Player Written Book Publishing System

Would you like to see this system in game?

• Aye!

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Nay!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sir.

Grandmaster
A while back, I recall a feature where books written by players were able to be obtained from NPC's or stolen from Book Shelves they spawned in under certain conditions. This allowed players to contribute to the world that ultimately became their specific shard lore, history and garbage media, hehe.

What I'd propose is to implement a simple system so that players can write the stories and lore of "this shard" of Britannia (UOForever) that ultimately becomes our game worlds history, making UOForever just that much more unique and worth playing.

1. Books written by players can be taken to the Britain Library and sold to an NPC with a limit of ONE per day (so people can't try to flood/crash the code/server or troll).

2. All submitted books are reviewed by staff or moderators who are given access to these sold books to proof read and prevent any garbage or troll like submissions. This access to proof read books is accessible by all staff and approved mods as necessary to ensure the role can be handled by others if the proof-reader had to drop out of game or something. If the system is popular, we can allow the material to be handled by the public themselves in a vote system of what gets published and save the staff/mods any proofread (unless it is better handled that way) while driving activity to the Forums which is good for server image to newcomers and existing players.

3. If a submitted book is approved, the book will become available for sale at all librarian/scribe NPC's with a limit of X player written books allowed to be sold at one time. We'll call this the "best sellers rack". Player written books will go through a rotation if more than the allotted number are submitted and approved for publishing so that they all can be collected, as this will collaboratively become the history AND culture (fiction writing) of UOForever.

4. Books will also begin spawning in all static "book shelves" across the world and in npc shops. These are available for free viewing to the public, but are locked down and must be stolen by a thief to be obtained from the shelf. The other option is to purchase the book from the scribe/librarian IF it is in rotation. The shelves too should rotate which books are spawned and despawn books out of rotation to make room for the same available best sellers on the NPC's for sale.

5. The publishing of books is dependent on when the server restarts. The server will not need to ever restart at the demands of a title being published. A faculty of the system we can work with and accept.

6. If the system gets little to no attention, it can be scrapped so that it is not a nuisance or burden on staff to have to remember to check up on while focusing on large and popular aspects of the shard.

This will allow us to create something more than a name and forum posts that get buried in time. This will be something that collectors will actually attract to knowing that these are things that actually happened in game and entice them to kindle a stronger relationship with this shard and it's community in hopes of being a name in one of these books one day.

Those who see the benefit in this will do great things with it, and their effects imprinted in the history of our world that will inspire the future, forever.

Huzzah!

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I like the idea, but it may be a little bit to far reaching, or complex. The reality is we can write books today, we can make copies of them, and litter the world if we want.. We can clock them down in player libraries, and people can copy them if they so choose to. Most of what you've submitted can really be maintained at a player level, with the exception of if players move on, lore could be lost, and we lose the element of finding things around the world in bookshelves.

I really like the idea of finding things in bookshelves that could be taken, if they were interesting stories, player written stories, I'd definitely be inclined to try to collect them all. It gives a reason to visit shops, and special rooms in dungeons, which creates opportunities for more types of useful runebooks for collectors. But having a system that requires staff intervention I just don't think will ever work - though I realize if there is no staff intervention, you'll end up with all sorts of trollish books.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I think the original system is still working, I still see books in NPC housing *towns cities etc* which were dropped by players. Nice idea though, great in fact, would certainly add more depth to player created lore.