Need surviving advice!

DingDong

Master
After a life with crafting, gardening, taming and hunting in the woods I have start to hit the dungeons and try them out. It goes pretty good, only died three times yesterday in a hour from pk:s so that wasnt so shabby I think. I would like to have advice on how to maybe survive 1/3 or 2/3 of those times pk:s show up.
The disadvantage from me is that I have absolutely no pvp experience at all, 2 hits from a fencer or one exp/bolt combo and im dead, the record last night were 9 or 10 running away steps before I died, and that was awesome.
I have no macros except a recall macro, if I make macros i cant remember them ☺
My char isnt at all a pvp build char and dont want to have that either on this char. Mage provo hider.
So for just surviving, recall away, not fight back, what do I need to do? Protection, rea armor or m resist spell? How long will the spells be active? Pots? Good buff hotkeys and combos? And other good hints to survive. Dont want to bring 100s of regs, pots and such couse it will crash my economy pretty fast after a few deaths. Just wanna recall in, kill a few mobs go home and bank and be able to flee if reds are farting in my directions.
Yes Ima noob, not ashamed of that :)
With training I can be better, just wanna know what direction to go.

Thanks

Brun

Novice
Magic Reflect + Recall macro.

Keep your eyes open, if you see anyone else (even blues), be prepared to bolt.

Reflect lasts until it is used up or you dispel it. Same with reactive armor. Protection lasts 2 minutes.

Pots, maybe a couple cures and heals to use until you can recall away.

Don't carry much, it's better to lose little if you do die.

SRS, Reflect + recall macro.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
After a life with crafting, gardening, taming and hunting in the woods I have start to hit the dungeons and try them out. It goes pretty good, only died three times yesterday in a hour from pk:s so that wasnt so shabby I think. I would like to have advice on how to maybe survive 1/3 or 2/3 of those times pk:s show up.
The disadvantage from me is that I have absolutely no pvp experience at all, 2 hits from a fencer or one exp/bolt combo and im dead, the record last night were 9 or 10 running away steps before I died, and that was awesome.
My char isnt at all a pvp build char and dont want to have that either on this char. Mage provo hider.
So for just surviving, recall away, not fight back, what do I need to do? Protection, rea armor or m resist spell? How long will the spells be active? Pots? Good buff hotkeys and combos? And other good hints to survive. Dont want to bring 100s of regs, pots and such couse it will crash my economy pretty fast after a few deaths. Just wanna recall in, kill a few mobs go home and bank and be able to flee if reds are farting in my directions.

Thanks

1) have 'show incoming names' selected. This will give you enough notice to mash your recall hotkey as you piss yourself in terror.

2) make sure magic reflect is up at all times. You may vomit into your lap out of sheer panic, but you will reflect the first couple spells if you haven't recalled out yet.

3) carry a few pouches, cure pots, and heal pots. You will need a hotkey for each because there's no way you will be able to open you pack and double click it while screaming unintelligibly at your computer.

4) biggest thing is positioning. Put yourself in a spot where you can see what's coming before it gets line of sight on you. Be aware.

Mango

Grandmaster
1)
2) make sure magic reflect is up at all times. You may vomit into your lap out of sheer panic, but you will reflect the first couple spells if you haven't recalled out yet.

Is there a way to find out when your magic reflect isn't active / expires?

Brun

Novice

Try to cast it again. It will say (i think) "This spell will not adhere to you at this time."

Hmm, now I think it will tell you that if you have Prot, RA, *OR* MR up... I'm at work, can't check now.

You can always dispel yourself then re-cast it.

DingDong

Master
Magic Reflect + Recall macro.

Keep your eyes open, if you see anyone else (even blues), be prepared to bolt.

Reflect lasts until it is used up or you dispel it. Same with reactive armor. Protection lasts 2 minutes.

Pots, maybe a couple cures and heals to use until you can recall away.

Don't carry much, it's better to lose little if you do die.

SRS, Reflect + recall macro.
Yea that sound like a goodi, just a few of each. Trying to have 20 each reg maximum so I dont loose so much when I die. Buff up with some of the spells and potions and hit the monster im after, if red name show up Ill try to recall. Problem has been that i get disrupted when I try to gettaway, is the protection the aid for that or must I have wrestling?
What is SRS stands for?
Thanks for the reply :)

DingDong

Master
1) have 'show incoming names' selected. This will give you enough notice to mash your recall hotkey as you piss yourself in terror.

