulfurous ash's
4,861 mandrake root's
99 special fishing nets (normal hue)
1 special fishing net (mica hue)​

During this period I fished up Osideron twice, looting an anchor and a small fishing net.

Also I fished up about 10 new mib's and one ancient one from the sea serpants that spawned whilst trying to fish up the chests.

Approximately time spent:

Adding SOS's to UOAM - 1 hour
Fishing up chest's - 12 hours
Emptying, organizing and identifying chest inventory - 3 hours
Selling magical items to NPC's - 1 hour

Total time about 17 hours.​

Earnings:

Reagents value: ~140,000 gold
Gems value: ~42,000 gold
Chest value: 1,084,000 gold
Magical weapons value: 50,000 gold (the one's that I kept)
Special fishing net mica hue: 40,000 gold (just a guess)
Anchor value: 150,000 gold (also just a guess)
Small fishing net value: 400,000 gold (also just a guess)

Total value: 1,906,000 gold

Income per hour: ~112,000 gold​

I'd like to add that it took a while to fish up 100 mibs as well, however I've been doing this without paying too much attention to it, also, the current market value of a message in a bottle is about 3,500 gold, which still makes this very profitable.

UPDATE
So after some discussion about how long time you actually have to spend in order to fish up 100 MIB's, and
whether or not it's a big difference on how many bottles that you fish up depending on your fishing skill I decided to make some statistics about this as well, as I mentioned earlier my fisherman has 120 fishing, and I only have one fisherman so it takes quite some time for me to get those damn bottles.

Now before you judge the fishing skill too much, be aware that these values vary a lot depending on your luck, I've actually had a run once which almost lasted for three hours, without getting a single sea serpent. I also had a run for one hour which resulted in around 10 bottles. And judging by the post's in this thread there's a lot of people who had similar runs, both good and bad, so you can never count on getting a steady income regarding bottles.

I did ten hours of fishing and this is what those greedy serpents decided to drop to me.

1 ancient message in a bottle
34 regular messages in a bottle
31 treasure maps (plainly drawn)
26 special fishing nets (all default hue)
In other words 3.4 MIB's / hour (not counting the ancient bottle)

This means that it roughly takes me about 30 hours of fishing in order to get 100 bottles, which would change the hourly income of the above statistics to:
~40.5k / hour

So unless you're not too bothered to actually fish these bottles up, buy them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Jezus

Expert
I agree its a great money just started and made decent cash and grab even better weapons and very safe...FUCK THE PIRATES!

Bromista

Grandmaster
Nice, thanks Olivier. Making my fisher very soon so it's good to know I should hold off on doing much fishing unless it's peak hrs in dungeons/until expansion.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I'd like to think so. Check the V&V post to review the specifics and cite them here! I forget the changes listed but iirc there were additions that weren't just boat related but rares/mobs/loots additions as well.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Glad to see someone offering empirical data for the greatness that is fishing. It'll also be good to cite in the future when raising licensing costs.

PS: You little bastards get your ships legal!

Bromista

Grandmaster
Man I gotta tell you, I don't want to get licensed as much as I want to. It's like...how frequently am I gonna run into you guys, and when I do will a good time be had by all?

On the fence on this one.

Nukeworker

Apprentice
First off thx for damn detailed info you gave us :)

I have a freshly trained elder fisherwoman..and I to decided to stable my pets for a while ;-) But i have some quesions

1. Wha kind of map utility you guys use? UOAM doesnt work anymore..well it did a few montths ago but stopped again...no idea why
2. how can you sail and fish at the same time..well i recorded a macro with resync in the beginning of the macro but i get the message i am too far away ..so it seems ithe boat must stop when you fish?
3. Will Elder fisherman be enough after the coming of High Seas?

Olivier

Master
Hi,

I use UOAM 9.0 beta, it's working great for me.

You can't fish and sail at the same time. You have to stop the boat once you wish to start fishing!

I have honestly no idea whether or not there's even going to be any new content fishing wise in the expansion. I can't recall that they've wrote it in the details. However I believe that you need 115 in skill in order to have a chance to pull up Osiredon while fishing mibs!

Good luck!

Nukeworker

Apprentice
Ahh thx for the info..Well I do have a 120 fisher on the Shard Europa..as some of you know you can fish and sail at the same time...I just downloaded uoam again...connected it with my verified map Archive..everthing is ok as Long as i dont sail..if i walk mounted or unmounted the map updates my current Position...But if i sail it wont? I have recall out then back in to update my position

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
You need to create a resynch hotkey, and either include it in your fishing macro or use it manually. Another thing you can do is sail northeast or southwest, as it uses the old "teleporting" sailing, which will resynch your whole ship and anyone on it.

Hi,

I use UOAM 9.0 beta, it's working great for me.

You can't fish and sail at the same time. You have to stop the boat once you wish to start fishing!

I have honestly no idea whether or not there's even going to be any new content fishing wise in the expansion. I can't recall that they've wrote it in the details. However I believe that you need 115 in skill in order to have a chance to pull up Osiredon while fishing mibs!

Good luck!

So i have a Question i downloaded UOAM 9.0 beta and it is "working" but the map is all black.... what am i missing?

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Click map -> UO data files location settings. Make sure its pointing to the UO client folder (usually c:\program files (x86)\electronic arts\Ultima Oline Classic).

serf

Journeyman
I used to fish on GL and I am planning on doing so here. What is Osiredon? I remember the krakens, leviathans, and sea serpents, but not this Osiredon you mention...

Also, from what I remember, I used an archer/healer to do these (that part is hazy); would that be sufficient for everything that may spawn?

It was always fairly profitable, I am glad that is still the case. Thank you for taking the time to amass and present this data Oliver.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Osiredons are a somewhat UOF specific monster that has a rare chance of spawning on your ship instead of one of the water elementals when pulling up a MiB while you have at least 115+ Fishing. They have special Osiredon-specific rares they can drop, like hanging nets, hooks, anchors, etc.

serf

Journeyman
Ahh I see. Thank you for the info Dewde.

Do your licenses come with an A.E.D. and EMT service in case I fall unconscious at sea?

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Of course. Licensed protection includes recovery at sea, but we provide useful tips to prevent the need to call upon us as time wasted can lead to goods lost.