Lumberjacking skill gain

Articarius

Novice
So I just got done harvesting about 9k worth of boards, and raised the skill 0.3 (currently around 90 skill). I don't remember what it was like back in the day on the OSI shards, so I don't know if it is slow gain.

I understand, and believe, it should take quite some time to GM on skills, but I'm noticing that the skill increases much faster while hunting mobs out in the woods. Fair enough- I know how to increase my skill more efficiently, but it seems that a skill that is supposed to be about harvesting wood would increase more through, well, harvesting wood.

halygon

Grandmaster
You would think so, however I have noticed a definately advantage in skill gain when using more than one skill at a time. ..ie.. When you are hunting, you use tactics, swords, lumberjack, anat, and healing. When I macro magery I typically do other skills at the same time.

Also if you hunt in a dungeon, you will gain LJ even faster.

But yeah, it would make sense to gain better at LJ when actually lumberjacking. You do know you can chop trees in wind and get the dungeon bonus there?

sparc

Expert
yeah, it's terribly slow around where you are.. I think a previous poster is correct, if you want to GM.. grab an axe & head to the dungeon for gains.

Oh, and yes.. it was definitely this bad when I started out as an LJ'er in the late 90's.

tkjerner

I remember UO as tough and hard, and that was what I liked about it. I fought chickens and died on my first day back ind the day.
I remember getting my first skill to Grand Master. It was a struggle and I was really satisfied... And still I had four 7*GM chars so really I would have liked to have seen the game even harder...
So I started UO Forever and hoped to find that same toughness. But I was very disappointed to find myself already 2 times GM when my [Young] status was removed after 9 hours of gameplay even though I spend most of my gaming time messing with the interface. This is way way WAAAY to easy. The skill system is only really in affect for new chars then. I had hoped to still have skills to improve after years of playing. When I stared playing games the term "game over" was common in most games. The consept of loosing is almost unknown today. I can't feel like a winner if I "win" with no effort and I can't loose.
Have people gone into total Care-bear mode? I want skills halved when you die or something! I want teenagers to cry over the game.

Skvat

I remember UO as tough and hard, and that was what I liked about it. I fought chickens and died on my first day back ind the day.
I remember getting my first skill to Grand Master. It was a struggle and I was really satisfied... And still I had four 7*GM chars so really I would have liked to have seen the game even harder...
So I started UO Forever and hoped to find that same toughness. But I was very disappointed to find myself already 2 times GM when my [Young] status was removed after 9 hours of gameplay even though I spend most of my gaming time messing with the interface. This is way way WAAAY to easy. The skill system is only really in affect for new chars then. I had hoped to still have skills to improve after years of playing. When I stared playing games the term "game over" was common in most games. The consept of loosing is almost unknown today. I can't feel like a winner if I "win" with no effort and I can't loose.
Have people gone into total Care-bear mode? I want skills halved when you die or something! I want teenagers to cry over the game.
Oh I cant agree more. The dissapointment painted in my face after the first hours of playing, where im sooo close to GM even still in my Young status. I had hoped to get some of the RAW, no-bull-shit, hardcore, diffecult and "rip-my-hair-from-my-scull-feeling" in UO forever, that the old UO had in the beginning.

Im wondering - where is the satifaction of reaching a goal you have set, of becomming GM in a skill.

I see keine, zip, nada, no, ingen, none reason of having this great skill gaining system, if it realitly isn't used. You might as well, from the begining choose your GM skills, and have max from the start, if you have serveal GM titles after 1 day anyways.

Other than that - ohh its good to be back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see keine, zip, nada, no, ingen, none reason of having this great skill gaining system, if it in realitly isn't used.
Yes. Personally, I would prefer if it took 6 months to make a 7X GM mage-type character.

But, would the server be as populated as it is? I think not, and population is very important.

Skvat

Yes. Personally, I would prefer if it took 6 months to make a 7X GM mage-type character.

But, would the server be as populated as it is? I think not, and population is very important.
I don't know - are people on the server really fans of fast skill gains? Or should i say, click and win.

tkjerner

That's the basic question really. Is it fun when all players are 7*GM Glorious Lords? Why bother then. Its all fake. We all want to be King of the World but providing everybody with the max skills and titles just makes perfection average...there by everything below inadequate.
The result is that 7*GM is the norm and we have to grind for it right away. This is a pain so it is made faster until it might as well have been a menu choice. Thus leaving the whole system pointless.
Very slow gains however would make it a natural part of the game to always have room for improvements. If we had almost no GM skilled people then that would have been the norm, and we would have been impressed to see a mage calling Corp Por.

when all players are 7*GM Glorious Lords?
To be fair, this actually isn't the case. I have no Glorious Lords (I had a Lord with no karma negative or positive for about a week...) and I have characters that aren't 7xGM (but 700 in total skill).

Of course, this is very off topic in this thread, but I will continue.

I agree with what @tkjerner is saying about room for improvement being desirable in the game. My fondest memories come from being a noob, especially with the first time I fought back against a murderer instead of running.
It was in the first level of Covetous; three mages show up, two chase another poor sap, one attacks me. His strategy is to paralyse and hit, followed with paralyse again (sigh); but I am an archer. Despite me disrupting spells and hurting him through the paralysis, he continues his strategy. I kill him out of pure luck on a series of hits, plus he is wasting time with paralyse.

I had about 80 archery and tactics and must have had lower anatomy since I didn't macro. My resisting spells couldn't have been much over 65.
I cut off his head and run to Minoc, where I receive a bit over 10k for it (I miss this too).

Now, this guy can't have been a 7xGM mage-type. He was probably in his 90s for skills.

I know it's rather pointless to go on, but I rather enjoy this kind of gameplay. Generally, people have fallen into the max template way, but there really is a certain joy in a non-maxed world of struggle.

Just saying because the opportunity is here to say it, really.