3) carry a few pouches, cure pots, and heal pots. You will need a hotkey for each because there's no way you will be able to open you pack and double click it while screaming unintelligibly at your computer.

4) biggest thing is positioning. Put yourself in a spot where you can see what's coming before it gets line of sight on you. Be aware.
Hahaha I def understand you, all the piss, womit and screaming, both my neighbours and family wonders what Im doing ☺
Really good advice you had here, I will certainly keep them in mind. Gonna work on a few hotkeys for surviving, I know there is tons of practise but now its about time I wake up and start learning. After 1000 deaths I must have learned some right?
Thanks for reply.

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
Stay one step ahead of the Rover Squads by not staying in the same dungeon for too long, after a few kills, bank the loot and go to your next spot, kill, bank, next spot.

Make a stealth mage and stealth around dungeons watching activity.. You will find many areas that are pretty quiet, even for PKs (Most of them don't track, so you can watch them for some time) .. I've got a few spots I like that I can stay for hours without being bothered, still banking often of course. Mark some runes for good spots.

Set your emergency recall macro, that calls pets too, to your mouse wheel if you can.. One red name and a scroll of the wheel and you're gone.

I have noticed that the majority of PKs here recall to dungeons (and areas within) in usually predictable spots and they run through usually predictable paths so you could make another character on one of your other accounts with stealth and hiding with the sole purpose of either hiding (or visible if no monsters around) in the most treaded path (so they run through you and end up revealing you) a number of screens from where you are hunting in.. In a party with your fighting character.. Once you see the message about your party member getting murdered, get to the bank fast...

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster

Yea try casting it. If it's still up it will say 'this spell is already in effect', if it is used up but still on cool down it will say 'this spell will not adhere to you at this time'.

Cast dispel field on yourself to remove reflect/ra.

Brun

Novice
Problem has been that i get disrupted when I try to gettaway, is the protection the aid for that or must I have wrestling?
What is SRS stands for?
Thanks for the reply :)

SRS is just 'serious' or 'seriously'

Wrestling will help with disruption or (EVAL+ANAT/2) though I suspect you don't have/want those. Protection reduces disruption chance by half, and with GM scribe, 1/8 chance of disruption.

If you've no defensive wrestling, expect to get interrupted a lot. Just be quick on your hotkey and GTFO as soon as trouble approaches.

And yeah, keep changing up spots, and bank your loot frequently.

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
Couple things..
My 1st char has exact same build. If yer provoing mobs, and maybe dropping some Energy Vortexes to speed things up, and 1 or 2 reds show up, you can maybe save some time to ecape by provoking the mob or your EV onto one of the reds. (I always forget cos the warm wetness front of my pants...)
If you hage GM hiding, try this.. run til yer offscreen to the PK(s), once none can see you, hide against a wall.
The only thing that beats the rush of a pants pissing recall away from 3-4 pk zergs is watching them run past you while hidden then calmly recalling away when theyre gone, possible even returning to your farm spot to loot rest of the gold.
Also... Bank. Often.
Most you can lose is regs, an intrument, and whatever youve made since last bank drop... provo mage probly best build to avoid pk losses.. the advice given in this thread is golden... use it and you will fail almost never.
Good advice everyone, you are all pretty fucking smart and helpful and awesome.

DingDong

Master
Stay one step ahead of the Rover Squads by not staying in the same dungeon for too long, after a few kills, bank the loot and go to your next spot, kill, bank, next spot.

Make a stealth mage and stealth around dungeons watching activity.. You will find many areas that are pretty quiet, even for PKs (Most of them don't track, so you can watch them for some time) .. I've got a few spots I like that I can stay for hours without being bothered, still banking often of course.

Set your emergency recall macro, that calls pets too, to your mouse wheel if you can.. One red name and a scroll of the wheel and you're gone.

I have noticed that the majority of PKs here recall to dungeons (and areas within) in usually predictable spots and they run through usually predictable paths so you could make another character on one of your other accounts with stealth and hiding with the sole purpose of either hiding (or visible if no monsters around) in the most treaded path (so they run through you and end up revealing you) a number of screens from where you are hunting in.. In a party with your fighting character.. Once you see the message about your party member getting murdered, get to the bank fast...
Good idea with the second char, will think about it and maybe even gonna try it in a near future.
The funny thing with the red dudes are that, they are so bloody fast, I like to to se how they work, in a matter of seconds they are in my screen, I see the "..... is attacking you" and before i know it half my life or more is gone, I panic and hit every button on the keyboard trying to get away lol they are good and I think that I could never be that good. Seen pvp vids and it looks so simple, a pk attackas a pvm:er and he can put up a long fight before he gets away or die. They last for several minutes and I for a sec or two :p

thriftyuoplayer

Grandmaster
the worst PK is that little fucker Mark Hanna... he stealths right up to you while you're fighting stuff and mows you down with a DP sword :(. only got me once though..

Dj Double D

Grandmaster
Problem with the red zergs is they have a whole list of macros they smash in specific order (or hit 1 button to activate script) designed to hit you all at once.. and since theyre coming at you a) with numbers or b) when ur mana is low and/or you're distracted, you can bet the last thing they want or are able to handle is a fair fight. This is 90% of the dungeon roaming red groups..
Dont let dying to these pissants get you down, heres how I do it.. I recognize that anyone who needs to use numbers or a tactical advantage to win probably has a pathetic real life issue they are trying to compensate for. Problem is that no matter how many PVM blues you zerg, when you log off your dick is still small and the old lady still wont give you any..
Bottom line is, if a group of macro mashing reds gets ya but you had maybe 2k on ya, the jokes on them cos you banked 10 k in the 10 mins before they ran thru, and they have to spit that 2k 5 ways..

DingDong

Master
Problem with the red zergs is they have a whole list of macros they smash in specific order (or hit 1 button to activate script) designed to hit you all at once.. and since theyre coming at you a) with numbers or b) when ur mana is low and/or you're distracted, you can bet the last thing they want or are able to handle is a fair fight. This is 90% of the dungeon roaming red groups..
Dont let dying to these pissants get you down, heres how I do it.. I recognize that anyone who needs to use numbers or a tactical advantage to win probably has a pathetic real life issue they are trying to compensate for. Problem is that no matter how many PVM blues you zerg, when you log off your dick is still small and the old lady still wont give you any..
Bottom line is, if a group of macro mashing reds gets ya but you had maybe 2k on ya, the jokes on them cos you banked 10 k in the 10 mins before they ran thru, and they have to spit that 2k 5 ways..
I see your point and I fully agree with that, I wont let them tired me of, in other hand I start to think about how I can avoid it instead by learning how they do. They will kill me but I can learn from that and dont do that misstake next time, in the end I maybe can get away much more often than now. Learn and see what they do, find a way around it and try that out :)
Macros and such will come, I have to start with a few and have fully control over them before addin new macros and hotkey.
Haha should have a pvp/survivor mentor in game for this kinda stuff :)

Thanks alot, now its time to hit the dungeons.

DingDong

Master
the worst PK is that little fucker Mark Hanna... he stealths right up to you while you're fighting stuff and mows you down with a DP sword :(. only got me once though..

Ack ack, sneaky basterd, hope I wont see him around o_O

@DingDong I love your avatar!! Everytime I see it I picture it playing UO.

Lol I love it to, Still laughing when I see it...If you see a crazy Lama in game, it might be me ;)

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
Some times PKs get totally caught off guard if you pretend to fight back. Even if it's 3 v 1 you fight back a little bit they get a little creeped out. I'm a thief on my PVP guy... the least you'd expect would be me fighting back. Learn your arrgo animal

DingDong

Master
Some times PKs get totally caught off guard if you pretend to fight back. Even if it's 3 v 1 you fight back a little bit they get a little creeped out. I'm a thief on my PVP guy... the least you'd expect would be me fighting back. Learn your arrgo animal
Might be good also, the char Im playing now cant do anything again them, pure pvm, no melee or something, just 1xmagery, bard, hider, picker most for exploring dungeons, pick some chest, provo some mobs and throw some evs at them. Dont mind dying, but if I could flee once in a while it would be awesome :)

Snickle

Grandmaster

Thanks
Hey man welcome to UO.
I run a guild that specializes in helping people like you. We'd join you up and within a week you will know everything you're asking plus a ton more and be a lot richer. We're patient and great teachers. And allot of fun :)

Allot of people in your situation don't realize the utilization of so many things and say "I'd rather get better before joining a guild". But I'll tell you, when I returned to UO in 2008 I played for over a year and finally joined a voice comm and within 3 days I learned so much more than the previous year. Most of the people I recruit now say the same thing.

Here's a better description:
http://uoforum.com/threads/psp-guild-helping-returning-uo-players.55662/page-2#post-415160
PM me if you're interested